PDA

View Full Version : I wish we played the Broncos this season

stlrz d
09-28-2008, 04:14 PM
Their defense absolutely sucks.

As a result I am about to lose 13 points in my confidence pick em pool since they were my lock of the week AND I am about to get knocked out of my loser pool at work since I picked the Chiefs thinking it was a no brainer.

I think I took the Broncos in our pool here as well.

:HeadBanger

I guess the only good news is Cutler is my QB in my money league and they're relegated to throwing every down now...and it's against the prevent D.

RuthlessBurgher
09-28-2008, 04:31 PM
The Browns play them though, and their defense sucks almost as bad (today's game against the Palmer-less Bengals doesn't impress me). I could see the Broncos-Browns game surpassing the Jets-Cardinals game for total points scored.

LasVegasGuy
09-28-2008, 04:56 PM
Defense or no defense a Tomlin coached team would have trouble beating someone not named Bengals, Browns or Ravens.

stlrz d
09-28-2008, 04:57 PM
Here we go again. :roll:

RuthlessBurgher
09-28-2008, 05:03 PM
Defense or no defense a Tomlin coached team would have trouble beating someone not named Bengals, Browns or Ravens.

Any knowledgeable football fan knows that the most important games to win are your divisional games. Non conference games such as the one against the Eagles last weekend aren't nearly as important in the grand scheme of things.

Jom112
09-28-2008, 05:14 PM
Their defense absolutely sucks.

As a result I am about to lose 13 points in my confidence pick em pool since they were my lock of the week AND I am about to get knocked out of my loser pool at work since I picked the Chiefs thinking it was a no brainer.

I think I took the Broncos in our pool here as well.

:HeadBanger

I guess the only good news is Cutler is my QB in my money league and they're relegated to throwing every down now...and it's against the prevent D.

You guys get to play us and the Browns twice and you're asking for even more easy games?

NKySteeler
09-28-2008, 05:20 PM
Any knowledgeable football fan knows that the most important games to win are your divisional games. Non conference games such as the one against the Eagles last weekend aren't nearly as important in the grand scheme of things.

...But for the most part, we all (AFC North teams) play similar teams except for a vary few exceptions... Overall record is important to this extent. Not that any other team within the division will have better luck with them, but it still holds potential to be important. While the non-conference game against Philly wasn't AS important, it still has alot of meaning as to where everyone will end up, IMO.

RuthlessBurgher
09-28-2008, 05:31 PM

...But for the most part, we all (AFC North teams) play similar teams except for a vary few exceptions... Overall record is important to this extent. Not that any other team within the division will have better luck with them, but it still holds potential to be important. While the non-conference game against Philly wasn't AS important, it still has alot of meaning as to where everyone will end up, IMO.

It is better to go 6-0 against BAL-CIN-CLE and 0-6 against DAL-NYG-PHI-WAS-NE-SD than it would be to go 6-0 against DAL-NYG-PHI-WAS-NE-SD and 0-6 against BAL-CIN-CLE.

NKySteeler
09-28-2008, 05:42 PM
It is better to go 6-0 against BAL-CIN-CLE and 0-6 against DAL-NYG-PHI-WAS-NE-SD than it would be to go 6-0 against DAL-NYG-PHI-WAS-NE-SD and 0-6 against BAL-CIN-CLE.

Very true... I am not underevaluating the divisional games... But since we all have similar opponents, losing is still a big deal, especially if one of our divisional teams pull out a win some how... If we finish, say, 9-7 and sweep the division while Balt finishes 10-6 and loses 5 of 6 within the division, it doesn't matter.... That is the aspect I was getting at... But what if we (within the division) are tied at the end?... I agree that the divisional games hold more weight, all things being equal. ... But beyond that, overall record against similar teams is also important.... Isn't it also one of the "tie breakers" if needed (I don't recall the progression of tiebreakers off-hand)?... And yes, if the example I gave panned out, we would win... I know.... But what if the divisional record were tied?... I'm just sayin' that's all.... Hell, it is too early to say for sure, but it would just be nice to have a better record over similar opponents...

LasVegasGuy
09-28-2008, 09:41 PM

Keep telling yourself that as we continue to keep losing to teams like the Jets, Cardinals, Patriots, Jaguars, Broncos, Eagles.

We should all be thankful we play in the AFC North. This is the only division other then the NFC West where we can hide the fact that our coach stinks. Don't let the phony AFC North title fool you because you have to remember the division we play in. It doesn't take a superior coach to have a better record then the garbage teams we play in the North. If we don't start beating teams outside our division we can forget about ever advancing in the playoffs but I guess that is O.K. as long as Tomlin keeps getting handed AFC North titles.

SteelerNation1
09-28-2008, 10:46 PM
It was the same way with Cowher. Cripes, you'd complain even harder if he couldn't win a division game.

LasVegasGuy
09-28-2008, 11:15 PM
It was the same way with Cowher. Cripes, you'd complain even harder if he couldn't win a division game.

Time will tell. Time will tell. This clown will not last 16 years keeping dead wood like Arians and Zierlein (sp) around. He also better learn how to game adjust especially at halftime if he has any chance of keeping his job. I honestly think the only thing keeping this thing from completely unraveling is we have Ben and Lebeau. If Tomlin was given a mediocre quarterback and a defensive coordinator that coached liked him we would be battling the other scrubs in our division for last place.

RuthlessBurgher
09-28-2008, 11:57 PM

Keep telling yourself that as we continue to keep losing to teams like the Jets, Cardinals, Patriots, Jaguars, Broncos, Eagles.

