PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin Tells Arians To Reduce Number Of Plays....

NKySteeler
09-27-2008, 02:18 PM
This was from the Post-Gazette this morning...
----------------------------

Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians has been told by coach Mike Tomlin to limit the number of offensive plays against the Ravens in an attempt to avoid the confusion that occurred in Philadelphia.

That doesn't mean rookie running back Rashard Mendenhall, who will replace Willie Parker, injured with a sprained knee, will have a reduced playbook because it is his first NFL start.

"He's like any player on our team -- we don't change anything for anybody," Arians said. "You step in, you're a starter for the Steelers, you run the Steelers' offense."

Here's the full rundown with other topics as well....
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08271/915606-66.stm

buckeyehoppy
09-27-2008, 03:48 PM
He's kidding, right?

I'm not sure it's possible to reduce the number of plays the Steelers run on game day. They are already running an O that's too limited as it is. That's why it's so g-ddam easy to key on BB with a blitz.

If anything, they should be expanding the number of plays they use on game day.

I hope that what Tomlin said here is nothing more than a smoke screen.

NKySteeler
09-27-2008, 04:00 PM

I hope you're right. This same subject has been posted on several other boards today, and has had several opinions stated.

I view it (if true) as a lack of confidence in the offense.

..... However you wish to slice it, I view this as a form of "regression" instead of "progression" for this offense (if it is true). It is a loud and clear statement that he knows something is terribly wrong. Otherwise, he would have concluded that it was one game, and move on...

I just don't get it... We have some great levels of talent on the offense that can produce favorable results and wins, but it is underutilized.

costanza2k1
09-27-2008, 05:23 PM
Maybe he means that they maybe asking Ben to do too much, call the line blocking and such...just a theory, who knows except for the folks involved.

NKySteeler
09-27-2008, 05:45 PM
Maybe he means that they maybe asking Ben to do too much, call the line blocking and such...just a theory, who knows except for the folks involved.

Could be... But isn't Ben getting to the point that this is what they wanted? Granted, no one outside of the immediate staff knows for sure... But reducing the offensive plays doesn't cut back on the protection call by Ben that much, it just reduces and "vanellifies" the offense at a time it should be expanding, IMO...

However you wish to look at it, I think most will agree that it is NOT a step in the positive direction or expansion of the offense... But to do so for one games' results? ...I'm sorry, but I see more to it than that. I would think that they would consider it "one game" and move on... It just seems extreme to me.

BTW stanz, I apologize...

LasVegasGuy
09-27-2008, 05:53 PM

Could be... But isn't Ben getting to the point that this is what they wanted? Granted, no one outside of the immediate staff knows for sure... But reducing the offensive plays doesn't cut back on the protection call by Ben that much, it just reduces and "vanellifies" the offense at a time it should be expanding, IMO...

However you wish to look at it, I think most will agree that it is NOT a step in the positive direction or expansion of the offense... But to do so for one games' results? ...I'm sorry, but I see more to it than that. I would think that they would consider it "one game" and move on... It just seems extreme to me.

Just another example that our coaches don't have a clue. I am getting very, very frustrated watching these clowns we call coaches reaching for things week in and week out. Is Cowher ready to come back in 2009? All these losers need to go except for Lebeau.

buckeyehoppy
09-27-2008, 06:24 PM

I view it (if true) as a lack of confidence in the offense.

If you're right, NKy, are the Steelers "on the clock" for a new OC? Arians can't be on real solid ground right now and Zierlein has to be pretty close to standing on a banana peel with a foot in the grave.

I just don't get it... We have some great levels of talent on the offense that can produce favorable results and wins, but it is underutilized.

Underutilized? Nah. Not Heath Miller...or Moore...or Mendy...or Carey. If you mean that they are underutilized because their OC can't design enough of an offense to be creative enough to keep the D on the field and to allow the O to sustain a drive then I think I get it.

NKySteeler
09-27-2008, 06:43 PM
Underutilized? Nah. Not Heath Miller...or Moore...or Mendy...or Carey. If you mean that they are underutilized because their OC can't design enough of an offense to be creative enough to keep the D on the field and to allow the O to sustain a drive then I think I get it.

:Clap ..... Man, you're preachin' to the choir, because we are obviously on the same page.

.... But don't you mean "keep the D OFF the field"... :?: ............. :lol:
(or are you referring to the opposing D....)

