PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Notebook: Improved communications necessary

fordfixer
09-26-2008, 12:36 AM
Steelers Notebook: Improved communications necessary
Thursday, September 25, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08269/914876-66.stm

Ben Roethlisberger stood tall in the locker room Sunday and later on the field. He did not duck once, not even when the media pinned him in.

The Steelers did not send a wave of blitzers after Roethlisberger in practice yesterday, but he expects that from the Baltimore Ravens Monday night.

"We have a better understanding now of what happened Sunday," said Roethlisberger, who was sacked eight times by the Eagles, a number that could easily have doubled. "We made mistakes. The biggest thing that it came down to is communication. We didn't communicate well."

Roethlisberger said his right hand, which forced him to leave the game for good with 3:31 left, is fine and should not bother him. He also said he's not concerned that what happened Sunday will cause other teams to copy it.

"I think people made a lot out of it. I am standing here, and we are good to go and we move on."

On the nose

Starting right defensive end Travis Kirschke also will serve as Chris Hoke's backup at nose tackle, unless the Steelers make another move before Monday.

Kirschke said it's not that far-fetched because he has played nose tackle before, for one season in San Francisco. It came in a 4-3 defense, not a 3-4, but he lined up over center.

"I have some experience. Now, that was five years ago," said Kirschke.

"Obviously, when you have more reps at something and have more experience you feel more comfortable. Obviously, I don't get that time down there. Yeah, I'd like to see Hoke stay healthy."

Injury report

Safety Troy Polamalu was on the injury list and the sideline in practice yesterday with a thigh injury. So, too, was linebacker LaMarr Woodley, with a hamstring injury. Both are expected to play. Besides the three players officially out -- Casey Hampton, Brett Keisel and Willie Parker -- others who did not practice were cornerback Deshea Townsend (heel) and linebacker Donovan Woods (hamstring) and two veterans given the day off, offensive tackle Marvel Smith and wide receiver Hines Ward. Cornerback William Gay (ankle) was limited.

Ravens starting nose tackle Kelly Gregg, who missed the first two games with a knee injury, did not practice yesterday and also is not expected to play.

Quick hits

The Steelers will wear their throwback jerseys and gold helmets Monday night. ... Offensive guard Kendall Simmons won't have to worry about missing the next game. His wife, Celesta, gave birth to their third daughter Tuesday night, Olivia Pearl, 6 pounds, 10 ounces. ... The Steelers are 9-4 against the Ravens in Pittsburgh, and they have won 13 Monday night games in a row at home, last losing in 1991 to the New York Giants. ... The Steelers are first in the AFC with a plus-five in turnover ratio. They have eight takeaways and have lost three turnovers. ... Larry Foote had 1 1/2 sacks in Philadelphia, the first time he has had more than one in a game.
First published on September 25, 2008 at 12:00 am