We should all be thankful we play in the AFC North. This is the only division other then the NFC West where we can hide the fact that our coach stinks. Don't let the phony AFC North title fool you because you have to remember the division we play in. It doesn't take a superior coach to have a better record then the garbage teams we play in the North. If we don't start beating teams outside our division we can forget about ever advancing in the playoffs but I guess that is O.K. as long as Tomlin keeps getting handed AFC North titles.

Keeps getting handed AFC North titles? He's been here for all of one full season! He won 5 games against AFC North opponents last year and 5 games against non-AFC-North opponents last year. Before you can advance in the playoffs, you have to make the playoffs first, and the most direct way to do that is to win your division. That's your first goal every season, and it was accomplished right off the bat. Once you get your ticket punched to the tournament, anything can happen in the playoffs. You witnessed the Giants last year and the Steelers in '05.

You are now three games into his second season, and you have already deduced that he "stinks." If he stinks so badly, if you were in charge, would you suggest firing a guy who went 10-6 as a first-time head coach and is 2-1 so far in his second season? Not even Al Davis could possibly be that dumb.

stlrz d
09-29-2008, 06:49 AM

Keeps getting handed AFC North titles? He's been here for all of one full season! He won 5 games against AFC North opponents last year and 5 games against non-AFC-North opponents last year. Before you can advance in the playoffs, you have to make the playoffs first, and the most direct way to do that is to win your division. That's your first goal every season, and it was accomplished right off the bat. Once you get your ticket punched to the tournament, anything can happen in the playoffs. You witnessed the Giants last year and the Steelers in '05.

You are now three games into his second season, and you have already deduced that he "stinks." If he stinks so badly, if you were in charge, would you suggest firing a guy who went 10-6 as a first-time head coach and is 2-1 so far in his second season? Not even Al Davis could possibly be that dumb.

He wanted Tomlin gone half way through last season.

RuthlessBurgher
09-29-2008, 10:16 AM

Yeah...I wanted him gone after that 7-2 start to his first season as well. :roll:

LasVegasGuy
09-29-2008, 11:06 AM

I didn't think he was the right choice before he even stepped on the field last year forget half way through the season.

He ended the season on a 1-4 slide, he backed into the playoffs because we play in the crappy AFC North, he wasn't able to beat a decent team last year, he keeps Arians around because he doesn't have the balls to fire him, he tells the O.C. to scale down the playbook because it's to hard on the players rather then holding these multi-millionaire dollar players accountable. You wouldn't see Parcells scalling back the playbook you would see new guys coming in and the brain dead players heading out. He doesn't know how to adjust during the game. He lets the coordinators run the show while he sits back and listens to music on the headset. We get stupid press conference sound bites such as we didn't make enough "splash plays". He has no emotion, he stands there like a male cheerleader when things go wrong. He is obviously afraid of confrontation with players and coaches. In a nutshell this guy sucks in my opinion and the sooner we move away from the Tomlin era the better off I will be. We have way to much talent to lose to every worth while contender we face plus the a s s kicking we got from the Eagles was downright embarassing. Hopefully, we can make enough "splash plays" tonight otherwise I see the wheels completely falling off the cart for Sir Tomlin especially with Jax up next who we couldn't beat twice last year and we were home. Can you say 2-3 heading into the bye week and the meat of our schedule due up. All I can say is if I have to deal with Tomlin thank god we play in the AFC North.

LasVegasGuy
09-29-2008, 11:15 AM

O.K. let's list those 5 impressive non-divisional wins. We beat the Dolphins, Bills, 49ers, Seachickens and the always tough Rams.

C'mon is that the best you got? And let's not forget this year with impressive wins against the Turds and Texans. How in the world can we be taken seriously when all we do is feast on botton dwellers? When it comes time to put up or shut up Tomlin fails miserably as a coach.

NC Steeler Fan
09-29-2008, 11:58 AM
First of all, I wonder how many people calling for Tomlin's head on a platter
would be so quick to accept such absolute condemnation of their own talents
at still such a relatively early stage in their career?

Second, the ta-tas in the T-shirt are now serving a useful purpose in that
all I have to do is scroll downward fast enough to catch a glimpse of them
and know to move on...

Any given Sunday....

LasVegasGuy
09-29-2008, 12:04 PM

and know to move on...

Any given Sunday....

Why waste your time scrolling go right to the ignore feature? Let's see how you feel when we are 2-3 heading into the bye-week. Better yet lets see if you still feel the same way about Tomlin when we finish the season 7-9. I can hear the excuses now "the schedule was to tough", "it's only his 2nd year"...... Blah, Blah, Blah.......

RuthlessBurgher
09-29-2008, 12:28 PM

and know to move on...

Any given Sunday....

Why waste your time scrolling go right to the ignore feature? Let's see how you feel when we are 2-3 heading into the bye-week. Better yet lets see if you still feel the same way about Tomlin when we finish the season 7-9. I can hear the excuses now "the schedule was to tough", "it's only his 2nd year"...... Blah, Blah, Blah.......

I will never understand the mentality of those that seem like they would prefer to have their team lose so that they can come back here and beat their chest with "I told you so, I was right, Neener neener ha ha!!!"
:loser :Hater :Blah

stlrz d
09-29-2008, 02:29 PM

and know to move on...

Any given Sunday....

I will never understand the mentality of those that seem like they would prefer to have their team lose so that they can come back here and beat their chest with "I told you so, I was right, Neener neener ha ha!!!"
:loser :Hater :Blah

Me either. Tomlin won the division and made the playoffs his first season despite some key injuries down the stretch. He's doing a fine job.

Sure he can improve and I believe he will...or at least he will work at it. Someone his age doesn't get where he is via sheer luck. He has impressed everywhere he's been and he'll continue to do so, imo. He's a smart, driven individual.