PDA

View Full Version : Steelers release Russell

SteelerNation1
09-20-2008, 12:55 PM
Just got a text from KDKA. Curious move IMO

Jooser
09-20-2008, 12:58 PM
A little anxious to hear the details, I wonder if he got into some trouble or if it's performance related....

SteelerNation1
09-20-2008, 01:07 PM
Just read on the other board that they signed Patrick Bailey off the PS. I guess Bailey will take Donovan Woods place on special teams.

Shawn
09-20-2008, 01:07 PM
As much as I like Russell...I'm not surprised. I didn't think he would make the squad personally. He regressed...and had a horrific preseason.

Oviedo
09-20-2008, 02:55 PM
As much as I like Russell...I'm not surprised. I didn't think he would make the squad personally. He regressed...and had a horrific preseason.

Wow. This is a surprise, but it illustrates IMO the following:

1. FWP is 100% and there are no worries
2. Confidence in Moore and Mendenhall
3. The hard fact that RBs in the NFL are a dime a dozen

I am surprised the activated Baily. I would have much rather have seen them sign Dre Moore off the Tampa PS to reinforce the DL and get another young body there to develop.

Shawn
09-20-2008, 03:01 PM

I am surprised the activated Baily. I would have much rather have seen them sign Dre Moore off the Tampa PS to reinforce the DL and get another young body there to develop.

I think Russell came in last season with something to prove. He ran with a grudge. I think he worked. This season he ran flat, seemed like he ran with half a heart. I wonder if work ethic came into play here. Just a thought.

SteelTorch
09-20-2008, 03:23 PM

:Agree That's what I've been saying. It seemed like everyone was all over Russell's nuts in the preseason, but I never saw anything spectacular out of him.

Discipline of Steel
09-20-2008, 04:02 PM

I think this move was strictly special teams related. Im sure Bailey has a little more speed than Moore, plus there are the associated work ethic issues hanging aorund Moores neck. In addition, I expect to see Russell on the PS if he clears waivers. (only 4 RB on roster)

That said, I cant wait till Woods gets back in action, he was looking like this years undrafted free agent gem. Id expect Bailey to return to the PS and then the return of Russell to the active roster. Just my guess...

ramblinjim
09-20-2008, 05:08 PM
Just got a text from KDKA. Curious move IMO

just saw it on NFLN too.

Shawn
09-20-2008, 05:18 PM

:Agree That's what I've been saying. It seemed like everyone was all over Russell's nuts in the preseason, but I never saw anything spectacular out of him.
Did you see anything spectacular out of him last preseason when he led the league in rushing?

fordfixer
09-20-2008, 09:11 PM
Steelers release Russell to move up rookie linebacker Bailey
Move could be temporary depending on Donovan Woods' condition
Saturday, September 20, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers released running back Gary Russell today in order to sign rookie linebacker Patrick Bailey from their practice squad.

Bailey likely is needed on special teams because fellow rookie linebacker Donovan Woods is injured. Woods played well on special teams through two games.

It's possible that Russell would be re-signed next week and Bailey put back on the practice squad if Woods is healthy.

First published on September 20, 2008 at 3:49 pm

SteelTorch
09-20-2008, 10:34 PM
Did you see anything spectacular out of him last preseason when he led the league in rushing?[/quote]
Key word: PRESEASON. :wink:

Shawn
09-21-2008, 02:57 AM
Did you see anything spectacular out of him last preseason when he led the league in rushing?
Key word: PRESEASON. :wink:[/quote]

It was also a different running back. The RB you seen this preseason did not look like the guy who was good enough to share time with Maroney and Barber at Minnesota...when he was a freshman. And he sure didn't look like the back that played last preseason. Despite competition...you can get a feel for the way a back runs. He just didn't appear to be running as hard...or fighting for a roster spot. Maybe some of the work ethic rumors were true. Or maybe it's just like others have said...our RB is a tough bunch. I'm still hoping we pick him back up.