'Ya know, I'm not trying to sound bad or bitch as a "complainer", but this is an issue that has been evident from mid-last season on... It is going to be an issue, so we will just have to deal with it the remainder of the season. We will win and we will lose. How much of a deciding factor it actually is, remains to be seen. Hopefully it changes during the off-season....

And yes, in my humble opinion, the Steelers should be "on the clock" for a new OC. There will be plenty of worthy candidates. But I think we must wait till the off-season.....

costanza2k1
09-27-2008, 06:54 PM

Not necessary but excepted my friend.

NKySteeler
09-27-2008, 07:02 PM

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/9681/thumbsupkh0.gif

costanza2k1
09-27-2008, 07:19 PM

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/9681/thumbsupkh0.gif

Damn that stlrzd! He's cursed me! There goes my ESL again...it's accepted not excepted.

BigBen2112
09-28-2008, 10:21 AM
We made our BIG free agent move this offseason and brought in Moore to handle the 3rd down job and KR/PR. And what are we doing with him? Never throwing him the ball although that's basically his specialty, seeing Ben get annihilated behind a sh*t poor line, having our OC only what 2 times call a screen pass when the D was CLEARLY doing nothing besides all out blitzing and a successful screen pass could have broken them, and oh yeah instead we have Mendenhall returning kicks which he SUCKS at...I have yet to see even a half-way decent KR by Mendenhall.

Overall I think we have done a great job with our coaching staff. Oh and why is it that we did not kick a FG last week a couple of times that we could have with Jeff Reed to give us a better chance to win? I believe there was another 50 yarder we could have kicked right after Reeds 53 yard field goal.

Between the FO and the Coaching staff right now...I think we have WAY too much talent to be looking at the prospects that we are: 1) Ben getting killed, 2) Offense not producing, 3) The Defense perpetually on the field because we cant sustain drives, 4) An offense without any ability to adapt, and now needs to be "pared down"...HUH? Or maybe the COACHING STAFF needs to get a damn clue and make adjustments. Maybe we should not base our whole offense on the gameplan decided before the game EVEN STARTED.

W00T.

buckeyehoppy
09-28-2008, 10:45 AM

'Ya know, I'm not trying to sound bad or bitch as a "complainer", but this is an issue that has been evident from mid-last season on... It is going to be an issue, so we will just have to deal with it the remainder of the season. We will win and we will lose. How much of a deciding factor it actually is, remains to be seen. Hopefully it changes during the off-season....

And yes, in my humble opinion, the Steelers should be "on the clock" for a new OC. There will be plenty of worthy candidates. But I think we must wait till the off-season.....

NKy, I meant the opposing D, for the record.

The table had been set with Arians at the start of the season, so the Steelers should limp with him through the end of it. There are lots of examples of throwing coordinators under the bus during the season and it just ends up making a bad situation worse.

I also looked back at the Heath Miller draft. Unless the Steelers wanted to take Logan Mankins or Reggie Brown (both would look pretty damned good in Black and Gold right now), Heath was where they were going.

But he has been calamitously underused the entire time he's been here. Unless somebody can find a way to utilize him in a substantive way, he should be traded for his value in the draft. He's obviously misused, underused or however you wish to look at it.

I'd rather have a second round pick or better for him if he's just going to gather dust. You can start Spaeth and use a fourth or fifth rounder to get someone to be the second TE.

Having a third first day pick in the upcoming draft has a certain amount of appeal to it when you look at the fact that the Steelers have a borderline rebuild on their hands on the OL and need to get younger on the DL. The next draft will be huge to get new blood in both places and if Arians can't or won't use Miller, his value for a high draft pick is much more than his value on the roster.

Djfan
09-28-2008, 06:05 PM
Curse you for even thinking about trading Miller!

Except you are right.

SteelTorch
09-28-2008, 08:44 PM

NKy, I meant the opposing D, for the record.

The table had been set with Arians at the start of the season, so the Steelers should limp with him through the end of it. There are lots of examples of throwing coordinators under the bus during the season and it just ends up making a bad situation worse.

I also looked back at the Heath Miller draft. Unless the Steelers wanted to take Logan Mankins or Reggie Brown (both would look pretty damned good in Black and Gold right now), Heath was where they were going.

