PDA

View Full Version : How to beat the Rabirds: take it slow

SteelTorch
09-24-2008, 03:26 PM
If there were any doubters that our O-line still has problems, they're pretty much non-existant now. Everyone here knows the Ravens will try to copy exactly what the Eagles did: pressuring the hell out of Big Ben. And I don't think our O-line is up to the task (yet).

So, with this in mind, the only way I can see them being able to beat the Ravens WHILE keeping BB off his back is to do exactly what we've been saying: slow things down. We're going to have to resort to the dink and dunk, the screen passes and the slants. We have RB's and TE's who can catch and receivers who can get tough yards, but we don't seem to ever do it when we need to.

That will also mean less rushing attempts, but utilizing our TE's and RB's in the passing game much more. While it will slow down our offense and reduce our big plays and scoring chances, it's the safer option. The Ravens offense is NOT good, (knocks on wood), so we will have time to score without worrying about falling behind. If we do that, we should be able to set up the running game and a better passing attack. Otherwise, Ben is a goner.

The only thing that worries me is that I just don't see Arians doing it. I see him calling rushes up the gut that go nowhere, 5 and 7 step drops, and us having to watch Ben get planted every 3 attempts. :cry:

NKySteeler
09-24-2008, 03:42 PM
If there were any doubters that our O-line still has problems, they're pretty much non-existant now...

...We have RB's and TE's who can catch and receivers who can get tough yards, but we don't seem to ever do it when we need to.

The only thing that worries me is that I just don't see Arians doing it. I see him calling rushes up the gut that go nowhere, 5 and 7 step drops, and us having to watch Ben get planted every 3 attempts. :cry:

Torch, I agree. ...Yes, our line has problems, but they had problems last year and we still made the playoffs... Yes, we have players that are underutilized. Does anyone remember the last time Miller played an active role in the gameplan?... And yes, I strongly agree that Arians is not capable of doing it. He doesn't change... At all... He didn't last year, and he won't this year... The DIFFERENCE has been our overall situation withing the various games since last fall, and the caliber of competition. We win the games we should (mostly), and lose when we should (due to the various issues)... Arians just keeps plugging along in the same old fashion without adapting the plan before or during the games. He has not changed for the various games, the variables around him did.

The issues will remain to various extents, but this team can and should win... We just won't win as many as we possibly could otherwise, IMO...

I AM NOT in favor of canning Brucie boy during the season... He is what he is, and that will not change... And replacing him during the season could make things worse... But AFTER the season, a hard look needs to be given to the possible candidates for a replacement... Until then, we all must just deal with it and enjoy the wins we get... This is still a good team, and will provide plenty of "good times" this year. ... Just not as many as possible with Arians as OC.

I think we can definitely beat Baltimore, and you spelled-out several options... So let's see what happens... It should be a very good, physical game... Hopefully the "good" Steelers show-up for this game, and get some help from the coaches...

... Just one mans' opinion, that's all... :wink: