PDA

View Full Version : This site has application issues!... J, please fix it!!!

NKySteeler
09-30-2008, 12:37 AM
If you didn't experience it, you were lucky. But more than likely, you'll experience it sooner or later.... But this site cannot handle the gameday load, and I get "blown-off" when asking about it.... I was locked-out with the following error code for the last 5+ minutes of the game:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

User 'planetst' has exceeded the 'max_questions' resource (current value: 75000) [1226]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.

... As said, if you didn't experience it, you may very well get it in the future...

costanza2k1
09-30-2008, 12:40 AM
Got the same error, based on the number of folks on the site at the time it didn't really make sense but it's something that SHOULD be looked at as there are a lot of followers of the game day thread.

Good call out.

LasVegasGuy
09-30-2008, 12:40 AM
If you didn't experience it, you were lucky. But more than likely, you'll experience it sooner or later.... But this site cannot handle the gameday load, and I get "blown-off" when asking about it.... I was locked-out with the following error code for the last 5+ minutes of the game:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

User 'planetst' has exceeded the 'max_questions' resource (current value: 75000) [1226]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.

... As said, if you didn't experience it, you may very well get it in the future...

Now, now don't be a little sheet head :lol:

LouSteel
09-30-2008, 12:43 AM
OK, so I can actually use my day job (programmer) here ;)

This is typically dictated by the web hosting company -- they allow a certain number of requests to the database that holds all the posts -- 75,000 in our case. I think we blew past it.

Most web hosts make it an hourly limit, and reset it at the end of every hour. So I was very surprised when we actually got back on after the first error.

Hopefully J can contact his hosting company and get the limit bumped up!

BigBen2112
09-30-2008, 12:47 AM

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

15 minutes for me.

NKySteeler
09-30-2008, 12:47 AM
Got the same error, based on the number of folks on the site at the time it didn't really make sense but it's something that SHOULD be looked at as there are a lot of followers of the game day thread.

Good call out.

I brought this issue up after the Eagles Pre-season game..... But no one wanted to listen to me.... I've started posting on Kippers' board and I'll be glad to help anyone else get on over there.... Much smaller, but no issues...... Now yes, I WANT to stay here, but I'll be damned if I want a place that won't let me on the site because it's locked-out!.... That is one of the reasons I left the Trib.... But again, no one wants to properly address this issue or let us (or me) know..... Lack of information is just as bad as no change...

NKySteeler
09-30-2008, 12:50 AM
Hopefully J can contact his hosting company and get the limit bumped up!

I haven't seen J addressing issues or questions for several weeks.... Sorry J, but that's how it seems... I brought this issue up to you and your mods a while back....

LouSteel
09-30-2008, 12:54 AM
Much smaller, but no issues......

Hate to say it, but there's the rub.

When the boards get bigger, there's more usage on the database and server and these issues pop up much faster.

If we all migrate over to another board, it's only a matter of time before this happens again.

That said, this should be correctable -- J might be able to contact the hosting company and have limits upped or so forth. Unfortunately some don't allow that, or charge more... it can be tough finding one that doesn't screw you over.

NKySteeler
09-30-2008, 01:04 AM

When the boards get bigger, there's more usage on the database and server and these issues pop up much faster.

If we all migrate over to another board, it's only a matter of time before this happens again.

That said, this should be correctable -- J might be able to contact the hosting company and have limits upped or so forth.

I know what you're sayin'.... And I understand that. I don't want to leave, but I also want to banter during the game... But issues of complaints have apparently fallen on deaf ears in regards to this situation.... I really love what this place is and has become. I would like to think that I had a small part in it's development and growth to some small extent... But this issue has been around before, and I never got an answer from a few different people, and that is aggravating.... Like I said, the "reliability" at the Trib was one reason many of us left.... If it is an issue here (and obviously several, if not more, have experienced the same issue as they have mentioned) then it is no better.... The folks may be great, but if you can't banter with them during the game, it's a moot point...If it requires changing and dealing with a new situation, so be it... Eventually, one will be properly equiped

For those that don't post during the game, you are lucky not to experience this...

