PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Q&A with Carey Davis

fordfixer
09-28-2008, 01:43 AM
Steelers Q&A with Carey Davis
By The Tribune-Review
Sunday, September 28, 2008
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 90521.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_590521.html)

The Steelers will try to bounce back from a humbling 15-6 loss to the Eagles Monday night against the visiting Ravens. Fullback Carey Davis, for one, knows what it is like to fight through adversity. The 5-10, 225-pounder was cut by three different teams (Falcons, Colts and Buccaneers) and spent time on the Dolphins' practice squad before sticking with the Steelers.

Davis is in his second season as the Steelers' starting fullback, and he could assume a more prominent role in the running game with Willie Parker sidelined by a sprained knee.

Davis recently talked to the Tribune-Review about the difficult route he had to take to the NFL, his memories from umpiring baseball games as a teenager and the benefits of interning for the sports information department when he played for Illinois.

Q: Do you anticipate getting more carries against the Ravens since Willie Parker will miss the game and rookie Rashard Mendenhall will play in his place?

A: "I'm always prepared for whatever role comes up. We have a great guy in Rashard who's going to step up and do what he has to do. But if need be I can come in there and fill the void."

Q: How much do you appreciate where you are given what it took for you to get here?

A: "I thank God every day that I'm able to have a job and come to work. I remember days when I was just sitting at home just wishing to be able and come out and practice."

Q: What's the closest you came to giving up on your dream to play in the NFL?

A: "I never really came close to hanging it up. I always felt like I was capable of playing and it was a matter of being in the right position, being in the right spot where they were going to give me an opportunity to play. Once I got that I was going to take full advantage of it. It was frustrating, it was rough at times but after going through that it makes you stronger."

Q: What would you be doing if you weren't playing football?

A: "Coaching. That's what I did when I was out of football, I was coaching at a high school, helping out with the kids. I love helping kids in any way so if I can help them and guide them to do something better than that's good for me."

Q: Does that mean your post-playing plans include coaching?

A: "Not college, not pros but high school, probably head coaching. It would be a joy for me to watch my (players) go to college and hopefully the pros."

Q: One of your summer jobs included umpiring little league baseball games. What was that like?

A: "It was fun when it was just dealing with the kids. I was 15 and 16 and (parents) feel like they can talk to you a certain way, and they got kind of rude so I had to nip that in the bud a couple of times. I told them their kid wasn't going to keep playing unless they left and then the kid would say, 'Hey, dad leave, go home.' "

Q: Do you have an enduring memory from your umpiring days?

A: "The funniest thing that ever happened to me was when I was the home-plate umpire and they put in a catcher that couldn't catch so every ball hit me. I had to say, 'Hey coach you need to get someone in here who can catch. I'm not stopping every ball and I don't want to keep getting hit so you need to bring someone back here who can catch the ball.' The next inning he did."

Q: Why did you intern in the sports information department when you were at Illinois?

A: "I just wanted to see how everything worked. It was fun for me. I got to do a lot of different things. I helped put the media guide together for our football season for the upcoming season."

Q: Did you edit your biography in the media guide?

A: "I made my bio. I also got to pick the cover for each game for the program. I put myself on the cover for the Homecoming game."