PDA

View Full Version : Davenport is back

Oviedo
09-30-2008, 11:36 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08274/916247-66.stm

Not surprising. Hopefully Russell gets his chances and Davenport is the third choice.

This is a logical move given his familiarity with the offense.

RuthlessBurgher
09-30-2008, 11:48 AM
CRAP!

(I don't really feel this way...I just thought a fecal-related exclamation would be appropriate for Dookie's return). :lol:

calmkiller
09-30-2008, 11:49 AM
Nothing about this tells me they are even thinking about bringing Russel up. Davenport would take the roster spot that Russel would have taken. So now you have to cut someone else to bring Russel up. Because they are hopefully going to sign an OL as well to replace Simmons or at least add depth.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-30-2008, 11:51 AM
Holy cow!

What was he doing up until now?

Does he own a pair of gray sweats?

Discipline of Steel
09-30-2008, 12:21 PM
Dont forget we have an excess of reserve linebackers with Woods, Frazier, and Bailey. Frazier might end up DL, also Woods may return soon and Bailey could be traded back to the PS for Russell.

MeetJoeGreene
09-30-2008, 12:24 PM
Nothing about this tells me they are even thinking about bringing Russel up. Davenport would take the roster spot that Russel would have taken. So now you have to cut someone else to bring Russel up. Because they are hopefully going to sign an OL as well to replace Simmons or at least add depth.

Wow. that is a really good point.

Again ... when did Russell drink a big ole' cup of suck??

RuthlessBurgher
09-30-2008, 12:28 PM
Dont forget we have an excess of reserve linebackers with Woods, Frazier, and Bailey. Frazier might end up DL, also Woods may return soon and Bailey could be traded back to the PS for Russell.

They also activated Bruce Davis to play some special teams last night, so I would think that they could afford to let one of these extra LB's go in order to be able to have 4 active RB's in Jacksonville: Moore, Davenport, Russell, and Carey Davis (if healthy...if not, then Sean McHugh will play more FB and less TE).

SteelStallion
09-30-2008, 12:42 PM
I'd like to see Russell get some carries. Kid has talent.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-30-2008, 01:18 PM
Anyone know where Dump Truck has been since getting cut?

BTW, please remind me when he was cut - preseason, or last year?

RuthlessBurgher
09-30-2008, 01:43 PM

He was released on 7-6-08.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-30-2008, 01:46 PM

He was released on 7-6-08.

Thank you, RuthlessBurgher ! Hopefully he's been working out hard since then!

ghettoscott
09-30-2008, 02:03 PM
....what about Sean Alexander? He aint doing nothing.... :?:

calmkiller
09-30-2008, 02:18 PM
Okay according to Mike Tomlin's press conference they are looking to add two running backs for this weeks game. Stapleton and Essex are to battle for the RG spot. but he also said he hasn't ruled out Colon at RG. But the short term solution is between Stapleton and Essex. So now our concern is why aren't we signing another Lineman?

Shawn
09-30-2008, 03:57 PM
I'm not crazy about this move. We all know Dookie sucks. I would rather see our young talent in Russell and Vincent.

Oviedo
09-30-2008, 04:08 PM
I'm not crazy about this move. We all know Dookie sucks. I would rather see our young talent in Russell and Vincent.

It's probably about experience and blocking. Davenport knows the system and was the 3rd down back last year. That means he understands blitz pick up which as we have seen is an imperative. Trusting Ben to untested Russell or Vincent would not be a smart move.

phillyesq
09-30-2008, 04:27 PM
Bringing back Davenport tells me that the Steelers have really lost faith in Gary Russell. Very unfortunate. I was hoping that he would make the most of this opportunity, and give the Steelers the problem of finding work for three really good rbs next year. But, if he can't even get activated from the P.S. after the rest of the rbs go down, I don't think that bodes well for his future as a Steeler.

ikestops85
09-30-2008, 05:18 PM
Bringing back Davenport tells me that the Steelers have really lost faith in Gary Russell. Very unfortunate. I was hoping that he would make the most of this opportunity, and give the Steelers the problem of finding work for three really good rbs next year. But, if he can't even get activated from the P.S. after the rest of the rbs go down, I don't think that bodes well for his future as a Steeler.

It makes me wonder why they even bothered to sign him to the practice squad. Seems kind of pointless if you never plan on using him. Given the lack of power running backs this team has I think they should give him a chance.

AngryAsian
09-30-2008, 05:18 PM

With Parker out and Davis with his ankle, it made sense to bring in a third RB. Russell will get PT and from last night's performance, Moore will see more action.... FINALLY, PLAYS THAT INCORPORATE A RUNNING BACK IN THE PASSING GAME!

Shawn
09-30-2008, 05:32 PM

Wow. that is a really good point.

Again ... when did Russell drink a big ole' cup of suck??

Good question...it has left alot of the local "insiders" also very confused. I know guys like Turch really like the guy and want to see more of him. But, obviously the coaches have seen more of him than any of us and don't think much of him.

Shawn
09-30-2008, 05:34 PM

It's probably about experience and blocking. Davenport knows the system and was the 3rd down back last year. That means he understands blitz pick up which as we have seen is an imperative. Trusting Ben to untested Russell or Vincent would not be a smart move.

Unfortunately I think you are onto something. I believe the main hit Russell has received from coaching is his inability to pick up the blits which is obviously an issue with our current line.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-01-2008, 09:12 AM
Keep in mind, hopefully this is only a one game move. We have Jax this week and then the bye. By that time they expect FWP and hopefully Davis to be back. Anyone who is signed now should not be dressing after the bye.

Oviedo
10-01-2008, 09:12 AM

I don't agree that they have lost faith in Russell. The Davenport hsigning had nothing to do with what they think about Russell it was all about the depleted numbers in the backfield. They needed another body in addition to Russell who they already had a string on.

Russell not being on the 53 man roster is just a numbers game. They needed another LB for ST which is why he was cut, but then they immediately resigned him. Not something you do with someone who you don't have faith in.

He was not playing simply because of numbers. FWP was the #1, Menedenhall is your #1 draft pick and by default your #2, Moore was just signed to a decent contract so you are going to use him as your #3 and Davis was your FB with a TE (McHugh) backing him up and saving a game day roster spot by filling a back up role at two positions.

Until the recent injuries, the backfield was just too crowed for Russell. Now he gets a window of opportunity. Let's hope he shows he deserves it.