LouSteel
09-30-2008, 01:09 AM

That said, this should be correctable -- J might be able to contact the hosting company and have limits upped or so forth.

I know what you're sayin'.... And I understand that. I don't want to leave, but I also want to banter during the game... But issues of complaints have apparently fallen on deaf ears in regards to this situation.... I really love what this place is and has become. I would like to think that I had a small part in it's development and growth to some small extent... But this issue has been around before, and I never got an answer from a few different people, and that is aggravating.... Like I said, the "reliability" at the Trib was one reason many of us left.... If it is an issue here (and obviously several, if not more, have experienced the same issue as they have mentioned) then it is no better.... The folks may be great, but if you can't banter with them during the game, it's a moot point...If it requires changing and dealing with a new situation, so be it... Eventually, one will be properly equiped

For those that don't post during the game, you are lucky not to experience this...

:Agree

Very well said. Hopefully these issues are handled so everyone can finally find a reliable place to post.

eniparadoxgma
09-30-2008, 01:12 AM
Yeah, I get that error on the game day thread about 33% of the time. Usually it's fixable by a refresh. Sometimes it takes a couple. It's still better than the trib by far. However, I PM'd jhansle about another issue about a week or two ago and still haven't gotten a response.

Is he not around anymore...or?

Also, (though I know this won't get changed lol), the white on black screws with my peepers after a bit. :stirpot :P

NKySteeler
09-30-2008, 02:19 AM
Yeah, I get that error on the game day thread about 33% of the time...

... Also, (though I know this won't get changed lol), the white on black screws with my peepers after a bit.

Never had an issue with the black background... Just wish that I could view it during a game...

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-30-2008, 08:18 AM
As I said on the game thread (after the game ended) I was locked out for the last 5 - 10 minutes of the game also, same error message.

Very frustrating, because "interactive posting" during the game with board members has become part of my game watching ritual.

I hope it gets fixed on this board.

BTW - when this was going on at the end of the game on this board, the trib board was down too.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-30-2008, 08:19 AM
As I said on the game thread (after the game ended) I was locked out for the last 5 - 10 minutes of the game also, same error message.

Very frustrating, because "interactive posting" during the game with board members has become part of my game watching ritual.

I hope it gets fixed on this board.

BTW - when this was going on at the end of the game on this board, the trib board was down too.

RuthlessBurgher
09-30-2008, 09:50 AM
Yeah, I get that error on the game day thread about 33% of the time...

... Also, (though I know this won't get changed lol), the white on black screws with my peepers after a bit.

Never had an issue with the black background... Just wish that I could view it during a game...

The white on black took a little getting used to at first, but I guess it is not a major issue. It would be nice if each user could customize its appearance to their own preferences, though.

As for posting during the game, I don't know how you folks do it. I could not type and watch at the same time. I'm so honed in on watching the game that I rarely even eat anything while the game is on, never mind typing between plays.

RussBII
09-30-2008, 09:59 AM
I'm not sure how J is hosting this site, but it might cost him more money for more connections/bandwidth etc...

If that's the case, whose willing to pony up a bit o' cash, or would we tolerate ads?

RuthlessBurgher
09-30-2008, 10:01 AM
I'm not sure how J is hosting this site, but it might cost him more money for more connections/bandwidth etc...

If that's the case, whose willing to pony up a bit o' cash, or would we tolerate ads?

We have ads. After the first response in each thread is an ad banner.

Shawn
09-30-2008, 10:34 AM

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

I would love to know who has "blown you off". Everyone has received an answer from J. These issues were taken to him and he gave an answer. Again...who blew you off?

Shawn
09-30-2008, 10:37 AM

Good call out.

