PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' McFadden to start against Ravens, Tomlin says

fordfixer
09-26-2008, 12:51 AM
Steelers' McFadden to start against Ravens, Tomlin says
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, September 26, 2008
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 90172.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_590172.html)

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Bryant McFadden will start at the cornerback spot opposite Ike Taylor even if Deshea Townsend plays against the Ravens. Townsend, who has been sidelined by a heel contusion, practiced Thursday and said he expects to play Monday. McFadden has started the last two games in place of Townsend and has intercepted a pass in each of those contests. "B Mac's the starter right now," Tomlin said Thursday. "He's performed at a high level. Deshea's not 100 percent ready to go." Townsend will serve as the Steelers' nickel back if he plays against the Ravens.

Starting defensive end Brett Keisel is no longer wearing a protective boot on his right foot and is optimistic that he will resume playing after the Steelers' bye week. The Steelers have a bye the week after they play the Jaguars on Oct. 5. They play the Bengals in Cincinnati on Oct. 19. Keisel strained his right calf in the Steelers' 10-6 win over the Browns on Sept. 14. Travis Kirschke started for Keisel at right defensive end Sunday against the Eagles and had seven tackles and half a sack.

Mewelde Moore said he expects to serve as the Steelers' primary kickoff returner against the Ravens. Rashard Mendenhall has filled that role through the first three games, but he will start at running back against the Ravens because Willie Parker is out with a sprained knee. Moore is the Steelers' No. 1 punt returner as well as their third-down back.

Bruce Arians was effusive in his praise of Ed Reed when asked about the safety before last year's first Ravens-Steelers game. Arians went as far to say that as good as Troy Polamalu is, Reed is better. The Steelers' offensive coordinator did not make the same mistake yesterday when asked the subject of Reed was broached. "I'm not going to say Ed is better than Troy. I got a lot of crap for that last year," Arians said. "I'm keeping Troy, but Ed is great." Coming off an injury-plagued season, Polamalu is back to being his old, play-making self. The four-time Pro Bowler has three interceptions, second most in the NFL. Polamalu did not practice yesterday for the second consecutive day because of a bruised thigh, but Tomlin said the Steelers were just being cautious with the strong safety. "He's going to be able to go (today)," Tomlin said.

In addition to Polamalu, outside linebacker Donovan Woods (hamstring) did not practice yesterday. Parker, Keisel and nose tackle Casey Hampton (groin) have already been ruled out of Monday's game. For the Ravens, running back Le'Ron McClain, tight end Daniel Wilcox (shoulder) and linebacker Nick Greisen (thigh) did not practice. Baltimore have already ruled out defensive tackle Kelly Gregg (knee) and safety Dawan Landry (neck) for the game.

Tomlin said he hasn't decided if the Steelers will dress five or six defensive linemen against the Ravens. If they go with six, they would almost certainly sign defensive tackle Scott Paxson from their practice squad. The Steelers only have five healthy defensive linemen on their 53-man roster.

Digits

6 -- Interceptions the Steelers have made this season, second most in the NFL.

11 -- Interceptions the Steelers made last season.

7 -- Punts Mitch Berger has had downed inside the 20-yard line, second most in the AFC.

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Shawn
09-26-2008, 03:54 AM
McFadden might be the most pleasant surprise we see this season. Most of us knew Woodley would be a beast. Very few people were tooting McFaddens horn. Like I have said before, our secondary is one of the best in the NFL.

stlrz d
09-26-2008, 07:03 AM
He's been playing well...makes me wonder what will happen when Deshea is ready to return.

phillyesq
09-26-2008, 08:52 AM
He's been playing well...makes me wonder what will happen when Deshea is ready to return.

I'm not an Ike Taylor hater, but I wonder if Ike will go to the bench when Deshea is healthy. In any event, it will be a good problem to have.

RuthlessBurgher
09-26-2008, 10:14 AM

I'm not an Ike Taylor hater, but I wonder if Ike will go to the bench when Deshea is healthy. In any event, it will be a good problem to have.

Ike is still option 1. When you play a team with an elite wideout, Ike is the guy you want shadowing him. McFadden and Townsend will spar for 2a and 2b when the time comes.

Ghost
09-26-2008, 10:35 AM
Moore is the Steelers' No. 1 punt returner as well as their third-down back.

This is a damn joke. Moore was brought in specifically to give the Steelers a boost on 3rd downs and because he had good hands coming out of the backfield.

In the last 2 games they are 5 - 25 on 3rd down conversions and Moore has 0 receptions. Why bother bringing him in?

Oviedo
09-26-2008, 11:36 AM
Too bad we didn't resign B Mac before the season because with every game he starts the chances of us resigning him after the season diminish exponentially.

Ghost
09-26-2008, 11:50 AM
Too bad we didn't resign B Mac before the season because with every game he starts the chances of us resigning him after the season diminish exponentially.

I'm pretty sure Drew Rosenhaus is his agent so it'll be a quick and easy deal that's overly cap friendly to the Steelers!

BIG FAN
09-26-2008, 11:55 AM

I'm pretty sure Drew Rosenhaus is his agent so it'll be a quick and easy deal that's overly cap friendly to the Steelers!

Didn't expect that, nearly spit coffee all over my screen. :lol:

Snatch98
09-26-2008, 12:01 PM
McFadden might be the most pleasant surprise we see this season. Most of us knew Woodley would be a beast. Very few people were tooting McFaddens horn. Like I have said before, our secondary is one of the best in the NFL.

I was tooting McFadden's horn but only because what I was told from someone that has occasional insider information that he was going to break out. Apparently Dick Lebeau has been singing his praises for a while and told the guy I know personally that McFadden was going to be a superstar in the NFL. I guess we'll see how things shake out but so far so good. :)

SteelerOfDeVille
09-26-2008, 12:17 PM
Some of use called him our best CB... I also said that we shoulda signed him to an extension while we could get him on the cheap - like we did with FWP. We just blew it there.

Shawn
09-26-2008, 12:22 PM
Some of use called him our best CB... I also said that we shoulda signed him to an extension while we could get him on the cheap - like we did with FWP. We just blew it there.

Yea...both you and I have loved the guy for years. I was just trying to be modest. :mrgreen:

SteelerOfDeVille
09-26-2008, 12:23 PM

Yea...both you and I have loved the guy for years. I was just trying to be modest. :mrgreen:
:Boobs

stlrz d
09-26-2008, 07:13 PM
So the McFadden deal will be like Chad Brown all over again, huh? Could have had him on the "cheap" but instead we'll end up losing him? :(