But he has been calamitously underused the entire time he's been here. Unless somebody can find a way to utilize him in a substantive way, he should be traded for his value in the draft. He's obviously misused, underused or however you wish to look at it.

I'd rather have a second round pick or better for him if he's just going to gather dust. You can start Spaeth and use a fourth or fifth rounder to get someone to be the second TE.

Having a third first day pick in the upcoming draft has a certain amount of appeal to it when you look at the fact that the Steelers have a borderline rebuild on their hands on the OL and need to get younger on the DL. The next draft will be huge to get new blood in both places and if Arians can't or won't use Miller, his value for a high draft pick is much more than his value on the roster.
I agree with a lot of what you say, but trade MILLER? That's crazy. He's one of Ben's favorite end-zone targets and one of our most reliable catchers. That's almost as bad as DVSONE's "trade Parker" agenda.

And as far as the topic, this just makes me shake my head. Our problem is we don't use enough plays. We're sadly predictable, and it showed in the Philly game. Oh well.

I like Tomlin, but if he has any balls, he'll dump Arians when this season is over, UNLESS the man shows a remarkable improvement. As of now though, he's nothing short of a liability to this team.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-29-2008, 12:40 AM
OK, they didn't hire me as the Steelers coach, but the way I see it is:

1) We have an incredible number of weapons on offense - more than the average team. Think - BB, Hines, Parker, Miller, Moore, Mendenhall, to name a few.
2) This gives us the possibility to run many kinds of plays in addition to a 5 or 7-step drop. For example - sweeps, passes to RB in flat, quick slants, long bombs, etc.
3) Simplifying the play book nullifies the advantage in offensive weapons we have. It's like saying - "OK, we have to much talent ... we'll sit some so the other team can beat us".

My point (besides that italics can be annoying when overused) is that we should be expanding the playbook, not "simplifying" it. It's already as simple as can be, choices are: a) 5 step drop and throw the ball long, b) 7 step drop and throw the ball long, c) FWP up the middle.

Just my :2c

buckeyehoppy
09-29-2008, 01:06 AM
FWIW, I love Heath Miller...in the purely platonic and football sense :lol: :lol: :lol:

But I'm game to trade him if the Steelers do the following:

1) Keep Bruce Arians, which, for the record, would be a huge mistake if he can't get Heath more involved with the offense than using him for blocking. If that's what happens, then...

2)...get a 1st or high 2nd for him in the draft. He was 30th overall when he was drafted, so if they can get somewhere in the ball park of the 20th to 40th overall. I'd be OK with that, if Arians continues to misuse him.

Another FWIW...I hope the Steelers have Heath for all of his productive career. But it's useless to have him if the OC won't use him in an appropriate manner.

The guy has great hands and gets wonderful YAC every time he touches the ball because he's such a load to tackle. He's very good at blocking, although that point has been driven home repeatedly by this OC. What's not to like about him?

If the Steelers don't plan on trading him, then launch Arians. He's afflicted with Clowns Disease anyway, so it would be addition by subtraction.

SteelerOfDeVille
09-29-2008, 01:15 PM
"He's like any player on our team -- we don't change anything for anybody," Arians said. "You step in, you're a starter for the Steelers, you run the Steelers' offense."[/i]
See, that's stupidity on his part.

I guess he'd have given Ben the full playbook when he took over for Tommy....

In case you weren't totally sure if he was a moron, Arians just solidified that for you.

Ghost
09-29-2008, 02:05 PM
I'm hoping they reduce the number of plays by getting rid of all the quick slants, throws to the flats, screen plays, TE throws, the plays utilizing our 3rd down FA back brought in specifically for his pass catching abilities...oh wait.... :HeadBanger

Oviedo
09-29-2008, 03:02 PM
I'd rather have a smaller number of plays that we can execute corectly than a larger number of plays that we can't.

No one on this board has any idea what this means because the statement is so ambiguous, but since so many are in a state of on going hysteria since last week the first conclusion is that this is bad.

NKySteeler
09-29-2008, 03:23 PM
No one on this board has any idea what this means because the statement is so ambiguous, but since so many are in a state of on going hysteria since last week the first conclusion is that this is bad.

Well, I have been bashing Arians since last November, so personally I wouldn't classify my own attitude as "hysteria"... But yes, my own opinion is that reducing and simplifying the offense is not a step in the positive direction. But then again, no one on this board is employed by the NFL, so opinions are why we're all here...