I brought this issue up after the Eagles Pre-season game..... But no one wanted to listen to me.... I've started posting on Kippers' board and I'll be glad to help anyone else get on over there.... Much smaller, but no issues...... Now yes, I WANT to stay here, but I'll be damned if I want a place that won't let me on the site because it's locked-out!.... That is one of the reasons I left the Trib.... But again, no one wants to properly address this issue or let us (or me) know..... Lack of information is just as bad as no change...

These are the issues that have been discussed before...no one ignored you. Just hasn't been resolved. J actually gave a statement about it a little while back. So, I'm not sure where you are getting this whole being ignored thing. No one here has been ignored.

Shawn
09-30-2008, 10:38 AM

Good question and it might be something we should bring up. It does cost money to run this site.

Shawn
09-30-2008, 10:41 AM
Yeah, I get that error on the game day thread about 33% of the time. Usually it's fixable by a refresh. Sometimes it takes a couple. It's still better than the trib by far. However, I PM'd jhansle about another issue about a week or two ago and still haven't gotten a response.

Is he not around anymore...or?

Also, (though I know this won't get changed lol), the white on black screws with my peepers after a bit. :stirpot :P

J has alot of personal issues going on...generally a PM to me will suffice unless it's something that can only be resolved with admin privilages. Sometimes it is indeed weeks before he can answer PMs. Sometimes I can't even get ahold of J...so I go to another mod that actually works with him...and it usually gets resolved.

steelz09
09-30-2008, 11:04 AM
I will look into this and will get back to the board members as soon as I find the cause & solution for the problem.

Is anyone noticing this during "off peak" hours such as during the weekdays...?

BigBen2112
09-30-2008, 11:08 AM
I will look into this and will get back to the board members as soon as I find the cause & solution for the problem.

Is anyone noticing this during "off peak" hours such as during the weekdays...?

Yes. I have had it happen several times, but am unsure why.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-30-2008, 11:20 AM

Good call out.

These are the issues that have been discussed before...no one ignored you. Just hasn't been resolved. J actually gave a statement about it a little while back. So, I'm not sure where you are getting this whole being ignored thing. No one here has been ignored.

Which was?

NKy isn't a drama queen or a liar, not sure why a moderator (you) would call him out like that ("No one here has been ignored").

BigBen2112
09-30-2008, 11:21 AM

Good call out.

Which was?

NKy isn't a drama queen or a liar, not sure why a moderator (you) would call him out like that ("No one here has been ignored").

Shawn is a mod?!

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-30-2008, 11:35 AM

Shawn is a mod?!

Amazingly so, apparently (from the game thread last night):

You all DO know that our "mods" are at the game, so anything goes!.... Post away!

BTW, who are the moderators?

steeld95, ShawnMedGuy, and AsianSteel... It's listed under "the team" at the bottom of the forum listing page....

memberlist.php?mode=leaders (http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/memberlist.php?mode=leaders)

NKySteeler
09-30-2008, 11:58 AM
Shawn, when I say "blown off" I mean as in not addressed... So yes, the issue was recognized (by you guys) but not addressed, as in fixed (by admin)... Actually, your comments after the Eagle pre-season game was something or other like, "I know. You should shoot him a PM.".... That PM sat in my out-box for about two weeks before I just deleted it....And others have had the same thing happen, so don't say that every one was answered. Now first off, I understand that folks are mighty busey with other important issues in life... That is the way it actually should be... I get it... This is just entertainment... But don't take it all so personal.

I started this thread more out of curiosity to see if I was the only one with issues, therefore possibly needing to look at my own computer. I found out I wasn't the only one. ... I am sure that things will be done to try and resolve it. ... So I will just wait for them to be implemented. I will not utter another word about this issue, OK?! ... Let's let it die (the thread) and just go away...

This was not a personal attack on you, J, or the team, or anyone... So don't act like it was... That wasn't the intent in any way, and you should know that.

