PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger has extensive meeting with offensive coaches

BigRob
09-24-2008, 05:01 PM
http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story ... buzz/1864/ (http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story/the-latest-nfl-buzz/1864/)

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger had an extensive meeting with his offensive coaches yesterday. Roethlisberger doesn’t believe the coaching staff and players were on the same page Sunday afternoon against the Eagles.
The Steelers rank dead last in completions to running backs. During OTA’s Insiders raved about Mewelde Moore’s ability to catch the ball out of the back field and some even compared him to Kevin Faulk. With Willie Parker sidelined it will be interesting to see if the Steelers utilize Moore in the passing game.
Rashard Mendenhall has a tough task ahead of him Monday night going up against the Ravens run defense but when given a inch of space he has shown the ability in camp to make a big play. Mendenhall is also a much better pass catcher out of the back field than Willie Parker. The Steelers need to utilize him on screen passes. I have never seen an elite team like the Steelers not being able to execute screen passes with consistency.
The Steelers are going to make Joe Flacco try to beat them. In making his third start of his young career and first on Monday night at Pittsburgh, Flacco should be in for a long day.
The Ravens have ran the ball 90 times in two games. They are averaging over 37 minutes in time of possession and will look to run ball at least 40 times Monday night
Deshea Townsend will do some running today
Browns quarterback Brady Quinn could be starting as early as Sunday. The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports Jim Brown, executive adviser with the Browns, reported after Tuesday's organizational meetings that "we all seem to be in one accord" on making the switch, but that it's up to head coach Romeo Crennel to make the final decision. Quinn has also been involved in some trade discussions lately. According to Jay Glazer of Fox Sports, the Kansas City Chiefs made an attempt to acquire Quinn and are believed to be willing to offer their first round pick in 2009 which could be the first overall pick. With Derek Anderson not looking like the real deal, it is very unlikely that the Browns will trade Quinn
Fox Sports Jay Glazer reports that Matt Millen has been removed as President and GM of the Lions. The Lions have not had a wining season since Matt Millen took over in 2001
Tennessee and Arizona have to be shaking their heads for passing on Jay Cutler a few years ago in the draft. Cutler is establishing himself as one of the leagues top 5 quarterbacks. Right now I would have him at #5.
Romo – Roethlisberger – Peyton Manning – McNabb – Cutler

Take it for what its worth. Who knows if it will make a difference with Arians as coordinator.

ikestops85
09-24-2008, 05:48 PM
Why does everyone think FWP can't catch passes? I remember in 2005 and 2006 he did well catching everything thrown to him. Now it seems they never throw him the ball and I don't know why. While I hope Mendy lives up to his college hype so far he hasn't shown he is a power runner, that he can hold on to the ball, or that he can catch the ball. Let's use Willie to his max potential while we wait for Mendy to mature as an NFL back. As Keyshawn said ... throw him the damn ball!!

BigRob
09-24-2008, 05:53 PM
Why does everyone think FWP can't catch passes? I remember in 2005 and 2006 he did well catching everything thrown to him. Now it seems they never throw him the ball and I don't know why. While I hope Mendy lives up to his college hype so far he hasn't shown he is a power runner, that he can hold on to the ball, or that he can catch the ball. Let's use Willie to his max potential while we wait for Mendy to mature as an NFL back. As Keyshawn said ... throw him the damn ball!!

Hey, now, he caught that one pass on Sunday thrown to him pretty well and got a first down with it. Lets give the kid a real chance.

NKySteeler
09-24-2008, 05:55 PM
Why does everyone think FWP can't catch passes? I remember in 2005 and 2006 he did well catching everything thrown to him.

521 yds from 59 catches over those two seasons... But that was before Arians moved from WR coach to the OC position...

stlrz d
09-24-2008, 06:59 PM

My opinion? I think people make the assumption that they don't throw him the ball because he can't catch, when in reality I believe they just don't throw the ball to running backs period.

I posted about this once on the other board and I did a search of Steelers RBs going way back. I had to go all the way to John L. Williams to find a back they really threw to with any regularity.

