PDA

View Full Version : Start Leftwich!

Shawn
09-21-2008, 07:41 PM
It's obvious that with Ben's shoulder hurting and possible hand injury that Leftwich should be the starter. I mean our season is basically over after this game...I would assume our OL will give up at least 140+ sacks this season. Why not let Ben sit...get some rest...keep him fresh...and let Leftwich be the tackling dumbie?

Discuss.

AngryAsian
09-21-2008, 07:43 PM
With our line? Are you joking. We need someone with mobility and not hampered by the slowest wind up in the modern NFL. I'd rather see Dixon back there, look at the success Ryan has been having in Atlanta. If we needed to give Ben's shoulder a rest.... my money would be on Dennis Dixon.

BigBen2112
09-21-2008, 07:45 PM
It's obvious that with Ben's shoulder hurting and possible hand injury that Leftwich should be the starter. I mean our season is basically over after this game...I would assume our OL will give up at least 140+ sacks this season. Why not let Ben sit...get some rest...keep him fresh...and let Leftwich be the tackling dumbie?

Discuss.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I dont think our team is DONE...but I do think that if this continues this team is going to struggle and Ben might just get killed.

Our OL is disgusting and the OC has proven in a year+ to not be able to change and adapt.

Those are the facts. He+Zierlein should be fired.

We beat Ravens and we're on top in the division...but with that D vs. this incapable OL we could be in big trouble!

RussBII
09-21-2008, 07:45 PM

Discuss.

Leftwich might actually die behind that line with that play calling. Ben got sacked how many times? And he's one of the best in the league at avoiding the sack and extending a play. Leftwich is essentially a tree w/ a souped up JUGS machine attached to it.

Shawn
09-21-2008, 07:46 PM
With our line? Are you joking. We need someone with mobility and not hampered by the slowest wind up in the modern NFL. I'd rather see Dixon back there, look at the success Ryan has been having in Atlanta. If we needed to give Ben's shoulder a rest.... my money would be on Dennis Dixon.

So, I guess I was convincing. :lol:

I just kinda missed the chicken little stuff that would go on at the Trib after a horrific game like this. Guess it would have been funnier tommorow. :? :D

AngryAsian
09-21-2008, 07:47 PM

I just kinda missed the chicken little stuff that would go on at the Trib after a horrific game like this. Guess it would have been funnier tommorow. :? :D

LMAO. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Les 74
09-21-2008, 07:48 PM

Then you should hurry up and get over there.Place is in meltdown mode. :lol:

Flasteel
09-21-2008, 07:55 PM

He's obviously joking, but the biggest jokes of all are that offensive line and Bruce Arians. I'm sure somewhere deep down, Rick feels a certain satisfaction after this game and that's a shame. I've said all along however that our pass protection is not improved and that we had so far compensated by great play calling and running the ball. Well, we should have known that with Philly only giving up 2.6 yards per rush going in, that the key would be keeping Ben clean...we failed miserably. Second worst protection I've seen in at least the last 5 years (Baltimore '06).

Arians was back to his familiar disgrace as an OC. It was so obvious early on that we needed to go three-step drop the whole way and mix in some no huddle, screens, and draws. I saw only a relative few quick passing plays (most were successful) and no screens, draws, or no huddle. The only worse performance than our protection was that of Arians.

As bad as our defense played for the first quarter and a half, they shut down Philly for the better part of the last two and a half quarters. The lone difference in this game was their unbelievable pass rush combined with our inept protection and play-calling.

Has anyone heard anything about Ben's hand?

BigBen2112
09-21-2008, 07:57 PM

He's obviously joking, but the biggest jokes of all are that offensive line and Bruce Arians. I'm sure somewhere deep down, Rick feels a certain satisfaction after this game and that's a shame. I've said all along however that our pass protection is not improved and that we had so far compensated by great play calling and running the ball. Well, we should have known that with Philly only giving up 2.6 yards per rush going in, that the key would be keeping Ben clean...we failed miserably. Second worst protection I've seen in at least the last 5 years (Baltimore '06).

Arians was back to his familiar disgrace as an OC. It was so obvious early on that we needed to go three-step drop the whole way and mix in some no huddle, screens, and draws. I saw only a relative few quick passing plays (most were successful) and no screens, draws, or no huddle. The only worse performance than our protection was that of Arians.

As bad as our defense played for the first quarter and a half, they shut down Philly for the better part of the last two and a half quarters. The lone difference in this game was their unbelievable pass rush combined with our inept protection and play-calling.

Has anyone heard anything about Ben's hand?

Not heard anything about his hand, but I know that if I were him with this OC and this OL I would WANT to sit out.

DukieBoy
09-21-2008, 08:24 PM

He's obviously joking, but the biggest jokes of all are that offensive line and Bruce Arians. Arians was back to his familiar disgrace as an OC. It was so obvious early on that we needed to go three-step drop the whole way and mix in some no huddle, screens, and draws. I saw only a relative few quick passing plays (most were successful) and no screens, draws, or no huddle. The only worse performance than our protection was that of Arians.

Arians owes his very survival in his job to Ben (and other talented weapons, and the D), whose unique creative abilities usually overcome Arians' deficits and make Arians look good when he is not. But against stonger D's and top-shelf coaching, Arians is exposed repeatedly and consistently.

birtikidis
09-21-2008, 08:28 PM
If ben is out for any length of time, then i would say def. start leftwich. I like dixon and think he'll be alright but with how good our defense is we'll still be a force. I know shawn was joking, but if ben broke his hand, then we def. need to have a strategy in place.

i really can't believe how terrible we looked today though.

SteelStallion
09-21-2008, 08:42 PM

Discuss.

I'm sure Steeler fans everywhere have this same sentiment. I'm so afraid for Ben's life and career that I'd gladly concede a few games (like Jacksonville) just to preserve him. I've never seen such a bad o-line performance at any level- ever. And with two additional blocking TEs and RBs- just terrible. And from an Eagle defense that just six days ago scored zero sacks against Dallas- I just don't know what else to say. And it looked so promising after the first two games- I have to quit thinking about it for a while. :HeadBanger

NKySteeler
09-21-2008, 09:11 PM
http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/2889/c0f71dc67dif1.jpg

papillon
09-21-2008, 10:15 PM

Discuss.

The sky is falling, the sky is falling...http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk205/4papillon7/Disney-Chicken-Little.jpg

:moon

Pappy

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
09-23-2008, 08:30 AM
Although I don't have much positive things to say about the OL...I am very critical about the coaching and perhaps Ben's play. I don't know who to hang it on since I'm not on the sideline but someone is to blame. There is no way a QB doesn't have a hot route when it is 3rd & long and the defense has man coverage with no safety. 8 in the box on 3rd & long and all WRs have their backs to the QB for the first 10 yards. I want to hang that on Ben but I don't know. Maybe he thought he could get enough time for a big play to open up. He has to learn to get rid of the ball and take what is there. There were many plays they could have ran to back up the Safeties. I think I saw 2 slants. Now, the OL was terrible. The majority of it was missed assignments. Most of that is because Johnson put together a good gameplan...Hat's off to them. A "kick in the ball$" to Arians for not adjusting. Colon got beat once where he looked confused who he was supposed to block. Simmons just got beat 1 on 1 many plays. Hartwig still looks solid and really looks good on the 2nd level. Kemo didn't get beat much 1 on 1 but it looked like he...Like everyone else...Did miss assignments. Smith is better than last year but could still improve. One thing I will say. If Simmons doesn't improve a change needs to be made. They need to put the best 5 on the field. I think it is time to kick Colon down to RG and put Starks at RT. From what I have seen over the first three games...This move would be an even trade off with "AT LEAST" the potential for improvement. I don't know what happened to Simmons but he is not playing with any leverage. Not good knews for a G who is only 6'3". Starks is a better pass blocker than Colon and Colon is a better OL than Simmons at this point. If this staff has no problem with a 7 mil back-up on the bench...There shouldn't be any problem with inserting him into the line-up and putting a 4 mil G on the bench. It's Tomlin's move and I don't see any way this game gets swept under the rug. Arians will be under the gun and so will the OL. Time to see if Tomlin can "Walk the Walk" or if he is all talk. Here come the Ravens...If they get to Ben more than 3 times I think changes will be made!!!

ghettoscott
09-23-2008, 12:00 PM
dumbie?

http://www.starstruckdezines.com/D1086~Gumby-Green-Slab-Posters.jpg

Oviedo
09-23-2008, 12:54 PM
We lost one game. I think everyone should boycott and turn off their TVs until next September.

I also believe that unless we fire the OC and the OL coach we should never turn the TVs back on because there are at least 10,000 NFL ready OC's and OL coaches who don't have jobs and come with money back guarantees that they can fix all that is wrong with the Steelers within 1 millisecond and that the Steelers will never again play a bad game or lose a game. At least 100 of theose new OCs could also simultaneously perform the duties of GM and college scout. Most of those individuals can be contacted directly on this MB or at the Trib MB.

It's time we as fans take a stand and refuse to accept a single bad game or a defeat ever. True fans don't need to have perspective because the Steelers only exist to make us feel good. They let us down last week and it can't be tolerated.

I'm all for a Top 5 draft pick next year and will take 4 Offensive Linemen with my first 4 picks because everyone should know that rookies in the NFL guarantee success over the players we have now.

papillon
09-23-2008, 01:27 PM
We lost one game. I think everyone should boycott and turn off their TVs until next September.

I also believe that unless we fire the OC and the OL coach we should never turn the TVs back on because there are at least 10,000 NFL ready OC's and OL coaches who don't have jobs and come with money back guarantees that they can fix all that is wrong with the Steelers within 1 millisecond and that the Steelers will never again play a bad game or lose a game. At least 100 of theose new OCs could also simultaneously perform the duties of GM and college scout. Most of those individuals can be contacted directly on this MB or at the Trib MB.

It's time we as fans take a stand and refuse to accept a single bad game or a defeat ever. True fans don't need to have perspective because the Steelers only exist to make us feel good. They let us down last week and it can't be tolerated.

I'm all for a Top 5 draft pick next year and will take 4 Offensive Linemen with my first 4 picks because everyone should know that rookies in the NFL guarantee success over the players we have now.

I hope your idea of success in the NFL isn't what the O-line did this past weekend? :P The Ravens are a stout defense, what say you if Ben is sacked 4 or 5 times and can't finish the game? Give them time to gel? It's Arians fault? It's Zeirlein's fault? At some point it's the players, we'll see what happens come Monday night.

Man, I hope you're correct and it can be fixed, there's a lot of talent on this football team and the window only stays open for a short period of time. I'd hate to waste 3 years of Ben's prime trying to fix the O-line.

Pappy

Oviedo
09-23-2008, 01:40 PM

I hope your idea of success in the NFL isn't what the O-line did this past weekend? :P The Ravens are a stout defense, what say you if Ben is sacked 4 or 5 times and can't finish the game? Give them time to gel? It's Arians fault? It's Zeirlein's fault? At some point it's the players, we'll see what happens come Monday night.

Man, I hope you're correct and it can be fixed, there's a lot of talent on this football team and the window only stays open for a short period of time. I'd hate to waste 3 years of Ben's prime trying to fix the O-line.

Pappy

No predictions on whether it can or cannot be fixed. My point is after one game some want to blow things up and that is a totally unrealistic approach. We got the horses we got and you just have to strap in for the ride.

I just smile everytime I hear that change equals better. Many times change equals worse. If there were better options they would be in place.

proudpittsburgher
09-23-2008, 01:56 PM

Pappy

No predictions on whether it can or cannot be fixed. My point is after one game some want to blow things up and that is a totally unrealistic approach. We got the horses we got and you just have to strap in for the ride.

I just smile everytime I hear that change equals better. Many times change equals worse. If there were better options they would be in place.

:Agree completely, but some on here know better than everyone else int he organization, dontchaknow?. :lol:

Oviedo
09-23-2008, 02:46 PM

Pappy

:Agree completely, but some on here know better than everyone else int he organization, dontchaknow?. :lol:

Whether I know or not I'll be told over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

It's one freaking game. It isn't the first bad game nor will it be the last.

Shawn
09-23-2008, 03:16 PM

Pappy

Whether I know or not I'll be told over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

It's one freaking game. It isn't the first bad game nor will it be the last.

Agreed...some people just keep beating the dead horse. We get it!

ikestops85
09-23-2008, 03:47 PM
http://www.picpop.com/gallery/albums/userpics/1-14-05/deadhorse.jpg

SteelStallion
09-24-2008, 06:38 PM
Thank you discussion board monitors and internet police alike for telling everybody how to post. Did I hit the wrong icon and get on the pglive board by accident or something? If they want to beat the horse then let'em. It was an extreme performance and it will be talked about. No biggie.

Shawn
09-24-2008, 06:52 PM
Thank you discussion board monitors and internet police alike for telling everybody how to post. Did I hit the wrong icon and get on the pglive board by accident or something? If they want to beat the horse then let'em. It was an extreme performance and it will be talked about. No biggie.

Are you trying to police the policers? :lol:

If people want to say the same stuff over and over and over and over again...more power to them. But, it does make them look ignorant...and it does annoy probably 90+% of the board. This is not directed at anyone...rather a simple statement of opinion.

RuthlessBurgher
09-24-2008, 07:39 PM

Are you just upset by the use of the phrase "beating a dead horse" because your username includes the word "Stallion?" :wink:

SteelStallion
09-24-2008, 07:47 PM

Are you just upset by the use of the phrase "beating a dead horse" because your username includes the word "Stallion?" :wink:

That was awesome :lol: Yes. I'm a little sensitive about my dead beaten mama.

But let's get back to the o-line... :P

NKySteeler
09-24-2008, 07:49 PM

I thought it was the picture... So what about an emoticon?...

http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/2095/deadhorseha6.gif

Seriously though, opinions are what make the board go 'round, whether they're beaten to death or not.
... Take me for example... Maybe I'll start again on Arians..... :lol:

Flasteel
09-24-2008, 08:37 PM
Maybe I haven't read enough posts on here, but I don't think I've seen too many people on this board freaking out...especially to the point where it warrants an intervention. I think we all had the right to express ourselves freely for 24 hours or so, post implosion. I'm thinking of one poster off the top of my head who doesn't seem to want to let it go...that's all I've got.

RuthlessBurgher
09-24-2008, 08:55 PM
Maybe I haven't read enough posts on here, but I don't think I've seen too many people on this board freaking out...especially to the point where it warrants an intervention. I think we all had the right to express ourselves freely for 24 hours or so, post implosion. I'm thinking of one poster off the top of my head who doesn't seem to want to let it go...that's all I've got.

And that poster would be...JOM112. The Steelers lost, dude. Get over it already. :lol: