PDA

View Full Version : Mendenhall Knows Nothing of Smack-Talkin' Text Message

fordfixer
09-29-2008, 12:19 AM
Steelers RB Rashard Mendenhall Knows Nothing of Smack-Talkin' Text Message
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/09/28/stee ... talkin-te/ (http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/09/28/steelers-rb-rashard-mendenhall-knows-nothing-of-smack-talkin-te/)

Ryan WilsonPosted Sep 28th 2008 12:00PM by Ryan Wilson (author feed)
Filed under: Ravens, Steelers, AFC North

On Friday, ESPN.com blogger James Walker reported that Steelers rookie running back Rashard Mendenhall had sent a swagger-rific text to his friend Ray Rice, who also happens to be a rookie running back for the Ravens, Pittsburgh's opponent on Monday night.

That's all linebacker Bart Scott, attempted murderer, needed to get adequately motivated for the big game. Funny story: Mendenhall didn't actually send the text. From SteelCityInsider.com's Jim Wexell:

On Friday, James Walker ... reported that ... Mendenhall had texted ... Rice and that Mendenhall boasted he would have "a big day" in his first career start against a Ravens defense that hasn't allowed a 100-yard rusher in 21 games, the NFL's longest current streak. ...

The maneuver surprised those who've dealt with the quiet and humble Mendenhall this year. So it was no surprise when Walker updated his story on Saturday that Mendenhall denied doing it.

"That was news to me," Mendenhall said. "Everybody that knows me knows that's not my style."

Steelers backup offensive lineman Darnell Stapleton, college teammate of Rice, said, "I talked to (Rice) the other day. He's talking his regular smack. He's confident in himself and confident in his team." Which prompted Wexell to write: "Of course, Stapleton didn't feel the need to type up Rice's comment and post it on the bulletin board."

I imagine the latest revelation won't change how Scott prepares for Monday night. Not so much because he needs "bulletin-board material" to get inspired, but because I don't think players put too much stock in pregame media reports. Which is probably advice we should all follow.

stlrz d
09-29-2008, 06:51 AM
Steelers RB Rashard Mendenhall Knows Nothing of Smack-Talkin' Text Message
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/09/28/stee ... talkin-te/ (http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/09/28/steelers-rb-rashard-mendenhall-knows-nothing-of-smack-talkin-te/)

Ryan WilsonPosted Sep 28th 2008 12:00PM by Ryan Wilson (author feed)
Filed under: Ravens, Steelers, AFC North

On Friday, ESPN.com blogger James Walker reported that Steelers rookie running back Rashard Mendenhall had sent a swagger-rific text to his friend Ray Rice, who also happens to be a rookie running back for the Ravens, Pittsburgh's opponent on Monday night.

That's all linebacker Bart Scott, attempted murderer, needed to get adequately motivated for the big game. Funny story: Mendenhall didn't actually send the text. From SteelCityInsider.com's Jim Wexell:

On Friday, James Walker ... reported that ... Mendenhall had texted ... Rice and that Mendenhall boasted he would have "a big day" in his first career start against a Ravens defense that hasn't allowed a 100-yard rusher in 21 games, the NFL's longest current streak. ...

The maneuver surprised those who've dealt with the quiet and humble Mendenhall this year. So it was no surprise when Walker updated his story on Saturday that Mendenhall denied doing it.

"That was news to me," Mendenhall said. "Everybody that knows me knows that's not my style."

Steelers backup offensive lineman Darnell Stapleton, college teammate of Rice, said, "I talked to (Rice) the other day. He's talking his regular smack. He's confident in himself and confident in his team." Which prompted Wexell to write: "Of course, Stapleton didn't feel the need to type up Rice's comment and post it on the bulletin board."

I imagine the latest revelation won't change how Scott prepares for Monday night. Not so much because he needs "bulletin-board material" to get inspired, but because I don't think players put too much stock in pregame media reports. Which is probably advice we should all follow.

I would love to share this article with some of my peeps in Baltimore, but not with that gaffe. Ray Lewis is the guy he's referring to with that shot.

Iron Shiek
09-29-2008, 10:55 AM
Well Bart Scott DID say he was going to kill Hines didn't he? I guess it just hasn't been attempted yet. Ha.

Anyway, i don't recall seeing this being one of the top headlines on ESPN.com like they did when they "broke" the news that mendenhall was talking crap. I hate the media.

dcsteelerfan
09-29-2008, 05:44 PM
It's not like the Ravens are playing the Lions or Rams - if Bart Scott needs this nonsense to get him hyped up for the game, so be it. Both teams need this game - the Steelers to get their swagger back, and the Ravens to prove they can beat someone other than Cleveland and Cincy at home.

NKySteeler
09-29-2008, 05:48 PM
It's not like the Ravens are playing the Lions or Rams - if Bart Scott needs this nonsense to get him hyped up for the game, so be it.

...If any player needs help in the motivation department for this game, there is something wrong with them...

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-29-2008, 06:33 PM
It's not like the Ravens are playing the Lions or Rams - if Bart Scott needs this nonsense to get him hyped up for the game, so be it.

...If any player needs help in the motivation department for this game, there is something wrong with them...

I agree, NKy , it's actually belittling to the players, like they're some sort of retarded Igor-like creatures that needs to smell raw meat to get moving.

RuthlessBurgher
09-29-2008, 07:01 PM

I agree, NKy , it's actually belittling to the players, like they're some sort of retarded Igor-like creatures that needs to smell raw meat to get moving.

I think you pretty much just described Bart Scott in a nutshell. :twisted: :ratsuck

stlrz d
09-29-2008, 07:43 PM
Well Bart Scott DID say he was going to kill Hines didn't he? I guess it just hasn't been attempted yet. Ha.

Anyway, i don't recall seeing this being one of the top headlines on ESPN.com like they did when they "broke" the news that mendenhall was talking crap. I hate the media.

DOH! I didn't even think of it like that...but you are correct!