Much like the TEs, the Steelers just don't throw to the RBs much. :(

NorthCoast
09-24-2008, 07:08 PM
So much talent...so much waste.

What is really scary is Tomlin's comments yesterday about simplifying an already very vanilla O. We either have really stupid players or really stupid coaches...

SteelTorch
09-24-2008, 07:09 PM

My opinion? I think people make the assumption that they don't throw him the ball because he can't catch, when in reality I believe they just don't throw the ball to running backs period.

I posted about this once on the other board and I did a search of Steelers RBs going way back. I had to go all the way to John L. Williams to find a back they really threw to with any regularity.

Much like the TEs, the Steelers just don't throw to the RBs much. :(
Exactly. If that were the case, Moore or Mendy would have been catching passes by now, but they aren't. It's not that FWP can't catch, they just don't ask him to (despite what DVSONE would have you think).

Hence, another reason why Ben will continue to get planted as long as Arians is our OC.

NKySteeler
09-24-2008, 07:18 PM
So much talent...so much waste.

What is really scary is Tomlin's comments yesterday about simplifying an already very vanilla O. We either have really stupid players or really stupid coaches...

Well, many of these same players have proven in the past thier ability to run an offensive scheme more complex than this one. Sooooooooooo, that leaves ................
(at least one particular coach. On the offensive side of the ball. In charge of gameplanning...)

RuthlessBurgher
09-24-2008, 07:31 PM
According to Jay Glazer of Fox Sports, the Kansas City Chiefs made an attempt to acquire Quinn and are believed to be willing to offer their first round pick in 2009 which could be the first overall pick.

:shock:

That Chiefs pick seems to be lock for the top 5, and I think they have the inside track for #1 overall. The Browns won't trade their backup QB for that? Are you kidding me?

I think they overpaid by giving up their 2nd round pick in 2007 (36th overall) and their 1st round pick in 2008 (which turned out to be 22nd overall) to get Quinn with the 22nd overall pick in 2007. If they could turn that into the 1st overall pick in 2009, though, that would be a no-brainer.

Typically, a mid-to-late 1st rounder and an early 2nd rounder can get you to just inside the top 10, but a #1 overall pick is worth over twice that. That just shows how little faith they have in the wonder boy Derek Anderson.

:lol: :brownssuck

MeetJoeGreene
09-24-2008, 09:59 PM
I still can't help but wonder if Ben calling the O-Line protection schemes isn't part of the problem.

Steel Life
09-25-2008, 12:13 AM
I still can't help but wonder if Ben calling the O-Line protection schemes isn't part of the problem.
That could be true, but don't discount the fact that we don't have the personnel for Larry's zone-blocking philosophy.

AngryAsian
09-25-2008, 08:40 AM
Maybe my eyes are too slanted to see the plays clearly, but I rarely see plays executed by our offense that the RB is actually the primary receiving target. Gee..... how much could you stretch a defense when you have Mendy and Moore line up on either side of Ben in a shot gun formation and have either of them be the primary receivers. We have the greatest blocking WR in the league (that's not arguable, that is fact)... why not use their talents for some down the field blocks.

Oviedo
09-25-2008, 09:09 AM

IMO that is a contributing factor. He just may not be good at that.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-25-2008, 09:46 AM

IMO that is a contributing factor. He just may not be good at that.

I would think that's why you hire a half-decent QB coach, to teach skills like that.

BIG FAN
09-25-2008, 11:59 AM
Maybe my eyes are too slanted to see the plays clearly, but I rarely see plays executed by our offense that the RB is actually the primary receiving target. Gee..... how much could you stretch a defense when you have Mendy and Moore line up on either side of Ben in a shot gun formation and have either of them be the primary receivers. We have the greatest blocking WR in the league (that's not arguable, that is fact)... why not use their talents for some down the field blocks.

Definitely on the "same page" with on this, inscrutable one.

Iron Shiek
09-25-2008, 12:41 PM
According to Jay Glazer of Fox Sports, the Kansas City Chiefs made an attempt to acquire Quinn and are believed to be willing to offer their first round pick in 2009 which could be the first overall pick.

:shock:

That Chiefs pick seems to be lock for the top 5, and I think they have the inside track for #1 overall. The Browns won't trade their backup QB for that? Are you kidding me?

I think they overpaid by giving up their 2nd round pick in 2007 (36th overall) and their 1st round pick in 2008 (which turned out to be 22nd overall) to get Quinn with the 22nd overall pick in 2007. If they could turn that into the 1st overall pick in 2009, though, that would be a no-brainer.

Typically, a mid-to-late 1st rounder and an early 2nd rounder can get you to just inside the top 10, but a #1 overall pick is worth over twice that. That just shows how little faith they have in the wonder boy Derek Anderson.

:lol: :brownssuck

No teams want a top 5 pick anymore. The Chiefs just had to break the bank for a rookie and they know they are going to have to do it again. So they are trying to avoid it. Too many :?: 's with those picks. I think they are just trying to get ahead of the game because they definitely won't be able to trade it come draft time.

ikestops85
09-25-2008, 01:20 PM

I agree with the formation and the play call but once again ... why not FWP?

Hey, now, he caught that one pass on Sunday thrown to him pretty well and got a first down with it. Lets give the kid a real chance.

He also dropped an easy one where he could have gotten another first down. I think we do need to give him a chance but it will take a little bit of time before he even approaches being the type of back many here think he will be.

papillon
09-25-2008, 03:18 PM
Roethlisberger doesn’t believe the coaching staff and players were on the same page Sunday afternoon against the Eagles.

Ya think?

Pappy

NKySteeler
09-25-2008, 09:24 PM
While I love this team, the players, and MOST of the staff... One is useless...

... I found this tidbit earlier...

"It's all on me and it's over so you don't have to ask anymore players or anybody else," Arians said today after practice. "It's Bruce Arians' fault. Just spell my name right."

... Where have we heard this before?... After the Jets?... The Pats?... The Jags?...
Well, add the Eagles to the list... Nothing is going to change in this regard.

At this point, he is more of an obstacle than our schedule... Hopefully this offseason there are some decent candidates for the OC position available...

We have some stellar players, so we will win several games... But they need help.

RuthlessBurgher
09-25-2008, 09:56 PM
"It's all on me and it's over so you don't have to ask anymore players or anybody else," Arians said today after practice. "It's Bruce Arians' fault. Just spell my name right."

Okay, I guess it is Bruce Aryans fault then.

Crap. Spelled his name wrong. Sorry Bruce.

NKySteeler
09-25-2008, 10:02 PM

Okay, I guess it is Bruce Aryans fault then.

Crap. Spelled his name wrong. Sorry Bruce.

:lol: ... http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/9681/thumbsupkh0.gif

buckeyehoppy
09-27-2008, 02:50 PM
If you aren't asking the OL to hold blocks for four or five seconds while the QB drops back to pass every time they throw, then maybe you can keep the D off-balance enough to move the ball as efficiently as you'd want, right?

One would think.

I'm not so sure that Arians has a screen pass anywhere in the play book. Arians is the football equivalent to Beer League Softball Guy. He always seems like he's going for a HR and if he can't do that then it's not worth it to step to the plate.

If all your RBs are doing is running the ball and all your TEs are doing is blocking, then it won't require much work for a D to prepare for that. You can stack the line all day and bull rush the QB on damned near every play. No wonder BB is getting his clock cleaned.

Arians won't design an O that can set a D back on their heels. He doesn't seem capable of running a play where the QB can dump off a pass in a second or two out of the backfield. If you do that, then all the OL needs to do is check and release to support the downfield progress.

It is why I have taken to saying that Miller is "missing" because Arians seems incapable of incorporating him into the offense as anything more than window dressing.

I can see why opposing DCs lick their chops when they have to prepare for the Steelers because it doesn't require much imagination to defend against an offense that runs the same dozen or so plays. All they have to do is put seven in the box and if they get to BB 1 out of 3 times, then they will be monumentally successful.

If I'm Rex Ryan (or any other DC, for that matter), I'm throwing the kitchen sink at BB all day on the blitz and take the credit when my D front 7 gets to BB 15 or so times in that game. Currently, it's not that hard to do against the Steelers flaccid O game plan.