PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin explains going for it on 4th down

Steelhere10
09-22-2008, 12:48 AM
On whether he considered kicking a field goal on the last fourth down:
“Absolutely not. We did not move the ball consistently enough to say that had we kicked a field goal and got an onside kick that we could get down there again. We were down there, we were going to take our shots and had we gotten in the end zone, we would kick an onside and attempted to get a first down or two and put ourselves in field goal position. But under the circumstances, based on what had happened to that point tonight, no way I’m kicking a field goal right there. We are trying to score while we’re down there.”

AkronSteel
09-22-2008, 12:51 AM
I agree with him!!! I think that we needed to take our shots and not settle for anything!!! This just shows the difference between our coach and the coach we faced last week!!! I will take Tomlin anytime!!

sd steel
09-22-2008, 12:56 AM
I agree with him!!! I think that we needed to take our shots and not settle for anything!!! This just shows the difference between our coach and the coach we faced last week!!! I will take Tomlin anytime!!

I agree! :Agree

Steelhere10
09-22-2008, 01:15 AM
I agree with him!!! I think that we needed to take our shots and not settle for anything!!! This just shows the difference between our coach and the coach we faced last week!!! I will take Tomlin anytime!!if he don't replace Colon at right tackle , i will begin to lose faith in his ability. no one can tell me Trai Essex is not better than Colon. or Max Starks for that matter. i was reading a article and Colon gave up 2 and half sacks and allowed pressure 4 more times . sad so sad

Djfan
09-22-2008, 01:34 AM
He made the right choice.

fordfixer
09-22-2008, 01:40 AM
He made the right choice.
:Agree

SteelerOfDeVille
09-22-2008, 01:51 AM
TOTALLY disagree. You always give your team a chance... kick the FG... who knows if you bust one later. You already need a lot of things to go right when you need 2 scores with that little time left - don't kill your chance there... Kick the FG and live to play another down... maybe you don't get the onside anyway and the point is moot... but, don't give yourself one more road block.

Heck, coulda been a 50 yard hail mary... but, you can't have that chance if you don't kick it.

Djfan
09-22-2008, 02:28 AM
He wasn't two scores down. He was a TD with a 2pc away from a tie, and about :48 seconds away from the final whistle.

Flasteel
09-22-2008, 06:36 AM
He wasn't two scores down. He was a TD with a 2pc away from a tie, and about :48 seconds away from the final whistle.

You need to check your math DJ. 15-6 is a nine point difference brother. I thought it was a stupid decision to go for it. Again, just like the Crennel call last week, it's about percentages. A 4th and 10 call followed by an onside kick recovery are two very low percentage plays that you'd be asking to convert nearly back to back. Kick the easy FG, and give yourself a chance with an onside kick and nearly a full minute to work with against the prevent defense.

Mel Blount's G
09-22-2008, 07:15 AM
Disagree w/ MT. Coaching mistake and a horrible message sent to his team:

The fg was a gimmee for skippy. 4th and 10 was not. His justification for not kicking the fg was that after the fg his team could not and would not move the ball even if they did get the onside kick. Anyone who agrees with this had also given up on our team. Based on our game performance he was right that it was unlikely but I lose respect for a coach that throws in the towel on his team before the game is over. That's gotta help yer offense's confidence when your coach gives up on you. If he wants to think like that - then why bother even onside kicking it when our special teams coverage generally suck @zz :roll:

Maybe he WAS yelling at arians there, "FVCK YOU coach! Why should I believe you'll move the ball w/ this pathetic offense even if we DO get the onside kick!?!?"

BigBen2112
09-22-2008, 08:11 AM
I agree with the decision...BUT:

I disagree with the playcalling that whole series of downs. If you are going to go for it on 4th down and you know it then at least give yourself a shot...4-10 with that defense coming at you and sir zippy back there at QB? Give me a break.

The decision was good...but the playcalling, like all game long, sucked.

Oh and genius Washington should have gotten out of bounds a couple of plays earlier and given us a chance as well. Moron.

papillon
09-22-2008, 08:31 AM
TOTALLY disagree. You always give your team a chance... kick the FG... who knows if you bust one later. You already need a lot of things to go right when you need 2 scores with that little time left - don't kill your chance there... Kick the FG and live to play another down... maybe you don't get the onside anyway and the point is moot... but, don't give yourself one more road block.

Heck, coulda been a 50 yard hail mary... but, you can't have that chance if you don't kick it.

Pappy

stlrz d
09-22-2008, 08:46 AM

Pappy

Ditto. They should have kicked it and lived to fight again.

Jooser
09-22-2008, 09:49 AM
Anyone think there shoulda been an interference call on Samuels for that pass play to Washington in the endzone? He had two hands on him and NEVER turned for the ball. The first was a push, the second he grabbed his arm. I don't know, that looked like interference to me. The initial contact was there before the ball. Things coulda got really interesting if that flag had been thrown.

RuthlessBurgher
09-22-2008, 10:02 AM
Anyone think there shoulda been an interference call on Samuels for that pass play to Washington in the endzone? He had two hands on him and NEVER turned for the ball. The first was a push, the second he grabbed his arm. I don't know, that looked like interference to me. The initial contact was there before the ball. Things coulda got really interesting if that flag had been thrown.

Nate had to attempt a one-handed catch because Samuels hit his other hand before the ball got there, all without even turning his head slightly to make it appear as though he was going for the ball too.

LasVegasGuy
09-22-2008, 11:48 AM
Tomlin is basically making excuses for a very, very stupid coaching decision and he knows it. He needed to kick the field goal because it was 4th and 10. In his very own statement he said we were having trouble moving the ball. If you are having trouble moving the ball what did you expect was going to happen on 4th and 10? He should have kicked the "chip shot" been down by 6 and take your chances with an onside kick and possible hail mary.

Right now I hear Crennel laughing his a s s off. With this offensive line, offensive coordinator, offensive line coach and head coach this could be the beggining of the end for the Steelers. We may be on our way to 6-10 guys.

RuthlessBurgher
09-22-2008, 12:08 PM
Tomlin is basically making excuses for a very, very stupid coaching decision and he knows it. He needed to kick the field goal because it was 4th and 10. In his very own statement he said we were having trouble moving the ball. If you are having trouble moving the ball what did you expect was going to happen on 4th and 10? He should have kicked the "chip shot" been down by 6 and take your chances with an onside kick and possible hail mary.

Right now I hear Crennel laughing his a s s off. With this offensive line, offensive coordinator, offensive line coach and head coach this could be the beggining of the end for the Steelers. We may be on our way to 6-10 guys.

Crennel is 0-3 with a team in complete dissarray. He should not be laughing at anyone.

There is a big difference between Crennel kicking a FG down 21 points in the 4th, or kicking a FG in a one-score game with 3 minutes to go.

While I think having Reed kick the FG at 4th and 10 was the better option, it was not indefensible stupidity like Romeo's in weeks 1 and 2. The fact is, that we needed both a FG and a TD, and the order in which they came was irrelevant. You can't compare that to Crennel deciding to kick useless FG's.

pfelix73
09-22-2008, 12:14 PM
Yes. 100% you kick the FG in that situation. You have to give your team the chance to at least try and win the game. You are kicking an on-sides kick anyway, and at least you want to be in that situation. If it were 4 and 1 then maybe, but even then you kick the FG.

Steeler Mafia
09-22-2008, 03:05 PM
Going for it on 4th and 10, when you needed two scores is a bonehead coaching decision. They should have kicked the ball, get the points, and tried for an onside kick. That would have saved enough time on the clock to try to go for the endzone if the ball is recovered. However, I don't entirely blame Coach Tomlin for making this call. Bruce (aka Big Putzy) Arians lead him to this with his crappy mongoloid offensive playcalling. Arians is a retarded a$$ clown that should be selling produce on Rt 50 in West Virginia. I hate his style of playcalling. It cost us games last season and now it is starting to cost us again this season. I can't believe that Colbert would think that getting an old OC from the Cleveland Browns is a good investment. If Tomlin does only two things in the next off season, I hope they would be to fire Arians sorry a$$ and invest in the OL. As for Colbert, I hope he is seen for what he truely is to this organization.....a cancer.

Someone in this organization has to see what is happening here and do something rather than let this continue. Give old man Rooney an adrenaline shot and have him set fire to the FO. Unfortunately, this won't happen. Arians will be with us for a long time because everyone on the sidelines and in the FO are snowed from this guy's blind luck last year. :Hater :HeadBanger

Steeler Mafia
09-22-2008, 03:09 PM
For the record. I didn't agree with having Arians as our OC when he was named into the position last year. This has got to be the dumbest FO move ever to be made in Steelers history.

Cheap a$$ old decrepid Rooney. Spend some of those piles of cash onhand and get a product that has a chance to succeed. Happy mediocracy, Steelers! You are shooting yourselves in the foot.

proudpittsburgher
09-23-2008, 10:02 AM
Lemme start by saying I was a big BC supporter, but I also like what MT brings to the table, so I am not out to bash MT in any way. However, it was the wrong decision. I like how MT stands behind his calls, but his arguing with the coach on the sideline and his saying after the fact that he would go for it on fourth down again (essentually) was the wrong play to make. Look, even if Lefty completed the pass on fourth down and they got the first, they still have to get into the end zone, and there was less than a minute left. Who's to say they wouldn't have gotten in and NOT had any time left for an onside recovery and an offensive play. I believe a timeout was called late in that drive, where MT should have prepared himself for the situation. Personally, I would have considered kicking a field goal earlier in the drive to save time, but it would have been 45+ yards and less makable. There is no question, I don't care how you rationalize it, that you rush the kicker out on fourth and 10 and , most importantly, put your team in position to win the game with an onside recovers and a long hail mary.
This all being said, I am not going to bash MT and say that he sucks as coach. He made a bad decision here and I just wish he would own up to it.