PDA

View Full Version : 3rd and goal from the 1...

Ghost
09-30-2008, 09:55 AM
Score a TD here and the game is essentially over. The Steelers have to have a play that can get them 1 yard. especially with the game potentially on the line.

They give the ball to Moore, and have Kemo pulling as a lead blocker, only Willie Colon gets BLOWN BACK a good 5 yards. It was embarrassing how badly he got abused on that play. So Colon is in the way, the Ravens D line is clogging the hole and Lewis is in the backfield so quickly he's there b/f the left guard can take 3 steps. Ridiculous.

BigBen2112
09-30-2008, 10:16 AM
We have Hines, Heath, Spaeth, and Moore and we could not make one short pass at ALL near the goal line?

The call should have been a play action short pass...or even bring in a FB like McHugh and let him run. First back to the whole instead of the 2nd like the Ravens probably thought would happen.

The play calling is 100% predictable...and that leads to more failure than success in the NFL.

I'd like to see some trick plays...some quick slants...some use of a FB as an H-Back type of thing.

Maybe even start running the spread offense out of the shotgun--which is very much like the no-huddle offense that has been SO successful for us in the past.

But this playcalling is dry, stale, predictable, and futile.

RuthlessBurgher
09-30-2008, 10:23 AM
I had no problem with this call. I wanted Moore to try to get in from over the top. It just didn't work out that way.

There was another 3rd and 1 play not at the goal line where I thought we should have run it, but they came out in the shotgun instead. I thought that one was a mistake.

papillon
09-30-2008, 10:53 AM
Score a TD here and the game is essentially over. The Steelers have to have a play that can get them 1 yard. especially with the game potentially on the line.

They give the ball to Moore, and have Kemo pulling as a lead blocker, only Willie Colon gets BLOWN BACK a good 5 yards. It was embarrassing how badly he got abused on that play. So Colon is in the way, the Ravens D line is clogging the hole and Lewis is in the backfield so quickly he's there b/f the left guard can take 3 steps. Ridiculous.

On a positive note Kemo still almost got the block on Lewis, if he would have been able to get his pads just a bit lower he still may have been able to salvage the play.

Pappy

dcsteelerfan
09-30-2008, 01:00 PM
I had no problem with this call. I wanted Moore to try to get in from over the top. It just didn't work out that way.

There was another 3rd and 1 play not at the goal line where I thought we should have run it, but they came out in the shotgun instead. I thought that one was a mistake.

You just can't please everyone - since the running play wasn't successful, then we should have thrown the ball. If it is a pass play that ends up in a pick, sack, or incomplete pass everyone would be screaming that we should have run the ball.

Ghost
09-30-2008, 01:11 PM

You just can't please everyone - since the running play wasn't successful, then we should have thrown the ball. If it is a pass play that ends up in a pick, sack, or incomplete pass everyone would be screaming that we should have run the ball.

Nothing to do with "pleasing" everyone. The Steelers had struggled rushing the entire game (69 yards total) and were down to their 4th option at RB, who just happens to be the smallest of the bunch. Why would running him up the middle behind a crappy o-line not be a questionable call? Why can't they have some sort of play that guarantees them 1 yard?

If the Steelers had consistently gashed the Ravens for tough yards all game then it would be second guessing. But that's not close to what was happening so I think it's reasonable to ask why they can't pick up a yard.

RuthlessBurgher
09-30-2008, 01:13 PM

Yup, whenever something doesn't work, all of the armchair offensive coordinators can spout off what we should have done with the benefit of 20-20 hindsight in their pocket. At the time, I thought a run from the 1 was the right way to go. Even though it didn't work, I will admit that I would have run it if I were in that situation instead of just saying something like "@#$%^&* stupid Arians! He should have called a pass instead! Fire his stupid @#$ tomorrow!"

Mel Blount's G
09-30-2008, 01:35 PM
Lest we forget it looked like we would have scored on that role out pass to moore only to find tomlin called a t/o :HeadBanger

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-30-2008, 01:37 PM
Lest we forget it looked like we would have scored on that role out pass to moore only to find tomlin called a t/o :HeadBanger

I believe I heard at the time that a TO was called because one of our O-line men was hurt. If so, that would have been the right thing to do. Maybe that's when Ken Doll got hurt, can anyone confirm/refute?

RuthlessBurgher
09-30-2008, 01:39 PM

He's negated big plays twice so far this season by calling timeouts from the sidelines. He said in his press conference today that he would trust his QB more from now on regarding these types of time management issues.

Mel Blount's G
09-30-2008, 01:44 PM

I believe I heard at the time that a TO was called because one of our O-line men was hurt. If so, that would have been the right thing to do. Maybe that's when Ken Doll got hurt, can anyone confirm/refute?
Not kendoll. It was an 'alleged' injury to Marvel but I think it was bogus.....

papillon
09-30-2008, 02:04 PM
Pad level fellas, pad level and McClain's were lower than Timmons' and then physics takes over.

Pappy

Ghost
09-30-2008, 02:23 PM
Pad level fellas, pad level and McClain's were lower than Timmons' and then physics takes over.

Pappy

That's great advice Pap accept we're discussing the Steelers with the ball on the goal line - not the Ravens... :wink:

Ghost
09-30-2008, 02:23 PM

Pappy

That's great advice Pap accept we're discussing the Steelers with the ball on the goal line - not the Ravens... :wink:

papillon
09-30-2008, 02:29 PM

Pappy

Hey, when I know something (not often) I feel like I have to let everyone know. :tt2 :oops:

And, just for good measure... :moon

Pappy

dcsteelerfan
09-30-2008, 02:33 PM

Pappy

Besides the pad levels, the fact that McClain is 26 lbs heavier than Timmons also played a part in the "physics" of that play.

pittpete
09-30-2008, 04:16 PM
Fact is we havnt made many 3rd and 1's all year long :oops:

Mel Blount's G
09-30-2008, 04:18 PM
Fact is we havnt made many 3rd and 1's all year long :oops:
:lol: :lol:
Right. Our standard play in that situation is usually to get flagged for an illegal procedure call :oops: