PDA

View Full Version : Hampton out with groin injury

fordfixer
09-22-2008, 01:48 AM
Hampton out with groin injury
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, September 22, 2008
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 89429.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_589429.html)

Casey Hampton left Sunday's game with a groin injury, and coach Mike Tomlin said after the Steelers' 15-6 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles that the veteran nose tackle could miss some time because of it. Tomlin said the Steelers will know more about Hampton after evaluating him today.

Bryant McFadden started in place of Deshea Townsend (heel contusion) for the second consecutive week at cornerback, and Travis Kirschke started for Brett Keisel (calf strain) at right defensive end. McFadden picked off his second pass of the season in the second quarter and it led to a 53-yard Jeff Reed field goal. He also recovered a fumble in the first half. Kirschke had a team-high seven tackles, along with James Farrior. He also was credited with half a sack.

The Steelers weren't happy about the call that led to an Eagles' safety in the fourth quarter. Officials awarded the Eagles two points after they ruled that Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, under a heavy rush in the end zone, threw a pass where he didn't have an eligible receiver. The Steelers argued that a safety shouldn't have been called because running back Mewelde Moore was in the area.

A day after the Steelers signed rookie linebacker Patrick Bailey from the practice squad to their 53-man roster, the undrafted free agent dressed for his first NFL game. Also on the inactive list were wide receiver Limas Sweed, offensive tackles Trai Essex and Tony Hills, outside linebacker Bruce Davis and Dennis Dixon (third quarterback).

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

AkronSteel
09-22-2008, 01:56 AM
I don't know how much this really hurts the team!! Hoke has always stepped in and played well when called upon. I honestly think the DL will be better this year w/o Keisel and Hampton than it was last year w/o Aaron. AS is the glue that holds that front three together.

RuthlessBurgher
09-22-2008, 02:14 AM
I don't know how much this really hurts the team!! Hoke has always stepped in and played well when called upon. I honestly think the DL will be better this year w/o Keisel and Hampton than it was last year w/o Aaron. AS is the glue that holds that front three together.

I disagree. Without the Diesel and Big Snack, we are perilously thin along the d-line. If you have Smith, Hoke, and Kirschke starting, then you only have Eason and Roye to back them up. We will need to bring in somebody to back up Hoke if Hampton cannot go.

AkronSteel
09-22-2008, 02:40 AM

I disagree. Without the Diesel and Big Snack, we are perilously thin along the d-line. If you have Smith, Hoke, and Kirschke starting, then you only have Eason and Roye to back them up. We will need to bring in somebody to back up Hoke if Hampton cannot go.

I hear what you're saying about the depth Ruthless, I agree, I think I should have clarified my point a little better! I think that our starters will be able to hold up better with a starting line of Aaron-Chris-Travis compared to last year with Travis-Casey-Brett, just my opinion. I'm sure that if Big Snack is out for an extended period of time then we will bring in someone to add depth to the position. I would expect that with a groin and his size and conditioning that he will be out a minimum of 2-4 weeks.

BigBen2112
09-22-2008, 07:30 AM
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 89429.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_589429.html)

Casey Hampton left Sunday's game with a groin injury, and coach Mike Tomlin said after the Steelers' 15-6 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles that the veteran nose tackle could miss some time because of it. Tomlin said the Steelers will know more about Hampton after evaluating him today.

Bryant McFadden started in place of Deshea Townsend (heel contusion) for the second consecutive week at cornerback, and Travis Kirschke started for Brett Keisel (calf strain) at right defensive end. McFadden picked off his second pass of the season in the second quarter and it led to a 53-yard Jeff Reed field goal. He also recovered a fumble in the first half. Kirschke had a team-high seven tackles, along with James Farrior. He also was credited with half a sack.

The Steelers weren't happy about the call that led to an Eagles' safety in the fourth quarter. Officials awarded the Eagles two points after they ruled that Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, under a heavy rush in the end zone, threw a pass where he didn't have an eligible receiver. The Steelers argued that a safety shouldn't have been called because running back Mewelde Moore was in the area.

A day after the Steelers signed rookie linebacker Patrick Bailey from the practice squad to their 53-man roster, the undrafted free agent dressed for his first NFL game. Also on the inactive list were wide receiver Limas Sweed, offensive tackles Trai Essex and Tony Hills, outside linebacker Bruce Davis and Dennis Dixon (third quarterback).

Amazing...many people were ridiculed throughout the offseason for various opinions...and look what is coming to fruition?

The OL sucks-- as was noted and nothing done about it
The DL lacks any real depth and will be a huge issue with any injury-- oh look.

Oh and just as another thought: CASEY MAYBE THIS SH*T WOULDN'T HAPPEN IF YOU WERE ACTUALLY IN SHAPE!

I'm done with Hampton. He makes jokes about it...writes it off...says things like "well like I said games dont start in July"...well yeah but you are fat, lazy, and owe it to your team to be in shape.

Again this offseason plan has GOT to be:
1. Fire Arians
2. Fire Zierlein
3. Draft 3 OL
4. Draft 3 DL

This team has talent all over the place, but the lack of power in the trenches is what is going to continue to hold us back. That is completely unacceptable when you think about the IDENTITY of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

papillon
09-22-2008, 08:29 AM
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW

Amazing...many people were ridiculed throughout the offseason for various opinions...and look what is coming to fruition?

Oh and just as another thought: CASEY MAYBE THIS SH*T WOULDN'T HAPPEN IF YOU WERE ACTUALLY IN SHAPE!

I'm done with Hampton. He makes jokes about it...writes it off...says things like "well like I said games dont start in July"...well yeah but you are fat, lazy, and owe it to your team to be in shape.

1. Fire Arians
2. Fire Zierlein
3. Draft 3 OL
4. Draft 3 DL

This team has talent all over the place, but the lack of power in the trenches is what is going to continue to hold us back. That is completely unacceptable when you think about the IDENTITY of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

They can't draft these players, Ben is in his prime and putting rookies in at LT and anywhere else along the offensive line will certainly waste precious years of Ben's prime. The Steelers are going to have to pony money for FAs IMHO, to provider some veteran performance and bring in the rooks slowly. If Ben is going to get rocked this year with Smith, Simmons, Hartwig all veterans and you replace 1 or all with rookies Ben will be in the infirmary.

The Steelers are going to have to pony up some cash to protect their 100 million dollar investment sooner than later.

Pappy

Ghost
09-22-2008, 08:32 AM

How does a free agent LB, just signed from the PS start ahead of your 3rd round draft choice? Davis should at the very least be able to dress and play on special teams or he was a reach at 3.

Choices 2, 3 and 4 - not even dressing.

Jooser
09-22-2008, 08:38 AM
Well, after the draft Tomlin rationalized picking a RB and WR @ 1 and 2 by saying the strategy was to surround Ben with weapons. Well how did that pan out yesterday? RM wasn't in until things were pretty much over and Limas Sweed was inactive. This is not helping Ben out AT ALL. We coulda maybe used the #2 pick for OL. ....just sayin'.

RuthlessBurgher
09-22-2008, 09:22 AM
Well, after the draft Tomlin rationalized picking a RB and WR @ 1 and 2 by saying the strategy was to surround Ben with weapons. Well how did that pan out yesterday? RM wasn't in until things were pretty much over and Limas Sweed was inactive. This is not helping Ben out AT ALL. We coulda maybe used the #2 pick for OL. ....just sayin'.

What o-lineman would you have preferred with our 2nd round pick? Between our 22nd pick of the 2nd round (#53 overall) where we took Sweed and the 25th pick of the 3rd round (#88 overall) where we took Bruce Davis, there were exactly 3 o-linemen taken. Center Mike Pollak went to the Colts with the 28th pick of the 2nd round (#59 overall), tackle John Greco went to the Rams with the 2nd pick of the 3rd round (#65 overall), and guard Jeremy Zuttah went to the Bucs with the 20th pick of the 3rd round (#83 overall). I am on record as saying that we should have taken tackle Anthony Collins in the 3rd round instead of Bruce Davis (and this isn't 20-20 hindsight...I was saying this in the middle of the actual draft in April), but there is no way we should have taken Pollak, Greco, or Zuttah instead of Sweed in round 2.

Steelhere10
09-22-2008, 09:56 AM
it's time to part ways with FAT BOY!!!

stlrz d
09-22-2008, 10:03 AM

Have you ever looked around the league at the other NTs in the 3-4? They are all very large men...they have to be.

Steelhere10
09-22-2008, 12:32 PM

Have you ever looked around the league at the other NTs in the 3-4? They are all very large men...they have to be.i agree they have to be fat, but Hamp only make 2 good plays a game as of the last 2 years. even an over weight Rodgers was the best NT on the field last week.

RuthlessBurgher
09-22-2008, 01:19 PM

Have you ever looked around the league at the other NTs in the 3-4? They are all very large men...they have to be.i agree they have to be fat, but Hamp only make 2 good plays a game as of the last 2 years. even an over weight Rodgers was the best NT on the field last week.

The NT in a 3-4 isn't supposed to make a whole lot of plays. He is supposed to eat up multiple blockers (just like he seemingly eats up everything else in the offseason :wink: ) so that the LB's are freed up to make the plays. The fact that our LB's look so good is also a testament to the big fella clearing the some of the path in front of them.

NorthCoast
09-22-2008, 11:34 PM
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW

1. Fire Arians
2. Fire Zierlein
3. Draft 3 OL
4. Draft 3 DL

They can't draft these players, Ben is in his prime and putting rookies in at LT and anywhere else along the offensive line will certainly waste precious years of Ben's prime. The Steelers are going to have to pony money for FAs IMHO, to provider some veteran performance and bring in the rooks slowly. If Ben is going to get rocked this year with Smith, Simmons, Hartwig all veterans and you replace 1 or all with rookies Ben will be in the infirmary.

The Steelers are going to have to pony up some cash to protect their 100 million dollar investment sooner than later.

Pappy

Clowns drafted some guy named Joe Thomas who started as a rookie and seems to be doing just fine. A lot of college OL are better prepared to play Pro-style offenses when they come out.

steelblood
09-23-2008, 10:24 AM
It is truly pathetic that we had to sign patrick bailey from the PS to replace donovan woods while bruce davis remains inactive. It is a terrible sign that the STeelers have no faith in Davis' special teams abilities.

BigBen2112
09-23-2008, 10:37 AM
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW

1. Fire Arians
2. Fire Zierlein
3. Draft 3 OL
4. Draft 3 DL

Pappy

Clowns drafted some guy named Joe Thomas who started as a rookie and seems to be doing just fine. A lot of college OL are better prepared to play Pro-style offenses when they come out.

And hell even Duane Brown who has been not so great with Houston has given up LESS sacks than Willie Colon! I believe Brown has given up 3 and Colon has given up 3.5-4 sacks.

RuthlessBurgher
09-23-2008, 01:45 PM
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW

1. Fire Arians
2. Fire Zierlein
3. Draft 3 OL
4. Draft 3 DL

Pappy

And hell even Duane Brown who has been not so great with Houston has given up LESS sacks than Willie Colon! I believe Brown has given up 3 and Colon has given up 3.5-4 sacks.

It was easy for Duane Brown to give up no sacks during week 2, since that game was postponed.