PDA

View Full Version : Should Ariens be fired THIS WEEK, before the Jags game?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-30-2008, 11:10 AM
Let's see what the consensus is ....

costanza2k1
09-30-2008, 11:12 AM
You should make the poll yes or no...no opinions or statements in there.

BigBen2112
09-30-2008, 11:20 AM
I agree. It should be YES or NO.

I will say this, that with the short week it may not be the best to fire him now...but without a doubt I would fire him after next week because we could look for replacement during bye week and have more time to prepare and get everything together.

But he needs to go.

costanza2k1
09-30-2008, 11:21 AM

I will say this, that with the short week it may not be the best to fire him now...but without a doubt I would fire him after next week because we could look for replacement during bye week and have more time to prepare and get everything together.

But he needs to go.

Starting to hear some radio rumblings that Kenny Anderson may start calling plays

BigBen2112
09-30-2008, 11:24 AM

But he needs to go.

Starting to hear some radio rumblings that Kenny Anderson may start calling plays

And that's fine.

IF you guys remember I said that Tomlin or someone should take over playcalling for the rest of the year and Arians should be tanked and a new OC found.

If we want to fire Arians this week or during the bye week then sweet...but I think that either way the play caller needs to change.

I think that the talent is there, but the execution isnt and the play calling is not helping that at all...actually hurting it in my opinion.

stlrz d
09-30-2008, 02:06 PM
No. He should be gone after the Jags game when we have more time to get a new OC up to speed.

BigBen2112
09-30-2008, 06:52 PM
No. He should be gone after the Jags game when we have more time to get a new OC up to speed.

Yep exactly.

Oh and btw...I think he needs to NOT be calling any plays in the Jags game as well.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-01-2008, 09:33 AM
Certainly not this week if we have a bye coming up after the game. Out of curiosity, does KA have any experience as a play caller?

BigBen2112
10-01-2008, 09:49 AM
Certainly not this week if we have a bye coming up after the game. Out of curiosity, does KA have any experience as a play caller?

I dont think he does...but then again he still couldn't be as bad as BA.

Also, I dont see a reason why we cant go out and hire someone as a "consultant" and then next year make them the OC!

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-01-2008, 09:52 AM

Also, I dont see a reason why we cant go out and hire someone as a "consultant" and then next year make them the OC!

What's Jim Fassel doing?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-01-2008, 09:53 AM

What's Jim Fassel doing?

frankthetank1
10-01-2008, 09:59 AM

What's Jim Fassel doing?

beat me to it!!

proudpittsburgher
10-01-2008, 11:02 AM

Get a new OC up to speed? With an entirely foreign offense, and entirely foreign personell, in an entirely new front office to him? Not likely. Mike Tomlin is the coach here, and he can guide Bruce Arians offensive gameplan if need be, but you leave the coaches as they are until seasons end. It may have been a mistake to not make a move before the season started, but you are stuck with that decision now, and you must work within that parameter.

BigBen2112
10-01-2008, 11:05 AM

Get a new OC up to speed? With an entirely foreign offense, and entirely foreign personell, in an entirely new front office to him? Not likely. Mike Tomlin is the coach here, and he can guide Bruce Arians offensive gameplan if need be, but you leave the coaches as they are until seasons end. It may have been a mistake to not make a move before the season started, but you are stuck with that decision now, and you must work within that parameter.

I advocated such a position a week ago when Bruce showed his true colors once again...but I am in agreement that Tomlin wont take over playcalling and that BA has to go before this whole season is ruined by him!

AngryAsian
10-01-2008, 11:07 AM
I don't think in the middle of the season, but most definitely in the offseason. The guy is a turd of a play caller.

Oviedo
10-01-2008, 11:42 AM

Absolutley correct. Trying to bring in a new OC from the outside would be a disaster and likely Ben would run roughshod over him. I love Ben, but his ego is the size of Canada and he has a gunslinger mentality that needs to be tempered. A change in OC if required needs to be made in the off season so you have the entire off season for Ben and the new OC to get on the same sheet of music. The only midseason change that would have any chance of being successful would be ken Anderson and for all we know he would be worse.

BigBen2112
10-01-2008, 11:47 AM

Absolutley correct. Trying to bring in a new OC from the outside would be a disaster and likely Ben would run roughshod over him. I love Ben, but his ego is the size of Canada and he has a gunslinger mentality that needs to be tempered. A change in OC if required needs to be made in the off season so you have the entire off season for Ben and the new OC to get on the same sheet of music. The only midseason change that would have any chance of being successful would be ken Anderson and for all we know he would be worse.

IF required?

You're not convinced? LOL That's hysterical.

