PDA

View Full Version : Ed Bouchette chat transcript (9/30)

Ozey74
09-30-2008, 07:59 PM
Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript
Tuesday, September 30, 2008
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Katmandu: Ed, the injuries seem to be piling up, and the bye week comes at the right time. As much as I hate to say it, losing Simmons for the year may be a blessing. He hasn't been productive at all this year. Who takes his place as we move forward?

Ed Bouchette: Don't ever let a coach hear you say losing a starter is a blessing. Mike Tomlin said today that he will let Trai Essex and Darnell Stapleton go at it in practice this week and he will declare a winner. My odds are on Essex.

Polamalu_43: Hi Ed, great chat as always! Based on Gerry Dulac's report card, the Steelers are getting the highest grade across four games with their, you guessed it! Special Teams! What would it take to get the offensive line to the same point?

Ed Bouchette: Some new offensive linemen.

Terrible_Trousers: Easy Ed, I know they were doing some different things to take pressure off of the Oline in the second half - 3 step drops and the like - but Stapleton seemed to hold up well, didn't he?

Ed Bouchette: Yes, he did. We'll see what happens next week.

Stillers_Fan_In_Memphis: From the sound of Ben's post-game interview (taking over play-calling to some extent from Arians), and the PG article this morning, sounds like he's finally had enough. Any more info on that coming from the players or coaches?

Ed Bouchette: Mike Tomlin said he did not see that part in the locker room, so he was taken by surprise when he heard about it later. They break off into different meetings and such at halftime. Ben did not take over play-calling from Bruce Arians. They used the no-huddle when QB often calls his own plays.

Katmandu: Ed, could you give an ETA on when we can expect our walking wounded to return to action? I'd like to think that Hampton, Keisel, Townsend and Carey Davis will return after the bye week. What are you hearing?

Ed Bouchette: Townsend played Monday night. Davis is on watch this week, could play or not. Hampton and Willie Parker likely to play in Cincy after bye week. Keisel may take a little longer.

Will_from_Freehold__NJ: Ed, now that Kendall Simmons is out for the season, do you think Stapleton is the answer? How about moving Willie Colon to RG and having Max Starks play right tackle?

Ed Bouchette: Don't look for Colon to move to guard anytime soon -- unless whoever plays there Sunday stinks up the joint.

Sven: Ed, last night's win can't mask the reality that this offense is BROKEN. Can you foresee a scenario in which Tomlin makes an Offensive Coordinator change ?

Ed Bouchette: No.

Terrible_Trousers: Aside from #34 and #73 are there any other significant injuries that occurred last night?

Ed Bouchette: Not really. Davis has a sprained ankle and is iffy for this week. Andre Frazier, carted off the field on a stretcher, is fine and likely will play in Jax.

lambert58: It seems Jeff Reed has stepped up his game recently in being a clutch kicker? Where do you put him among kickers in Steeler history?

Ed Bouchette: I don't know how he could step it up any more. He has a history of being a clutch kicker. Gary Anderson was the standard in that regard but if Reed keeps it up, he'll catch him.

Will_from_Freehold__NJ: Ed, If the Steelers sign Najeh, who should start at RB this Sunday night in Jacksonville if Willie can't go? Mewelde?

Ed Bouchette: They just signed Davenport. Between Moore and Gary Russell, and I would think Moore based on his experience and what he did Monday night.

Free_Tank_Carter: Is there ANY possibility that Colon is moved to RG and Starks comes in at RT?

Ed Bouchette: Not this week.

robhug71: Hey Ed -- Jim Tressel would be proud of that sweater vest. Any chance the steelers bring in Shaun Alexander for a workout?

Ed Bouchette: Little.

Southernmost_Steeler: Unfortunate circumstances, but I am still excited about Gary Russell getting on the field. He has a good combination of size and speed. How has his development been coming along? How much will he factor into this week's game?

Ed Bouchette: I can't answer that because we haven't seen enough of him. He was released by the Steelers and no one claimed him, and he's been on their practice squad since last week and available to the rest of the NFL. However, I too like what I've seen from him and am looking forward to seeing how he does.

Will_from_Freehold__NJ: As well as Larry Foote has been playing, Lawrence Timmons is breathing down Foote's neck for playing time. Do you think Timmons will eventually take Foote's job or is he being groomed to be Farriors replacement once he retires or leaves?

Ed Bouchette: Larry Foote is making it very difficult for the coaches to remove him from the field. I think they like things just the way they are right now -- Timmons plays in the nickel and plays an occasional snap or series for Foote.

First published on September 30, 2008 at 2:24 pm

BigBen2112
09-30-2008, 08:12 PM
Bouchette is a complete douch-bag and he can be fired too for all I care. He is a lousy reporter and rarely is anything but condescending.

Plus, half of the Steeler fans know more than he does about what is going on.