PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Foote hasn't lost a step

fordfixer
09-28-2008, 01:23 AM
Steelers' Foote hasn't lost a step
By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, September 28, 2008
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 90576.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_590576.html)

So much for the once hot-button training camp topic regarding Lawrence Timmons beating out incumbent Larry Foote for one of the Steelers' starting inside linebacker spots.

Foote remains entrenched on the first-team. Ever present beside fellow inside linebacker James Farrior, Foote is part of a defense ranking third in the AFC and fourth in the league in total defense, allowing just 234 yards per game.

Third on the team in tackles last season, Foote again ranks near the top with 19 stops entering Monday night's contest against the Baltimore Ravens at Heinz Field.

For the time being, Foote has squashed any talk about Timmons, last year's No. 1 draft pick, replacing him in the lineup.

"I don't pay any attention to that. It's just three games -- a long way to go. It's competition all the time, all season," Foote said following Saturday's practice. "No doubt about it, in the future that's going to be Lawrence Timmons' spot. He's the No. 1 pick who has talent and ability. But right now, I'm holding my own.

"I told the coaches and everybody else my play isn't going to take me off the field. With my health and my age (28), it's going to be hard for them to sit me down."

While Timmons' quick burst to the football borders on the spectacular, Foote is steady as she goes.

Timmons, with nine tackles this season, has a reputation for being a playmaker. All Foote does is make plays.

"You've always got to be consistent in this league and make your plays. I can control that," said Foote, who also has 1 1/2 sacks this season. "That's the mind-set you have to have every year. If you have a bad year, they can get rid of you. I learned that in the draft, being in the fourth round and coming here as a backup. If you put the work in, it's going to work out. If I stay healthy, God willing, the sky's the limit."

Notes: Nose tackle Chris Hoke makes his first start this season, replacing Casey Hampton (groin). Hoke recorded five tackles and 1/2 sack against Seattle in his only start in 2007. ... Linebacker Patrick Bailey made his NFL debut last week, replacing linebacker Donovan Woods (hamstring). Bailey had one special teams tackle against Philadelphia.

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

BIG FAN
09-28-2008, 02:23 AM
Looks like the rokie has lit a fire under Larry's aspect.

Ozey74
09-28-2008, 06:43 AM
I wasn't aware that Larry was only 28. Seems like he's been around longer for him to be only 28.