PDA

View Full Version : Goaline defense on Ravens final score.

steelblood
09-30-2008, 10:16 AM
Ravens at 2 yard line. Silverback and Foote - out. Patrick Bailey and Timmons - in.

Wah? Foote is certainly a better goaline defender than Timmons. And Bailey? That was just nuts.

BigBen2112
09-30-2008, 10:22 AM
Ravens at 2 yard line. Silverback and Foote - out. Patrick Bailey and Timmons - in.

Wah? Foote is certainly a better goaline defender than Timmons. And Bailey? That was just nuts.

The refs missed a CLEAR hands to the face on Bailey though. The OL almost knocked his head off. That should have been a penalty.

Bailey has played well...on special teams. I think you are right, though, that he probably should not have been in the game in that situation...and Timmons got RUN OVER!

RussBII
09-30-2008, 10:32 AM

The refs missed a CLEAR hands to the face on Bailey though. The OL almost knocked his head off. That should have been a penalty.

Bailey has played well...on special teams. I think you are right, though, that he probably should not have been in the game in that situation...and Timmons got RUN OVER!

That RB is a big boy... and Timmons didn't hit him head on. Momentum helped a lot. Now... Levon Kirkland woulda knocked that RB backwards.... I think Timmons stops most RBs in that situation, but he was clearly on the wrong side of the size mismatch.

I checked NFL.com
Timmons is listed at 6'1" 234 lbs
That McClain kid is 6'0" 260...

proudpittsburgher
09-30-2008, 10:34 AM

That RB is a big boy... and Timmons didn't hit him head on. Momentum helped a lot. Now... Levon Kirkland woulda knocked that RB backwards.... I think Timmons stops most RBs in that situation, but he was clearly on the wrong side of the size mismatch.

I checked NFL.com

And McClain used his leverage as well, which was smart. The hit slowed him, but he just rolled his shoulders over the top to regain his momentum. It was a very smart and solid goalline run.

Ghost
09-30-2008, 10:38 AM
Can't blame Timmons on that one. A huge RB who has built up a head of steam will always have the momentum on his side. He would have run over most LB's in that situation.

It happens to the best of them - remember the Bus steamrolling Urlacher a few years back?

steelblood
09-30-2008, 11:10 AM
No one is blaming Timmons. However, Timmons does not meet big backs or blockers as well as Foote. That along with replacing Silverback with Bailey were blunders by our coaching staff.

Jom112
09-30-2008, 11:31 AM

I checked NFL.com

234 is awfully small for an LB, does anyone know if that's his actual playing weight? Steelers should be trying to bulk him up if it is. Especially if he's going to part of the goal line unit. From watching him on the field though, he doesn't appear undersized so I wouldn't be surprised if his actual weight is 242 or something.

I remember when we had two small LB's in Landon Johnson and Caleb Miller. Both would get run over a lot. Landon finally bulked up his last season with us and went from the 230's to the 240's which helped him out immensely...

dcsteelerfan
09-30-2008, 12:29 PM
No one is blaming Timmons. However, Timmons does not meet big backs or blockers as well as Foote. That along with replacing Silverback with Bailey were blunders by our coaching staff.

McClain's momentum is moving forward and he has like 25 lbs on Timmons. The result is not surprising to me, though Jaws was so excited as if Timmons was 260 lbs and McClain 234 lbs.

LasVegasGuy
09-30-2008, 01:13 PM
Did anyone catch the 5 yard cushion we were giving the recievers at the 2 yard line. What the F@$K? When do we start walking up to the line and smack the receivers in the mouth? All the Ravens had to do was take one step forward, turn around for the pass and fall forward for a touchdown.

Mel Blount's G
09-30-2008, 01:19 PM
Hard for me to believe timmons is 234. He looks bigger than that. Just like Bruce Davis does NOT look 250. I do not trust the numbers jaws has.

As for silverback, didn't he just hurt his calf or something the play before? Why else would they take our pro bowler out?

RuthlessBurgher
09-30-2008, 01:40 PM
Hard for me to believe timmons is 234. He looks bigger than that. Just like Bruce Davis does NOT look 250. I do not trust the numbers jaws has.

As for silverback, didn't he just hurt his calf or something the play before? Why else would they take our pro bowler out?

He took a helmet to the quad on a special teams tackle...but I'm not sure if that was the return right before this particular Raven drive or not.

steelblood
09-30-2008, 05:05 PM

No, it was not the play before that Silverback got hurt. He was simply given a breather at the wrong time. Poor coaching.

steelblood
09-30-2008, 05:07 PM

McClain's momentum is moving forward and he has like 25 lbs on Timmons. The result is not surprising to me, though Jaws was so excited as if Timmons was 260 lbs and McClain 234 lbs.

Can you read? The point is that the wrong personnel were in there. If you think Timmons is better at taking on big back and lineman than Foote, you are nuts and don't watch closely. I'm not criticizing Timmons in any way. I'm criticizing the coaching staff.

dcsteelerfan
09-30-2008, 05:18 PM

Can you read? The point is that the wrong personnel were in there. If you think Timmons is better at taking on big back and lineman than Foote, you are nuts and don't watch closely. I'm not criticizing Timmons in any way. I'm criticizing the coaching staff.

Yep, I can read just fine...personnel moves aside, my point was that Jaws and company were making such a big deal about McClain running over Timmons. He would have run over Foote as well whether you want to believe it or not.

steelblood
09-30-2008, 05:31 PM

Yep, I can read just fine...personnel moves aside, my point was that Jaws and company were making such a big deal about McClain running over Timmons. He would have run over Foote as well whether you want to believe it or not.

The point of the post that you quoted (and the thread for that matter) was not that Timmons got run over. It was that he shouldn't have been in there. I agree that Foote may have gotten run over too. But, Foote has proven that he can take on lineman and big backs better than Timmons to this point. And Bailey in for Silverback made for some very poor choices.

ikestops85
09-30-2008, 05:46 PM
Timmons vs. Foote on the goal line I really don't care which is in but for Silverback to be out tells me something was wrong and he asked out. I can't believe they have a goal line defense that would have Bailey in over him. BWL would not do that.