PDA

View Full Version : Arians Takes Blame For Steelers' Meltdown.

NKySteeler
09-26-2008, 12:25 AM
Arians takes blame for Steelers meltdown
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, September 25, 2008

Clearly irked at the questions that have been directed at the players following the Steelers' 15-6 loss last Sunday, offensive coordinator Bruce Arians took all of the blame for the offense's meltdown in Philadelphia.

The Steelers did not manage a touchdown in the game and their quarterbacks got sacked nine times.

"It's all on me and it's over so you don't have to ask anymore players or anybody else," Arians said today after practice. "It's Bruce Arians' fault. Just spell my name right."

When asked why he is taking all of the blame for what happened in the Eagles' game, Arians said, "I'm the offensive coordinator. I call the plays. They don't work, their mine. Don't ask any more players any more questions about Philly. They need to think about Baltimore."
-------------------------------------------------------

:Blah :Blah :Blah
...Heard all this before...

rpmpit
09-26-2008, 08:31 AM
Ya think???

He's trying to make it seem that he's just doing this to just take pressure off the players and to protect them.

BUT IT IS HIS FAULT!!!!

http://assets.11piecesofflare.com/stickers/4697/8719/zoolander-mugatu-crazy-pills_thumb.jpg

proudpittsburgher
09-26-2008, 10:12 AM
Eh, I'll take it. It was his fault, or seemingly so, and he's taking blame for it. That being said, don't just step up without making adjustments, otherwise it's an empty statement. If he can't make adjustments to his gameplan to compensate for the weaknesses on his team *ahem, o-line*, then he needs to be replaced at seasons' end. I would love to see some adjustments, though.

Shawn
09-26-2008, 07:15 PM
Arians is not alone in the fault department. Everyone on O had a piss poor game including the coaches.

papillon
09-26-2008, 10:02 PM
Arians is not alone in the fault department. Everyone on O had a piss poor game including the coaches.

Except Willie Colon he graded out okay. :wft :stirpot

Pappy

buckeyehoppy
09-27-2008, 01:08 PM
At least he's manning up and taking the blame. What else can ya do?

He can't suit up and go in, so taking the blame is all he can do. That, and do everything he can to reverse the last game's outcome and come out red hot against the NFL's "Number 1 D". If the O can grind up the Rattards D, then we have a good start toward forgiving the gaffe in the Beagles game.

NKySteeler
09-27-2008, 01:43 PM
What else can ya do?.

Change his habits and actually adapt during a tough game...

...I am not "on" him for this individual game against Philly. I am "on" him because he said the same basic thing after the Jets loss last season, then the Pats* loss, then the Jags loss, and then again after the loss in the playoffs... Hey, it's great that he wants to accept responsibility, but that means nothing if he will not or can not change and adapt when we play difficult competition or are not doing well in a game... That is my issue. This team has great talent and the ability to win that is wasted at crucial times.

Now while Shawn pointed out that there were many issues in this past game, and he is absolutely correct, this is a "trend" or "character" issue of the playcalling that this team has, and it rests solely on his shoulders. Does Tomlin have the last word?...Yes. But Arians is in charge of playcalling, and it is his responsibility to adjust at halftime (if nothing else) if it is not going well. He does not do this, and he hasn't done it in the past. The games that go well have folks saying that he's doing fine, but I disagree. It is the situation and the variables (playing a poor team, being ahead in the score, etc...)that make it seem so. The proof is when it is needed, and at that point he falls short of the desired outcome. Repeatedly.... I am not calling (like some folks) for his immediate removal, but just simply stating that I think it is an issue that needs addressed this off-season by looking at qualified candidates. ... Just my opinion.

...I won't beat a "dead horse" anymore...

buckeyehoppy
09-27-2008, 02:05 PM
What else can ya do?.

Change his habits and actually adapt during a tough game...

...I am not "on" him for this individual game against Philly. I am "on" him because he said the same basic thing after the Jets loss last season, then the Pats* loss, then the Jags loss, and then again after the loss in the playoffs... Hey, it's great that he wants to accept responsibility, but that means nothing if he will not or can not change and adapt when we play difficult competition or are not doing well in a game... That is my issue. This team has great talent and the ability to win that is wasted at crucial times.

Now while Shawn pointed out that there were many issues in this past game, and he is absolutely correct, this is a "trend" or "character" issue of the playcalling that this team has, and it rests solely on his shoulders. Does Tomlin have the last word?...Yes. But Arians is in charge of playcalling, and it is his responsibility to adjust at halftime (if nothing else) if it is not going well. He does not do this, and he hasn't done it in the past. The games that go well have folks saying that he's doing fine, but I disagree. It is the situation and the variables (playing a poor team, being ahead in the score, etc...)that make it seem so. The proof is when it is needed, and at that point he falls short of the desired outcome. Repeatedly.... I am not calling (like some folks) for his immediate removal, but just simply stating that I think it is an issue that needs addressed this off-season by looking at qualified candidates. ... Just my opinion.

...I won't beat a "dead horse" anymore...

You make more than enough sense in what you're saying, NKy. At the moment, all he can do is take responsibility. But Tomlin needs to be taking notes this season on his OC and his OL coach. Both of these guys have been questionably successful in their tenure with the Steelers and, in the case of Arians, he suffers from Clowns disease (the affliction of being associated with the mediocre football team in Cleveland in the past).

If Arians and Zierlein aren't already under the microscope, they should be. I don't believe it is excusable for an OC to not let BB have a much larger say in the offensive playcalling. It seems evident at this point, that Arians really isn't capable of running a diverse and unpredictable offensive attack.

fordfixer
09-27-2008, 06:24 PM

Except Willie Colon he graded out okay. :wft :stirpot

Pappy
Only because he allowed less sacks than the rest of the o-line. so he got the highest grade :shock:

costanza2k1
09-27-2008, 06:53 PM
Kind of a snobby/sarcastic way of saying it was my fault. He was better off not saying anything at all. The way this reads and I've heard the audio too he's clearly not saying it was his fault. He could learn a thing or two from Ben, he takes blame even when it's not his fault. I hope somehow we turn this around, but I'm starting to not like this butthead...takes me a while to feel this way.

With that being said whatever team we put out there I have to root for, regardless. I never want a season to end as the darkness it brings sucks butt.