View Full Version : OT:Breaking news- Rams sack Linehan

Steely76
09-29-2008, 09:13 AM
Rams fire Linehan, sources say; Haslett expected to take over

By Chris Mortensen
ESPN.com
(Archive)

Updated: September 29, 2008, 8:19 AM ET

St. Louis Rams coach Scott Linehan has been fired, two team sources said Monday morning.

Defensive coordinator Jim Haslett, a former head coach of the New Orleans Saints, was expected to be named interim coach, but details had not been finalized.

Linehan

Linehan
An official statement from the team was expected for around 9:30 a.m. ET.

Linehan asked for and received permission to address the team today when it reports for practice, the sources said.

The Rams dropped to 0-4 on Sunday with a 31-14 loss to the Buffalo Bills (4-0).

Linehan, 11-25 in his third season, last week was put on notice to make immediate improvements by owner Chip Rosenbloom.

After three blowout losses to open the season, Linehan benched quarterback Marc Bulger in favor of 38-year-old Trent Green. Linehan had six new starters in all, four on defense.

Haslett

Haslett
Rams running back Steven Jackson, who had criticized Linehan's decision to bench Bulger during his weekly radio show, had 110 yards on 24 carries and five catches for 78 yards.

Linehan had said he would meet with Jackson to discuss the radio-show comments before Sunday's game.

"I haven't talked to him about it but I will," Linehan said Friday. "No comment on it. Again, we're in this together and we're trying to find solutions to what has not been a good start to the season with our record.

"To sit here and not make some decisions, which are hard decisions for a head coach, I would not be doing my job. I will take at some point soon time to talk to Steven about it.."

In addition to pulling Bulger from the lineup, Linehan also released Fakhir Brown, a starting cornerback the past two seasons and a favorite of Haslett.

Chris Mortensen is a Senior NFL Analyst for ESPN. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

SteelerOfDeVille
09-29-2008, 11:32 AM
Boys and girls, there's the replacement OC you've been asking for.

Steely76
09-29-2008, 12:06 PM

You want to hire an OC whose offense with the Rams had a grand total of 43 points in 4 games, lowest in the entire NFL???

SteelerOfDeVille
09-29-2008, 12:13 PM

You want to hire an OC whose offense with the Rams had a grand total of 43 points in 4 games, lowest in the entire NFL???
As a HC, his offense sucked. As an OC, his offensese have been pretty good. That's why he got an HC job.

He was OC when Culpepper was actually a good QB.

Steely76
09-29-2008, 12:21 PM

As a HC, his offense sucked. As an OC, his offensese have been pretty good. That's why he got an HC job.

Ever notice the only time Culpepper was a good QB was when he had Randy Moss for a WR?

SteelerOfDeVille
09-29-2008, 12:53 PM

Ever notice the only time Culpepper was a good QB was when he had Randy Moss for a WR?
Oh contraire.... He was actually solid when Moss got hurt and he was in Minny...Good enough that Seattle was willing to give Nate Burleson a $64million contract.

The accurate timetable reference that you're looking for was "after Culpepper's injury", when it all started going downhill. Besides, we all know that Randy impacts a QBs performance - Look at Tom Brady's numbers with him.

BTW, did you happen to notice Randy when he left Minny? Those couple of seasons in Oakland... why didn't that QB or OC have any success in Oakland? Randy isn't a do all, fix all. He's a tool that a decent OC and decent QB could use... One that Linehan used just fine.

Is Linehan a genius? No.
Is he better than Arians? Absolutely.

Steely76
09-29-2008, 04:21 PM

Oh contraire.... He was actually solid when Moss got hurt and he was in Minny...Good enough that Seattle was willing to give Nate Burleson a $64million contract.

The accurate timetable reference that you're looking for was "after Culpepper's injury", when it all started going downhill. Besides, we all know that Randy impacts a QBs performance - Look at Tom Brady's numbers with him.

BTW, did you happen to notice Randy when he left Minny? Those couple of seasons in Oakland... why didn't that QB or OC have any success in Oakland? Randy isn't a do all, fix all. He's a tool that a decent OC and decent QB could use... One that Linehan used just fine.

Is Linehan a genius? No.
Is he better than Arians? Absolutely.

Saying he's better than Arians isn't saying much at all. I think I'll pass.

Jom112
09-29-2008, 04:29 PM

I wouldn't take Linehan at this point as an OC, maybe a lesser role. If anything you guys should promote Ken Anderson.

On second thought don't...

RuthlessBurgher
09-29-2008, 04:35 PM
I'm telling you, the Jeremy Bates kid in Denver is the guy to target. He is the QB coach who is developing Jay Cutler, and also was Brandon Marshall's WR coach when he first came into the league. He's calling Denver's plays at the age of 32. He comes from a coaching family (his father is also on Denver's staff). And he worked on the same staff as Tomlin in Tampa a few years ago. Just the kind of up-and-coming guy to target (the fact that he has a prior connection to Tomlin is a bonus.

Slapstick
09-29-2008, 04:43 PM
Linehan had a Top 5 offense for the three years he coached in Minnesota...even when Randy Moss was injured in 2004...

Then, in Miami, Linehan's offense took Miami from 29th overall to 14th overall...from 31st in rushing offense to 12th...

I think that Linehan is one of those guys who is a great coordinator, but not ready to be an NFL head coach yet...

Almost any NFL team would be lucky to have Linehan at OC...

SteelerOfDeVille
09-29-2008, 05:19 PM
Linehan had a Top 5 offense for the three years he coached in Minnesota...even when Randy Moss was injured in 2004...

Then, in Miami, Linehan's offense took Miami from 29th overall to 14th overall...from 31st in rushing offense to 12th...

I think that Linehan is one of those guys who is a great coordinator, but not ready to be an NFL head coach yet...

Agreed - I'm not sure they get it, man... some guys are made to be coordinators, not HCs... he just happens to be one of them.

Jom112
09-29-2008, 05:29 PM

Agreed - I'm not sure they get it, man... some guys are made to be coordinators, not HCs... he just happens to be one of them.

I agree with you that he's a good coordinator. I just don't know about the timing. I guess I'm in the boat that you need a little decompressing time, maybe as a QB Coach or WR Coach before assuming the OC responsibility again after a debacle like he just went through...

SteelerOfDeVille
09-29-2008, 05:54 PM

I agree with you that he's a good coordinator. I just don't know about the timing. I guess I'm in the boat that you need a little decompressing time, maybe as a QB Coach or WR Coach before assuming the OC responsibility again after a debacle like he just went through...
well, it wouldn't happen mid-season... when arians is let go at the end of this season, Linehan wouldn't be a bad option...

Ozey74
09-29-2008, 06:49 PM

Cam Cameron is also in this category.

RuthlessBurgher
09-29-2008, 06:58 PM

Cam Cameron is also in this category.

Current head coaches like Norv Turner and Wade Phillips would have been better off staying coordinators. The Chargers and Cowboys are loaded with talent, but I think those head coaches hold them back. Our own "Bad Word" is a much better D.C. than he was a head coach.

stlrz d
09-29-2008, 07:45 PM
Haslett won't do any better with this team. Poor DC...worse HC.

Ozey74
09-29-2008, 08:25 PM
Haslett won't do any better with this team. Poor DC...worse HC.

Yeah, but he was good on "Beverly Hills 90210"!!

http://vis-www.cs.umass.edu/lfw/images/Jim_Haslett/Jim_Haslett_0001.jpg

http://www.buddytv.com/articles/Ian%20Ziering01.jpg