PDA

View Full Version : post-game musings

steelblood
09-30-2008, 08:28 AM
1. Deshea Townshend. He played a terrible game. He looked very slow on several plays when he covered the slot or the play broke down. He also missed a very important open field tackle on Mason that lead to a huge gain. Put in Willie Gay until he is closer to 100% healthy.
2. Brian McFadden. Excellent open field tackle on the end around. Generally good in coverage. He will continue to grow with starting experience. Unfortunately, some other team will reap the benefits next year.
3. Jaws. Did anyone else catch it when Jaws tried to claim that they (the announcers) had praised Ben in the first half. Something like, "As we've said all night, this is what makes Ben ....(special)." I can stand Jaws or his Columbia School of Broadcasting speaking voice and affects. He speaks to the audience as if we understand nothing.
4. MNF cameras. I think Monday Night Football has the best camera work in the business. The pregame shots were amazing.
5. Kendall Simmons injury. Might we really start Essex next week? I thought stapleton did well. He is very mobile and pass protects well.
6. Chris Kemoteau. He works well when his assignment is clear. In tandem, he is a disaster. On one third and long, the Ravens rushed only 4. Kemo and Hartwig had no one to block but Trevor Pryce. Pryce split the double team instantly and blew up the play. This is inexcusable. There was no stunt. Pryce did not make a great move. He simply shot the gap and Kemo and Hartwig ushered him through.
7. Offense in the first half. This team struggles for many reasons. They miss hot reads, open swing passes (on Ben's pick, Mendenhall was wide open in the flat), the blitz pickup is often nonexistant, they still don't have enough quick strike plays, they have not designed a decent screen play in 2 years, and Ben most certainly loves to give the ball a good massage before he throws it. All of these things can be improved. But, for some reason, we don't. That falls on the coaches.
8. Moore. Use Moore more. Throw him the ball on a regular basis.
9. McHugh as fullback. He blew up Bart Scott. I guess he'll be getting more work there this week with Davis hurt.
10. Silverback. Is he under contract for 2009? I sure hope so. The way Silverback and Woodley collapse the pocket is much more effective than the way Porter and Haggans rushed upfield. Porter and especially Haggans we constantly the victims of screens and draws. Collapsing the pocket also allows Dlineman and inside backers to get more sacks.

BigBen2112
09-30-2008, 08:32 AM
Does anyone else think that we have made some poor decisions in terms of personnel? For example, I think in our scheme we really need a lead blocker and then our RBs would do a lot better. However, we dont have a lead blocker, and actually we dont really have any guy that can even protect well for Ben during blitz pickup.

Maybe McHugh will be that guy...I dunno.

ikestops85
09-30-2008, 11:03 AM
Does anyone else think that we have made some poor decisions in terms of personnel? For example, I think in our scheme we really need a lead blocker and then our RBs would do a lot better. However, we dont have a lead blocker, and actually we dont really have any guy that can even protect well for Ben during blitz pickup.

I tend to agree with you about the lead blocker. I miss Danny :( and I think our backs do also. McHugh did do a decent job last night as a lead blocker.

and while we are musing ... does anyone else wonder why we run that 3 receiver stack in a tight formation which draws more defenders inside and makes it harder to determine who is blitzing? I mean our QB is getting the crap kicked out of him anyway so why not spread the field and at least give him and the lineman/running backs a chance to figure out who is coming so they can react.

and who the hell was supposed to be covering Ray Rice down at the goal line. That guys should start running laps now and not stop until the Jax game. :moon

BigBen2112
09-30-2008, 11:07 AM

I tend to agree with you about the lead blocker. I miss Danny :( and I think our backs do also. McHugh did do a decent job last night as a lead blocker.

and while we are musing ... does anyone else wonder why we run that 3 receiver stack in a tight formation which draws more defenders inside and makes it harder to determine who is blitzing? I mean our QB is getting the crap kicked out of him anyway so why not spread the field and at least give him and the lineman/running backs a chance to figure out who is coming so they can react.

and who the hell was supposed to be covering Ray Rice down at the goal line. That guys should start running laps now and not stop until the Jax game. :moon

I think we should run some spread offense. Spread the D out and run out of the shotgun on delays or use an H-Back type of system and pass out of it short and intermediate.

Ben can run that type of offense and we have the players to do it.

Oviedo
09-30-2008, 11:41 AM

I think we should run some spread offense. Spread the D out and run out of the shotgun on delays or use an H-Back type of system and pass out of it short and intermediate.

:Agree I've been saying this for awhile. We need a H-back/FB that gives defenses different looks. I wanted Owen Schmitt for this, but HcHugh may be able to do the job. he had some success in Detroit playing in that role and he did lay some great blocks last night. He seems to be a good pick up making a contribution in a short period of time.

NKySteeler
09-30-2008, 12:14 PM

I think it is a necessity to do so now, due to the injuries to the backfield... Ben has the arm, talent, and players to do it, like you said...

MeetJoeGreene
09-30-2008, 12:19 PM

I think it is a necessity to do so now, due to the injuries to the backfield... Ben has the arm, talent, and players to do it, like you said...
Iwas thinking that as well. We may HAVE to do that.

ikestops85
09-30-2008, 01:44 PM

Iwas thinking that as well. We may HAVE to do that.

Okay ... it's unanimous. Whose going to Tomlin and tell him to put it in? :D

SteelTorch
09-30-2008, 01:53 PM
We're going west-coast! :D

NorthCoast
09-30-2008, 05:55 PM
Here is something that really bothers me:

How can it possibly be that Moore was 4th on the depth chart? In my mind, he has shown much more than Davis EVER has when allowed to play. How could our coaches not see this before NEEDING to use him last night? He has moves and quickness that Davis simply does not have.

steelblood
09-30-2008, 06:45 PM
Here is something that really bothers me:

How can it possibly be that Moore was 4th on the depth chart? In my mind, he has shown much more than Davis EVER has when allowed to play. How could our coaches not see this before NEEDING to use him last night? He has moves and quickness that Davis simply does not have.

Well, before last night. Davis was really a fullback and Moore a third down back. They weren't really competing for playing time.

If you are referring to why Davis played tailback before Moore last night, it probably had something to do with his familiarity with the offense and his size/strength.

I like Moore and think we should use him more and force defenses to commit their most athletic linebacker or SS to covering him. This should provide more opportunities for HEath and it could get some teams to back off from blitzing so much.