PDA

View Full Version : Good news: Ben is healthy

fordfixer
09-24-2008, 12:48 AM
Good news: Ben is healthy
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, September 24, 2008
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 89755.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_589755.html)

The Steelers did get some good news on the injury front following their 15-6 loss to the Eagles. Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is relatively healthy even though he was sacked eight times and left last Sunday's game in the fourth quarter after getting his hand stepped on. "He's got some bumps and bruises, but we don't think it will limit him in practice (today)," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday at his weekly news conference. Along with running back Willie Parker (knee), nose tackle Casey Hampton (groin) and defensive end Brett Keisel (calf), outside linebacker Donovan Woods (hamstring) has been ruled out for the Steelers' game against the Ravens on Monday night at Heinz Field.

The Steelers will know more about starting cornerback Deshea Townsend's status for the game after today. Townsend, who has missed the last two games with a heel contusion, will try to do some running today, Tomlin said.

The Steelers signed Gary Russell to their practice squad, and there is a chance they could re-sign the second-year running back to their 53-man roster. The Steelers cut Russell last Saturday to make room on the roster for linebacker Patrick Bailey. Russell played in three games last season, and Tomlin said the Steelers may consider putting him on the regular roster since Parker is sidelined with a sprained knee.

After watching film of the Steelers' 15-6 loss to the Eagles, Tomlin said he has decided to take a back-to-basics approach to offense. The Steelers gave up nine sacks and managed just 180 yards in their first loss of the season. They were never able to successfully counter an Eagles defense that blitzed relentlessly. "You need to improve the quality of your work, and the way you do that when you're not on the screws is, initially, a reduction in what you do to make sure everybody's sharp and on the same page," Tomlin said. "There is going to be a little bit of that." Tomlin said simplifying the offense is only a short-term solution. But for now, he said, "You reduce, you sharpen, you get everybody on the same page."

Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau can be hard on rookie quarterbacks, as Joe Flacco may find out Monday night. Tomlin, however, would not be baited into saying that LeBeau's attacking, complex scheme will give Flacco fits. "I'm not going to make any Joey Porter comments in regard to that," Tomlin said. Porter, the former Steelers linebacker, successfully predicted the Dolphins' defense would have its way with Patriots quarterback Matt Cassel. Porter backed up his words by sacking Cassel three times in the Dolphins' 38-13 win over the Patriots on Sunday. Cassel was making his second career NFL start; Flacco will make his third NFL start against the Steelers.

Digits

89.1 -- Rushing yards per game that the Ravens have allowed since 2000.

89.5 -- Rushing yards per game that the Steelers have allowed since 2000.

161.5 -- Yards per game the Ravens have allowed, the fewest in the NFL.

234 -- Yards per game the Steelers have allowed, second-fewest in the NFL.

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

AngryAsian
09-24-2008, 03:28 AM
I didn't want to travel all that way to watch Lefty. I'm glad Ben is healthy and ready to feast on some Ratbird butt.

rpmpit
09-24-2008, 07:22 AM
I didn't want to travel all that way to watch Lefty. I'm glad Ben is healthy and ready to feast on some Ratbird butt.

I was thinking the same thing Sunday night. Very good news!!