PDA

View Full Version : An outsider looking in and simply observing on the Steel....

Hardliner
09-30-2008, 04:12 PM
First of all, and let's get this upfront, I would not presume to know anywhere near the knowledge of the Steelers that most of you possess. I am a veteran in terms of observing NFL play over the years, so, in that context, I'll offer the following after having viewed the MNF contest between Pittsburgh and Baltimore:

(By the way, if I appear to be 'Capt Obvious' in your view, I can dig that too as this post is only about another's observation and opinion, are we cool with that?):

OFFENSE: Ben is far better at ad-libbing than following a gameplan. I don't know if that's good or bad but it is what it is. When the Steel went to no-huddle in the 2d half, the offense came alive, moved the ball, and had the Ravens guessing and back on their heels somewhat. Before that? It was like Balto was in the huddle with the Steel.

The rest of the game in all its elements (defense, special teams) were fairly standard and not worthy of my input. One more thing though:

INTANGIBLES: This is an area where a viewer gets a 'feel' for which team wants it more than the other. I never got that 'feel' that Pittsburgh wanted it more, although the outcome suggests they did. I'm good with that and glad for that outcome, but never had 'the feel', you know?

Anyway, congrats on the victory, well deserving and won against early adversity. That's my take and ummm, I'm sticking to it! :Beer

MeetJoeGreene
09-30-2008, 04:57 PM
I have always felt, too, that Ben was better after the play broke down. Well... let me check that .. if the play works out TO PERFECTION (i.e. his FIRST read) then he is fine. Otherwise, I think he is better ad-hoc. I just wish his ad-hoc included more check-downs.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-30-2008, 04:58 PM
I have always felt, too, that Ben was better after the play broke down. Well... let me check that .. if the play works out TO PERFECTION (i.e. his FIRST read) then he is fine. Otherwise, I think he is better ad-hoc. I just wish his ad-hoc included more check-downs.

"ad-hoc" : Latin; "no check-downs".

steelblood
09-30-2008, 05:00 PM
Ravens D is and always has been tough as nails. They always come to play the Steelers.

I'm not sure why you said the Steelers' defense was "fairly standard and not worthy of [your] comment." That seems flip and condescending. I thought that James Harrison and Lamar Woodley were certainly game changers and "worthy" of comment. But, I appreciate and enjoy defense.

To your point about wanting it more, certainly Ben, Santonio, Moore, Harrison, and Woodley wanted it in the second half. It wasn't a thing of beauty. But, when you play the Ravens, it rarely is.

anger 82&95
09-30-2008, 05:17 PM
I would have to say that Troy P. has been better than “Standard” this year. Regarding last night, he did bite on to that one play like a largemouth on a Senko, but otherwise he was a force on the field.

stlrz d
09-30-2008, 08:15 PM
First of all, and let's get this upfront, I would not presume to know anywhere near the knowledge of the Steelers that most of you possess. I am a veteran in terms of observing NFL play over the years, so, in that context, I'll offer the following after having viewed the MNF contest between Pittsburgh and Baltimore:

(By the way, if I appear to be 'Capt Obvious' in your view, I can dig that too as this post is only about another's observation and opinion, are we cool with that?):

OFFENSE: Ben is far better at ad-libbing than following a gameplan. I don't know if that's good or bad but it is what it is. When the Steel went to no-huddle in the 2d half, the offense came alive, moved the ball, and had the Ravens guessing and back on their heels somewhat. Before that? It was like Balto was in the huddle with the Steel.

The rest of the game in all its elements (defense, special teams) were fairly standard and not worthy of my input. One more thing though:

INTANGIBLES: This is an area where a viewer gets a 'feel' for which team wants it more than the other. I never got that 'feel' that Pittsburgh wanted it more, although the outcome suggests they did. I'm good with that and glad for that outcome, but never had 'the feel', you know?

Anyway, congrats on the victory, well deserving and won against early adversity. That's my take and ummm, I'm sticking to it! :Beer

I put that squarely on Bruce Arians' complete lack of creativity.

I would have to say that Troy P. has been better than “Standard” this year. Regarding last night, he did bite on to that one play like a largemouth on a Senko, but otherwise he was a force on the field.

One of my favorite bass lures!

Ozey74
09-30-2008, 09:38 PM
To your point about wanting it more, certainly Ben, Santonio, Moore, Harrison, and Woodley wanted it in the second half. It wasn't a thing of beauty. But, when you play the Ravens, it rarely is.

No, it wasn't a thing of beauty. I'd rather win ugly than to lose pretty.

:Beer

anger 82&95
09-30-2008, 09:47 PM
[quote=Hardliner]First of all, and let's get this upfront, I would not presume to know anywhere near the knowledge of the Steelers that most of you possess. I am a veteran in terms of observing NFL play over the years, so, in that context, I'll offer the following after having viewed the MNF contest between Pittsburgh and Baltimore:

I put that squarely on Bruce Arians' complete lack of creativity.

One of my favorite bass lures![/quote:210r4g6a] Yes, they are an awesome lure for bass.

RuthlessBurgher
10-01-2008, 08:08 PM
Congrats on the win over Denver, Hardliner!

LJ looked like his old self again.

It is perfect example of how records get thrown out in division rivalry games...the winless can topple the undefeated...and it relatively convincing fashion at that!

Your team also helped me by knocking out about half the folks remaining in my suicide pool at work, so now it is down to me and 7 others for the $150 prize.

Iron Shiek
10-01-2008, 11:08 PM
Congrats on the win over Denver, Hardliner!

LJ looked like his old self again.

It is perfect example of how records get thrown out in division rivalry games...the winless can topple the undefeated...and it relatively convincing fashion at that!

Your team also helped me by knocking out about half the folks remaining in my suicide pool at work, so now it is down to me and 7 others for the $150 prize.

LJ just rumbled through the two worst defenses in the league running wise. I have been a LJ backer for several years now and usually watch some of his drives. The last two weeks he has looked so slow its ridiculous. He is getting caught from behind on those big runs he's had every time. He is slow to hit the hole too...I think he isn't the same runner he used to be unfortunately.

As for suicide pools, the $30,000 one I was in that started with over 1500 people is down to 215 already. Freakin ridiculous.