PDA

View Full Version : What about it: Lane Kiffin

BigBen2112
09-22-2008, 10:28 PM
What would you guys think of bringing in Lane Kiffin mid-season if he is fired by Oakland, which it appears he will be, to be offensive coordinator?!

I saw this posed on PittLive and thought it was an interesting discussion we could have over here.

He certainly would be better than Arians.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-22-2008, 10:34 PM
What would you guys think of bringing in Lane Kiffin mid-season if he is fired by Oakland, which it appears he will be, to be offensive coordinator?!

I saw this posed on PittLive and thought it was an interesting discussion we could have over here.

He certainly would be better than Arians.

I'm jiggly with that. But like they said on that thread, he seems like someone who would not thrive in the Pgh weather.

How about Bill Cowher?
:wink:

That would make Ben's day, huh?

SteelTorch
09-23-2008, 12:37 AM
I'm jiggly with that. But like they said on that thread, he seems like someone who would not thrive in the Pgh weather.

How about Bill Cowher?
:wink:

That would make Ben's day, huh?
Yeah, that'd be nice. Then we'd have a dominating team during regular season only to choke in the playoffs. 8)

AngryAsian
09-23-2008, 01:08 AM
We brought in a FA (Moore) RB with a pass catching skillset. We drafted (in the first round) a bruising RB with soft hands, that made significant plays in his collegiate tenure, by catching ball out of the backfield. Both could of aided in helping take the bite of their pass rush yesterday.... both weren't used. I just don't get it..... We don't really use the FA market to help better our team, so that leaves us the draft. But yet, the number 1 pick doesn't see action until the game is out of reach.... and the number 2 pick wasn't even activated for the game. How have we fixed our woes from last year. The plays and schemes aren't any different from last year....

What has changed? Nothing. Teams just know what type of offense we run just a little better. I'm trying to stay positive, but I can't see how the FO could let this continue to happen and not do anything about it. If we have another game like this, Ben will be in the hospital.

Noteworthy.... talk about innovation. Look what the Dolphins did yesterday by thinking out of the box. One alignment.... 5 possible options and four touchdowns yielded...FROM THE SAME FORMATION!!!! Could not be stopped by the Cheats*. We need to have a coordinator that thinks out of the box and can make in-game adjustments.

fordfixer
09-23-2008, 01:12 AM
We brought in a FA (Moore) RB with a pass catching skillset. We drafted (in the first round) a bruising RB with soft hands, that made significant plays in his collegiate tenure, by catching ball out of the backfield. Both could of aided in helping take the bite of their pass rush yesterday.... both weren't used. I just don't get it..... We don't really use the FA market to help better our team, so that leaves us the draft. But yet, the number 1 pick doesn't see action until the game is out of reach.... and the number 2 pick wasn't even activated for the game. How have we fixed our woes from last year. The plays and schemes aren't any different from last year....

What has changed? Nothing. Teams just know what type of offense we run just a little better. I'm trying to stay positive, but I can't see how the FO could let this continue to happen and not do anything about it. If we have another game like this, Ben will be in the hospital.

Noteworthy.... talk about innovation. Look what the Dolphins did yesterday by thinking out of the box. One alignment.... 5 possible options and four touchdowns yielded...FROM THE SAME FORMATION!!!! Could not be stopped by the Cheats*. We need to have a coordinator that thinks out of the box and can make in-game adjustments.

That would be a nice start

Shawn
09-23-2008, 02:28 AM
So we should bring in a new OC...to change our O...midseason...hmm. I don't think so. After the season...might be worth a look.

BigBen2112
09-23-2008, 10:17 AM
So we should bring in a new OC...to change our O...midseason...hmm. I don't think so. After the season...might be worth a look.

No, what I would do is bring in Kiffin and have him use the CURRENT offensive scheme but CALL THE GAME differently and adapt differently...and then next year he could put in his own scheme.

Things aren't going to change with Arians. Bring in someone else who could at least change things when things aren't working.

steelblood
09-23-2008, 10:29 AM
Kiffin's playcalling hasn't impressed me this year.

RuthlessBurgher
09-23-2008, 01:30 PM
Kiffin's playcalling hasn't impressed me this year.

Does Kiffin even call the plays in Oakland? Isn't that was offensive coordinator Greg Knapp is for? (I don't know how the Raiders dole out these responsibilities...I'm asking)

And didn't Steve Sarkisian handle the play-calling when Kiffin was at USC?

Shawn
09-23-2008, 03:20 PM

No, what I would do is bring in Kiffin and have him use the CURRENT offensive scheme but CALL THE GAME differently and adapt differently...and then next year he could put in his own scheme.

Things aren't going to change with Arians. Bring in someone else who could at least change things when things aren't working.

There has to be a certain familiarity to the playbook...which is HUGE. There would be a serious learning curve. Firing OC's mid season is for ball clubs that suck. Are you saying the Steelers suck?

costanza2k1
09-23-2008, 03:27 PM

There has to be a certain familiarity to the playbook...which is HUGE. There would be a serious learning curve. Firing OC's mid season is for ball clubs that suck. Are you saying the Steelers suck?

I agree flushing the toilet is not an option with the 4th game of the season coming up. That's something for the offseason and guess what if it doesn't happen, we can all complain about it but we have to remember we're not employed in the FO or as coaches...just fans. Movin' on to the Ravens! Didn't Bart Scott say he was going to kill Hines? Should be a brutal defensive battle.