PDA

View Full Version : Kiffin Fired - Davis not going to pay his contract

Ghost
09-30-2008, 01:04 PM
Mortensen is reporting on ESPN right now that Al Davis fired Kiffin over the phone this morning and he's not going to honor his contract and is not paying him for the rest of the season.

Kiffin will have to file a grievance to get his money.

Al Davis is total scum (besides being a crazy joke of an owner).

LasVegasGuy
09-30-2008, 01:08 PM
Mortensen is reporting on ESPN right now that Al Davis fired Kiffin over the phone this morning and he's not going to honor his contract and is not paying him for the rest of the season.

Has the old man officially become senile? It's called a contract dumba s s. The one contract that is guaranteed is the coach's. It's not like you are cutting a player big difference.

Al Davis has some bad legal advice if he thinks he can fire Kiffin and not pay him. What a joke! Committment to stupid should be the new Raiders motto.

RuthlessBurgher
09-30-2008, 01:09 PM

Nice work, Al. After the hearing, you will have to pay Kiffin his money as well as all of the legal expenses for Kiffin's lawyer. Just win, baby! :roll:

Jom112
09-30-2008, 01:09 PM
Al Davis is an idiot. Who the hell is gonna want to coach for the Raiders knowing they could get terminated without pay at any time...

Mel Blount's G
09-30-2008, 01:13 PM
Haha! I love it! Meltdown in faidertown!

And I thought the bungals were a mess......

ANPSTEEL
09-30-2008, 01:16 PM
Al Davis is an idiot. Who the hell is gonna want to coach for the Raiders knowing they could get terminated without pay at any time...

seriously, -

I can't imagine any coach wanting to work for the raiders, knowing that Al is really running the show- and you, as the head coach, are just a figurehead...

but now add to this problem- by creating the probability of Raider ownership not honoring a written employment contract!!!--

how the F- do they expect anyone to agree to coach for that team???

of course- aside from who ever they hire as "interm"- some dummy will in fact agree to be the next head coach of the raiders; and the team will continue to sprial down into the crapper - until Davis is no longer in control.

BigBen2112
09-30-2008, 01:26 PM
Hire Kiffin as OC!!! :D

Oviedo
09-30-2008, 01:36 PM

Cmon Ben. We don't always agree but when have you ever seen a team change OCs mid season and have any type of success. It's noit like Kiffin would be able to implement his system or anything. The only realistic change is Andersin becoming OC and he has never done that has he?

New and shiney doesn't mean better.

Do an evaluation at the end of the season and if Arians hasn't made the grade, make the change but you don't switch mid season unless you are throwing in the towel. A little premature for that.

Jom112
09-30-2008, 01:46 PM
Cmon Ben. We don't always agree but when have you ever seen a team change OCs mid season and have any type of success. It's noit like Kiffin would be able to implement his system or anything. The only realistic change is Andersin becoming OC and he has never done that has he?

Do an evaluation at the end of the season and if Arians hasn't made the grade, make the change but you don't switch mid season unless you are throwing in the towel. A little premature for that.

If anything maybe hire Kiffin as a "consultant". Let him get familiar with the offense and place some heat on Arians.

Haha! I love it! Meltdown in faidertown!

And I thought the bungals were a mess......

We are a mess. Marvin Lewis needs to be fired already, as well as Bob Bratkowski. Brat is giving Arians a good run for worst OC in the division.

As for Marvin, I'm tired of him throwing the players under the bus and letting the coaching staff not take any accountability for their failures...

Jom112
09-30-2008, 02:06 PM
Thread Hijack!!! I might actually get my wish.

http://www.profootballcentral.com/2008/ ... d-of-week/ (http://www.profootballcentral.com/2008/09/29/source-bengals-could-fire-marvin-lewis-by-end-of-week/)

Sources have informed Pro Football Central that the Cincinnati Bengals are nearing toward a decision that could result in head coach Marvin Lewis being fired by the end of the week. The source also states that owner Mike Brown is also deciding upon whether to name assistant head coach Paul Alexander or defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer as the interim head coach. The Bengals are 0-4 for the first time since 2002, when they went a franchise-worst 2-12 that got coach Dick LeBeau fired.

It makes too much sense to be true though. If the story said Mike Brown to give Marvin Lewis an extension on the cheap while his stock is low, I would probably believe it more...

BigBen2112
09-30-2008, 06:54 PM

I think Kiffin would be a good/great OC and I could see him easily getting a position with another team in a related capacity.

Arians has gotta go, period!

NorthCoast
09-30-2008, 09:09 PM
Saw Davis' PC on ESPN. The guy has really lost it....a poor slobbering old fool, unrespected by everyone. Rambled on about he said/she said between the HC and assistants.

Only way I would sign up as coach would be CASH IN ADVANCE!

(he may have to pay Kiffin his contract, but he can easily afford to tie the case up in court for years if he wanted to.)

buckeyehoppy
09-30-2008, 10:41 PM

Here's an idea, BB.

Hire Kiffin as a Steelers "consultant" immediately.

Let Alice Davis know that Kiffin won't chase his @$$ into court to honor the terms of his D Cell Chucker contract...if Alice furnishes the D Cell Chuckers 1st Round Pick to the Steelers in exchange for the balance of his Raiders contract.

Basically, the Steelers would agree to pay the terms of Kiffin's D Cell Chucker contract in return for their 1st Rounder in the 2009 Draft.

This wouldn't be tampering, because Alice didn't want Kiffin anymore and the Steelers would let Alice off the hook for the contract.