Shawn
09-30-2008, 02:47 PM
Shawn, when I say "blown off" I mean as in not addressed... So yes, the issue was recognized (by you guys) but not addressed, as in fixed (by admin)... Actually, your comments after the Eagle pre-season game was something or other like, "I know. You should shoot him a PM.".... That PM sat in my out-box for about two weeks before I just deleted it....And others have had the same thing happen, so don't say that every one was answered. Now first off, I understand that folks are mighty busey with other important issues in life... That is the way it actually should be... I get it... This is just entertainment... But don't take it all so personal.

I started this thread more out of curiosity to see if I was the only one with issues, therefore possibly needing to look at my own computer. I found out I wasn't the only one. ... I am sure that things will be done to try and resolve it. ... So I will just wait for them to be implemented. I will not utter another word about this issue, OK?! ... Let's let it die (the thread) and just go away...

This was not a personal attack on you, J, or the team, or anyone... So don't act like it was... That wasn't the intent in any way, and you should know that.

We did recognize it was an issue and J gave an official response...basically that it's expensive and VERY time consuming to switch servers/host. He was going to take a wait and see approach. Since, he does this with ALL his own money and his own time I think that's an appropriate response.

As for him, not answering his PMs. That is on J and he knows how I feel about that...I will leave it at that.

As for calling out...honestly I'm not really concerned about "calling out". I more concerned with perceptions of being ignored. While we are not always able to correct situations...we do always listen. We do our best to provide a solution. Occasionally, time and or money constraints get in the way but in no way does it mean we do not value our members.

As for "another board" not having these issues...well that is certainly always an option. But, I must say I have no desire to see anyone leave over feelings of being ignored. If some choose to leave over some server errors well that I personally can't resolve so...if it is that troubling to you...then I understand. But, I do wonder how the "other board" will respond when they get more than 50 members. This board never had an issue until we got bigger. But, hey I'm not a techie so...

BigBen2112
09-30-2008, 06:56 PM

We did recognize it was an issue and J gave an official response...basically that it's expensive and VERY time consuming to switch servers/host. He was going to take a wait and see approach. Since, he does this with ALL his own money and his own time I think that's an appropriate response.

As for him, not answering his PMs. That is on J and he knows how I feel about that...I will leave it at that.

As for calling out...honestly I'm not really concerned about "calling out". I more concerned with perceptions of being ignored. While we are not always able to correct situations...we do always listen. We do our best to provide a solution. Occasionally, time and or money constraints get in the way but in no way does it mean we do not value our members.

As for "another board" not having these issues...well that is certainly always an option. But, I must say I have no desire to see anyone leave over feelings of being ignored. If some choose to leave over some server errors well that I personally can't resolve so...if it is that troubling to you...then I understand. But, I do wonder how the "other board" will respond when they get more than 50 members. This board never had an issue until we got bigger. But, hey I'm not a techie so...

So you kinda went from member of the board to commissioner huh?

Interesting.

stlrz d
09-30-2008, 08:25 PM
Some message boards have "paypal donation links" for the creator of the board, who foots the bill. :)

Shawn
09-30-2008, 09:26 PM
Some message boards have "paypal donation links" for the creator of the board, who foots the bill. :)

Yea...that is a terrific suggestion. I think you said something like that before and I did pass it on. I personally would be willing to help out with some of the expenses and I know several others would also. :)

costanza2k1
09-30-2008, 10:08 PM

Yea...that is a terrific suggestion. I think you said something like that before and I did pass it on. I personally would be willing to help out with some of the expenses and I know several others would also. :)

I would put in some scratch...put the paypal thing up and let's get cracking...

BigBen2112
09-30-2008, 10:50 PM
The more people who donate and the larger sums of money donated means there are going to have to be more admins/moderators. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Will Shawn the Dictator share power? I think not :wink: :D

Shawn
09-30-2008, 11:03 PM
The more people who donate and the larger sums of money donated means there are going to have to be more admins/moderators. :lol: :lol: :lol:

No...I hope that helps. :lol:

BigBen2112
09-30-2008, 11:08 PM

No...I hope that helps. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: