PDA

View Full Version : Did we win the battle and lose the war?

papillon
09-30-2008, 12:22 AM
Parker - out
Mendenhall - out
Davis - out
Simmons - out
Frazier - done for the year probably
Down to 5 defensive linemen

Can we put together enough players to play a physical Jax team next Sunday evening?

Pappy

calmkiller
09-30-2008, 12:27 AM
We can always bring Russel back up. Frazier on the IR gives us room. The only position im really concerned about is RB.

BigBen2112
09-30-2008, 12:27 AM
We would NOT be in this situation IF COLBERT had a clue how to build a good team.

Wheres the good OL and DL depth?

Honestly maybe if we dont have a RB we'll STOP the stupid runs up the middle and do more screen passes.

That's IF Arians is not the OC any more.

LouSteel
09-30-2008, 12:28 AM
On the plus side, JAX's D has been decimated by injuries...

Our RB health is downright frightening, but MM had some success running against a very physical Ravens D, and we can always sign Russell back from the PS.

Waiting for the postgame... hopefully the injuries weren't as bad as they seemed.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-30-2008, 12:30 AM
Maybe, but we needed to win the battle no matter what.

Maybe RM and Davis and Simmons will be back next wk. How about FWP, when is he due back?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-30-2008, 12:32 AM
We would NOT be in this situation IF COLBERT had a clue how to build a good team.

Honestly maybe if we dont have a RB we'll STOP the stupid runs up the middle and do more screen passes.

Hey BB2112, take a breath, smile, and enjoy the moment, each of us deserves that tonight :tt2 :tt2

papillon
09-30-2008, 12:34 AM

Speaking of Simmons being hurt and the offense. The offensive line seemed to play better in the second half with Stapleton in as right guard or was it my imnagination?

Just to help you out Ben, Arians is horrible. The Steelers are down to one freakin running back and he's all of sudden going to put the ball in Moore's hand in the running game on every first down.

Pappy

SteelTorch
09-30-2008, 12:36 AM
Before we go on, where did you hear Ben had to tell Arians to go to no huddle? (Not that it surprises me)

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-30-2008, 12:39 AM

Speaking of Simmons being hurt and the offense. The offensive line seemed to play better in the second half with Stapleton in as right guard or was it my imnagination?

Just to help you out Ben, Arians is horrible. The Steelers are down to one freakin running back and he's all of sudden going to put the ball in Moore's hand in the running game on every first down.

Pappy

I could not believe that we started each of the last two or three drives with a run for zero yards up the middle after all we've been through. :twisted:

papillon
09-30-2008, 12:42 AM

Pappy

I could not believe that we started each of the last two or three drives with a run for zero yards up the middle after all we've been through. :twisted:

One screen pass could have ended this game in regulation; Arians is an absolye loser as an OC. The offense will struggle against good defenses until he's dismissed

Just heard Mendenhall has a fractured shoulder and Simmons has an torn achilles, both are being placed on IR, not good.

Pappy

Jom112
On the plus side, JAX's D has been decimated by injuries...

Our RB health is downright frightening, but MM had some success running against a very physical Ravens D, and we can always sign Russell back from the PS.

Waiting for the postgame... hopefully the injuries weren't as bad as they seemed.

Their Offense is decimated as well. I remember after the 1st game that they lost 3 starting O-Linemen already...

Mel Blount's G
Before we go on, where did you hear Ben had to tell Arians to go to no huddle? (Not that it surprises me)
I heard it in a post game interview w/ suzy colbert however he DID NOT use the words "told Arians" He said he suggested it (he didn't say to who) AND he said something about calling his own plays.

papillon
09-30-2008, 12:48 AM
I heard it in a post game interview w/ suzy colbert however he DID NOT use the words "told Arians" He said he suggested it (he didn't say to who) AND he said something about calling his own plays.

I suggested earlier in the week in one of threads that I'd like to see Ben call the plays. Quarterbacks are heavily involved in the flow of the game. They have a better idea of what plays will work than a coach.

Pappy

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-30-2008, 12:48 AM
DL depth?

DL depth? I think that we showed tonight that we have very good DL depth. We were missing two starters tonight. Hoke, Kirschke, Eason.....nobody looked out of place.

For all of the problems that this team has, we have to say so far that our DL depth is very good.

BigBen2112
09-30-2008, 12:50 AM

Ben HIMSELF said it in an interview after the game.

BigBen2112
09-30-2008, 12:51 AM

Bull. He said SPECIFICALLY that he suggested to "Coach Arians and Coach Tomlin"

papillon
09-30-2008, 12:53 AM
DL depth?

DL depth? I think that we showed tonight that we have very good DL depth. We were missing two starters tonight. Hoke, Kirschke, Eason.....nobody looked out of place.

For all of the problems that this team has, we have to say so far that our DL depth is very good.

Yes, the ones we have are playing very well, but, we're thin with only 5 healthy defensive linemen. Any more injuries there and attrition will doom the Steelers.

Pappy

LouSteel
09-30-2008, 01:07 AM
Yes, the ones we have are playing very well, but, we're thin with only 5 healthy defensive linemen. Any more injuries there and attrition will doom the Steelers.

Pappy

Eason: 28
Hoke: 32
Smith: 32
Kirschke: 34
Roye: 35

I think that says it all... I know many linemen can maintain strong play as they age, but having five guys over 30 will catch up to us later in the season.

RuthlessBurgher
09-30-2008, 02:00 AM
I love how every topic (in this case, one about the injuries that occurred tonight) somehow disintegrates into yet another "We must fire Arians" thread within 3 posts. :roll: Who are you people trying to convince at this point? Give it a rest already. I swear that someone is going to try to argue that the reason Druckenmiller pulled his offer to buy the team is because the front office refused to fire Arians. We should just appease the masses and do a cathartic Arians photoshop contest next so everyone can let their venom flow in a more creative way at least.

blacknblue80s
09-30-2008, 02:08 AM
FIRE ZEIRLAN!!!

NKySteeler
09-30-2008, 02:11 AM
I love how every topic (in this case, one about the injuries that occurred tonight) somehow disintegrates into yet another "We must fire Arians" thread within 3 posts. :roll: Who are you people trying to convince at this point?

... I hadn't posted in this thread, but your comment about Arians drew-out my "spidey-sense" of a conflict..... :lol: .... Seriously Ruthless, I know you're tired of it all... Probably just as much as some of us are of draft talk, even though there's a separate forum for it.... But it is really one of the "hottest" topics nowadays.... It "is what it is"... If he didn't suck, it wouldn't be an issue.... :lol:

(man, I'm kidding.... OK?!..... I'm done...)

BigBen2112
09-30-2008, 08:29 AM

Actually...http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3617409&categoryId=2378529&n8pe6c=2

Proves that Roethlisberger did indeed say "We went no huddle. I told BRUCE and TOMLIN let's pick up the pace and let me call the plays."

Mel Blount's G
09-30-2008, 08:51 AM

Actually...http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3617409&categoryId=2378529&n8pe6c=2

Proves that Roethlisberger did indeed say "We went no huddle. I told BRUCE and TOMLIN let's pick up the pace and let me call the plays."
I digress bro. Gotta admit I was half way to the 'off' button on my tv as he's talking :oops:

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-30-2008, 08:51 AM
the reason Druckenmiller pulled his offer to buy the team is because the front office refused to fire Arians.

You heard that too???

BigBen2112
09-30-2008, 09:06 AM
[quote=SteelTorch]Before we go on, where did you hear Ben had to tell Arians to go to no huddle? (Not that it surprises me)

I digress bro. Gotta admit I was half way to the 'off' button on my tv as he's talking :oops:[/quote:34ucsjl0]

It's all good.

steelblood
09-30-2008, 09:29 AM
Parker - out
Mendenhall - out
Davis - out
Simmons - out

Can we put together enough players to play a physical Jax team next Sunday evening?

Pappy

One could make the argument that Jacksonville has been harder hit by injuries than us.

To be fair, Parker was already out so I don't know what that had to do with last night's battle. At any rate, Parker should return in a couple of games.

Mendenhall could be a big loss. I think he was starting to get it. It will certainly retard his development. But, I don't think it will hurt us much in the short term. Russell can be the battering ram that we expected Mendenhall to be.

Simmons has not played that well. Stapleton is very athletic and IMHO a better pass blocker. If we play Essex, I'll be very disappointed.

Davis and Frazier are replaceable, but they may very well return this season. Davis did nothing very well, but did many things serviceably. McHugh can handle some fullback until we find someone else. When Woods gets healthy, he can take over Frazier's special teams duties. For now, Bruce Davis gets a shot on special teams. I'm all for that.

Our bye is coming at a good time, we can bring in a few FAs or practice squad guys and get them up to speed.

I think we are still in decent shape.

proudpittsburgher
09-30-2008, 10:24 AM

The calling his own plays was in reference to going no huddle, where he would call his own plays. I don't think he was reffering to the bad play calling with that, although, he could have and wouldn't have been wrong. :)

papillon
09-30-2008, 10:46 AM
Parker - out
Mendenhall - out
Davis - out
Simmons - out

Pappy

One could make the argument that Jacksonville has been harder hit by injuries than us.

To be fair, Parker was already out so I don't know what that had to do with last night's battle. At any rate, Parker should return in a couple of games.

Mendenhall could be a big loss. I think he was starting to get it. It will certainly retard his development. But, I don't think it will hurt us much in the short term. Russell can be the battering ram that we expected Mendenhall to be.

Simmons has not played that well. Stapleton is very athletic and IMHO a better pass blocker. If we play Essex, I'll be very disappointed.

Davis and Frazier are replaceable, but they may very well return this season. Davis did nothing very well, but did many things serviceably. McHugh can handle some fullback until we find someone else. When Woods gets healthy, he can take over Frazier's special teams duties. For now, Bruce Davis gets a shot on special teams. I'm all for that.

Our bye is coming at a good time, we can bring in a few FAs or practice squad guys and get them up to speed.

I think we are still in decent shape.

Just remember signing players now will still be cap hits and the players that are on IR still count (I believe, if anyone knows for sure how this works that would be great). We lost a lot last night in depth at RB (which once was considered a strength), special teams and offensive line. The bye is coming at a good time and hopefully, the Steelers can get some serviceable vets in here at the minimum or close to it.

Pappy