Seems fair, and legit, to me!

Then, after the Steelers play their last game this season, Arians gets the bum's rush and Kiffin is named as the new OC.

BigBen2112
09-30-2008, 10:56 PM

Here's an idea, BB.

Hire Kiffin as a Steelers "consultant" immediately.

Let Alice Davis know that Kiffin won't chase his @$$ into court to honor the terms of his D Cell Chucker contract...if Alice furnishes the D Cell Chuckers 1st Round Pick to the Steelers in exchange for the balance of his Raiders contract.

Basically, the Steelers would agree to pay the terms of Kiffin's D Cell Chucker contract in return for their 1st Rounder in the 2009 Draft.

This wouldn't be tampering, because Alice didn't want Kiffin anymore and the Steelers would let Alice off the hook for the contract.

Seems fair, and legit, to me!

Then, after the Steelers play their last game this season, Arians gets the bum's rush and Kiffin is named as the new OC.

Sounds good to me. I would name Kiffin as OC and assistant HC to make him happy and as a consultant this year.

Listen teams HAVE used draft picks as compensation for coaching moves before...I do believe that TB did it with Gruden?!

buckeyehoppy
09-30-2008, 11:15 PM
Sounds good to me. I would name Kiffin as OC and assistant HC to make him happy and as a consultant this year.

Listen, teams HAVE used draft picks as compensation for coaching moves before...I do believe that TB did it with Gruden?!

Yeah! I believe Tampa made their deal with...Alice Davis and the D Cell Lobbers!!!

There is precedent!!!

:tt2 :tt2 :tt2

BigBen2112
09-30-2008, 11:27 PM

Listen, teams HAVE used draft picks as compensation for coaching moves before...I do believe that TB did it with Gruden?!

Yeah! I believe Tampa made their deal with...Alice Davis and the D Cell Lobbers!!!

There is precedent!!!

:tt2 :tt2 :tt2

I'd be all for it. He'd save face and money and we'd gain a pick...probably more likely a later round pick than a 1st (2-3rd would be nice though).

BigBen2112
09-30-2008, 11:36 PM
As a note the Bucs traded their 2002 and 2003 1st/2nd round picks and 8 million dollars to Oakland to get Gruden.

In order for Davis to save face we could get a 1st/2nd easily.

ikestops85
10-01-2008, 01:03 PM
In a word -- NO!! In two words -- HELL NO!!!

What has Kiffin EVER done in the NFL that would make anyone think he was qualified to be an Offensive Coordinator. Are the Raiders an offensive powerhouse? No, the only thing you can say about their offense is it's offensive -- to watch.

Look, I know there is a lot of sentiment to fire Arians but let's look to replace him with someone good ... not every Tom, Dick, and Harry that comes along. Hell, why not hire Brian Billick as OC. At least he was successful in that position in the NFL. Some even considered him a genius :roll:

RuthlessBurgher
10-01-2008, 09:56 PM
This was kind of funny:

Former Raiders coach Shanahan feels Kiffin's pain after firing
Associated Press

Updated: October 1, 2008, 7:20 PM ET

Mike Shanahan Comments On Raiders Situation

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Mike Shanahan feels Lane Kiffin's pain -- or is it relief?

Like Kiffin, who was jettisoned by the Oakland Raiders this week, Shanahan was fired by Al Davis four games into the 1989 season with a pledge by the enigmatic owner not to pay him what was left on his contract.

"I was a little disappointed, to be honest with you. When you take a look at it, I was there 582 days. Lane Kiffin was there 616 days. So, what it really means is that Al Davis liked Lane more than he liked me," Shanahan joked during his weekly news conference Wednesday.

"I really don't think it's fair. I won three more games, yet he got 34 more days of work. That just doesn't seem right," he said.

Did Shanahan, whose feud with Davis simmers each time the Denver Broncos play their AFC West archrival, really count the days both men were in Oakland?

"I knew how many days I was there. I just wasn't sure how long Lane was there," Shanahan said. "And then I found out after that press conference that Al really liked Lane more than me because he lasted 34 more days. That's 34 more days of pay, you think about that? And I had three more wins than him. That doesn't seem right, does it?"

Asked if he was sure Kiffin got paid for those 34 extra days, Shanahan laughed.

"No, I can't guarantee that," he said, chuckling.

Shanahan and Davis have long fought over the $250,000 the coach contends he was owed when he was dismissed, and Davis' refusal to pay up, or to donate the money to Oakland's public schools as Shanahan later requested, has added plenty of spice to the bitter rivalry between two of the original AFL franchises.

The Raiders said Kiffin (5-15) was fired for cause, meaning they will not pay him for the remainder of the three-year deal worth about $6 million he signed when he took over in January 2007.

Does Shanahan have any advice for Kiffin on getting his money, a reporter asked, drawing laughs from his fellow journalists but not from Shanahan.

"I think I've addressed that enough right now," he said. "Let's talk about Tampa."

Shanahan also didn't want to respond to Davis' latest jab.

After his news conference to explain his firing of Kiffin, Davis was asked about coaches he's fired who have had subsequent success with other teams, including Shanahan, who went 8-12 in Oakland in 1988-89 but won Super Bowl titles in 1997 and '98 with the Broncos.

"Shanahan has an asterisk next to those two Super Bowls, because they were caught cheating," Davis said, referring to a salary cap violation.

"I don't think I have to go down that road anymore," Shanahan said.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press