PDA

View Full Version : No Field Goal attempt?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-21-2008, 09:39 PM
Can anyone explain any benefit of going for it on 4th down at the end of the game?

I thought a field goal followed by an onside kick would be the way to go.

Iron Shiek
09-21-2008, 09:42 PM
Can anyone explain any benefit of going for it on 4th down at the end of the game?

I thought a field goal followed by an onside kick would be the way to go.

I agree with someone in one of the other threads that whoever Tomlin was chewing out (it looked like a few people over in a general area) was probably at fault for that. Maybe the FG team wasn't ready...with no timeouts you gotta just go for it i suppose. It made sense to kick though...you need two scores. (unlike the stains who kick when they needed 3 tds)

Mel Blount's G
09-21-2008, 10:03 PM
Apparently in post game comments tomlin defended his call on this (according to someone on the trib board who said he was listening to it).

It was 4th and 10 w/ no to's from philly's 22 yard line

SteelTorch
09-21-2008, 10:43 PM
And if Tomlin had kicked the field goal, I'm sure people would be calling him out and wondering why he didn't go for the TD when we needed two scores. :)

Mel Blount's G
09-21-2008, 11:10 PM
And if Tomlin had kicked the field goal, I'm sure people would be calling him out and wondering why he didn't go for the TD when we needed two scores. :)
I wouldn't have. We need 9 points to tie. A fg AND a td were needed, regardless of what order they came in. We were in a position to get the fg (on the iggles 22 yard line) but we were NOT in much of a position to get the td (4th and 10 w/ no to's). Either way it was totally dependent on successfully executing an onside kick after the fg OR the td

papillon
09-22-2008, 08:22 AM
Should have kicked the field to extend the game. Hoping to convert a 4th and ten and then recovering an onside kick are two low probability plays. The field goal is a high probability play and keeps the Eagles playing honest for another play at least.

Pappy

proudpittsburgher
09-23-2008, 11:35 AM
Not only what Pappy said, but there was very little time left on the clock. So you get the first down . . . then what? You still have to get it in the end zone, and you are going to waste time doing that. AtIf you don't get it in the end zone on the first try, you almost have no time left for the onside kick/recovery/hail mary. Bad decision, and I believe it was MT's. I think the chewing out was a result of said coach saying, "why the F are you not sending out the field goal unit?"