And if we're waiting until the offseason (which I advocated last week remember) then pull the clipboard out of Arians hands and have someone else do the playcalling the rest of the season.

This season will go up in smoke if Arians continues his normal crap on offense. Pull the plug or pull the clipboard out of his hands and pull the plug later.

frankthetank1
10-01-2008, 11:49 AM

IF required?

You're not convinced? LOL That's hysterical.

And if we're waiting until the offseason (which I advocated last week remember) then pull the clipboard out of Arians hands and have someone else do the playcalling the rest of the season.

This season will go up in smoke if Arians continues his normal crap on offense. Pull the plug or pull the clipboard out of his hands and pull the plug later.

:Clap :Clap those are my thoughts on ba. i just hope that they do make some adjustments. i never liked the hire from day one. the only reason the offense had the success it did last year is because of ben. thank god we have a qb that calls plays some of the time and thank god we have a coach that will now trust ben to have some freedom

stlrz d
10-01-2008, 02:18 PM

Someone within the organization would not be new to the playbook.

As for Fassel...he couldn't cut it in Baltimore. Billick took over and their offense responded. No thanks!

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-05-2008, 09:51 AM
OK, the poll was set up to time out today, so voting is closed!

60%-40% wanted to keep Ariens in place this week, some poll respondents qualifying their votes with comments like "but have someone else call the plays".

We'll see how people feel when they go to bed tonight after the game. Even though I was one that voted to can the fool this past week (with Ariens and Ben calling the plays), I hope his play calling tonight will be so stellar that I change my mind and hope he stays all season long!

Flasteel
10-05-2008, 11:38 AM

Make it a third person that agrees with this. You won't find a bigger critic of Arians or anyone who's been bitching about him longer than yours truly. However, to let him go in the middle of the season is reactionary and it's not going to happen. I would love to see him relieved of play-calling duties and have Ben start calling his own plays with Arians (or Anderson) serving as more of a sounding board for down and distance options.

I think he deserved a second chance after last year, even though I was calling for his job after the playoff loss. But he got his opportunity and showed that he cannot adapt to his situation on offense and is clueless on how to help out his line. He and Zierlein have also been miserable in talent evaluation up front based on Colon/ Starks in my opinion. So there is zero reason to keep these zeros beyond this season. Unless something dramatic occurs, I expect them both to be gone after the season, or I may be adding Tomlin to my list.

AngryAsian
10-05-2008, 11:48 AM

Make it a third person that agrees with this. You won't find a bigger critic of Arians or anyone who's been bitching about him longer than yours truly. However, to let him go in the middle of the season is reactionary and it's not going to happen. I would love to see him relieved of play-calling duties and have Ben start calling his own plays with Arians (or Anderson) serving as more of a sounding board for down and distance options.

I think he deserved a second chance after last year, even though I was calling for his job after the playoff loss. But he got his opportunity and showed that he cannot adapt to his situation on offense and is clueless on how to help out his line. He and Zierlein have also been miserable in talent evaluation up front based on Colon/ Starks in my opinion. So there is zero reason to keep these zeros beyond this season. Unless something dramatic occurs, I expect them both to be gone after the season, or I may be adding Tomlin to my list.

Make it fourth... Fla, I can remember our triad of conversations with NKy on how Bruce will not be the one to lead us to the promise land. The guy can't even design a play that incorporates a pass catching threat out of the backfield. Look at how Moore single-handedly stretched the number one rated defense last Monday. Agreed on the second chance after last year's offensive successes. We're stuck with Bruce until season's end.

BigBen2112
10-05-2008, 11:50 AM
Again, Bruce Arians should be fired. Not this week though. Maybe before the Bye week...but definitely at the end of the season.

And during the time that he's still here...someone ELSE should be doing the playcalling.

BigBen2112
10-05-2008, 11:51 AM

Make it fourth... Fla, I can remember our triad of conversations with NKy on how Bruce will not be the one to lead us to the promise land. The guy can't even design a play that incorporates a pass catching threat out of the backfield. Look at how Moore single-handedly stretched the number one rated defense last Monday. Agreed on the second chance after last year's offensive successes. We're stuck with Bruce until season's end.

Yeah well this season might just be wasted completely then...but hey what the hell is the difference?

Arians better be gone next year or we're going to continue to waste good seasons with this talent for nothing. The guy is a complete dunce...and I think people give him TOO much credit for Ben last year.

AngryAsian
10-05-2008, 11:53 AM
Again, Bruce Arians should be fired.

definitely at the end of the season.

And during the time that he's still here...someone ELSE should be doing the playcalling.

Now you're part of the majority. :P