PDA

View Full Version : Ward, Scott deny animosity exists

fordfixer
09-26-2008, 12:47 AM
Ward, Scott deny animosity exists
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, September 26, 2008
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 90171.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_590171.html)

Baltimore Ravens linebacker Bart Scott told reporters after a 38-7 loss to the Steelers in 2007 that he had threatened Hines Ward.

When asked about it earlier this week, the Steelers' wide receiver laughed and said, "Yeah, he threatened to kill me after the game."

That bad blood lingers between the two as a result of a Ward block is apparently news to Scott. Ward, too, for that matter.

Each downplayed what happened the only time they played against one another last year, as well as how it might impact Monday night's 8:30 game between the AFC North rivals at Heinz Field.

"What are you talking about?" Scott said Thursday when asked if he still held a grudge against Ward. "I don't have a rivalry with anybody. Just trying to get ready for a football game."

Scott was still seething after last November's game, during which Ward flattened him at the end of a Willie Parker run. He said at the time that it was a cheap shot.

Ward, one of the best blocking wide receivers in the NFL, still bristles at any suggestion that what he did was anything other than good, clean football.

"I didn't get any letter from the commissioner saying it was a cheap shot," Ward said yesterday. "It was legal. If it was a cheap shot, then I probably would've went low and tried to blow out his knee. I went high, and he didn't like it. Tell him to go cry somewhere else."

Ward, however, said Scott is a great player and added that the Steelers and Ravens have mutual respect for one another.

Scott, in turn, lauded the work Ward has done in the community and said football players shouldn't take it personally when they absorb a hard hit on the field.

"I was really impressed with what he did, bringing those kids over from Asia last year," Scott said. "I think that was heartfelt.

"You know, football is a totally different thing. I don't care if my mother was out there, I'd smack her around, too. It's football. It doesn't matter. If she had a different jersey on, she's got to be dealt with."

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

proudpittsburgher
09-26-2008, 10:14 AM
You know what, F this lip service. Hit the hell outta 'em Hines. :Beer

BIG FAN
09-26-2008, 12:02 PM
I would love if 86 rocks him enough to get him out of his game. Maybe even see a repeat of him melting down like he did against the pats* last year.