PDA

View Full Version : Ariens is our "12th man"

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-20-2008, 01:20 AM
... and he can make us or break us on Sunday afternoon.

I'm not so concerned about what gameplan he draws up to start the game. Yeah, I might be in favor of starting the game by sending Hines and SAH out long and opening up a lot of 8 yard passes to Heath Miller or Spaeth, just to get FWP going. But really it doesn't matter, there are a lot of strategies to choose from.

What this guy absolutely has to do though for us to win is make adjustments to the game plan that looks so pretty on that laminated paper just before kickoff. He hasn't been challenged this year to make half-time adjustments - Andy Reid is no dummy, we may have to change game strategy on a quarter by quarter basis.

We've got enough weapons to win this game any number of ways. Unless we're really lucky though, we're not going to go out to a 21 point lead in the first quarter and then be able to play turtle for 45 minutes. It's probably more than likely that we're going to get knocked hard in the mouth early on. Whether Ariens can then get up off the canvas with a good "Plan B" is really the key to success on Sunday. If he can make the adjustments -we win. If not, then we really won't have shown yet that we belong to the upper tier of teams this year.

He seems to have been one of the many parts of our team that has improved significantly over last year - I'm keeping my fingers crossed (and if I have time I'll watch "The Deer Hunter" before the game).

BURGH86STEEL
09-20-2008, 07:03 AM
I do not know why people get so caught up into this game plan stuff. I am sure the game plan will be sound. The execution of the game plan will be more important.

stlrz d
09-20-2008, 08:50 AM
I'm coming around to his play calling, but I hope he can be flexible or adaptable in this game, or any game for that matter. Last week on the pre-game chatter they said he scripts the first 30 plays on offense. I've heard of coaches scripting 15, but not 30.

I only hope that if the plays he's scripted aren't working that he's not too stubborn to deviate from the script.

Iron Shiek
09-20-2008, 12:19 PM
Im with you SASF. In the prediction thread, I suggested a completely different look from the first two games for our offense. They are more than capable of doing it too. Come out with the pass. I mean look at what Romo and the Cowgirls did. They just opened up in a big way. Gotta watch the blitz, but quick passes will work on them. We've seen it work. Their "vaunted" cover men didn't look so stellar last week. I am sticking with my less run more pass to start out. I agree with you that they have to work Miller and Spaeth into the gameplan...alot. If they are rushing so many guys, Spaeth will have a huge mismatch on some safety coming up to cover him. Eventually the vertical game will open up and I expect Santonio to break out this week. Ben has a big game. We win.

That sounds easy. :D

http://designdepartment.files.wordpress.com/2006/10/geico-caveman.jpg

NKySteeler
09-20-2008, 12:31 PM
... He hasn't been challenged this year to make half-time adjustments

... Or late game, 4th quarter adjustments... I want to see how he handles the "better" teams on our schedule, and this will be a good test.

Djfan
09-21-2008, 12:29 AM
Can we see a no huddle?

RuthlessBurgher
09-21-2008, 09:46 AM
I'm coming around to his play calling, but I hope he can be flexible or adaptable in this game, or any game for that matter. Last week on the pre-game chatter they said he scripts the first 30 plays on offense. I've heard of coaches scripting 15, but not 30.

I only hope that if the plays he's scripted aren't working that he's not too stubborn to deviate from the script.

I never understood the whole idea behind scripting plays, since so many of your decisions should be based on the situation you find yourself in. I know that the great Bill Walsh did this, but I still don't get it.

For instance, let's say that your first two plays are designed to be a sweep by FWP to the right side and then a pass, with Heath Miller as your primary target over the middle.

Scenario A: Kemo pulls from his left guard spot and opens a small hole for FWP, giving him a gain of 3 yards. Then Ben completes a pass to Heath over the middle for 6 yards. 3rd and 1.

Scenario B: The Eagles blitz their safety right in front of Colon, and he can't decide whether to block the safety or the DE in time, so FWP gets thrown for a 3 yard loss on his attempted sweep. Then Ben tries to scramble out of pressure up the middle on his scripted second down pass, but ends up getting sacked for a 7 yard loss. 3rd and 20.

Are you telling me that Arians will pick the 3rd play in the script he came up with no matter whether we are in 3rd and 1 or 3rd and 20? I just don't get how scripts are useful when you never know what situation you will find yourself 3 plays into the game, never mind 30 plays into the game.

stlrz d
09-21-2008, 10:58 AM
RB - You didn't have to go into all that detail for me. I never understood it either.

Of course when they talk about scripted plays they never tell us if the coaches vary from the script based on circumstances or if they stick with it no matter what.

I would hope it's the former and not the latter.

NKySteeler
09-21-2008, 05:30 PM
Arians sucks.... Today, against a quality team, he proved it.... Get used to it, people...

BigBen2112
09-21-2008, 05:50 PM
Arians sucks.... Today, against a quality team, he proved it.... Get used to it, people...
:Clap :Clap :Clap

Sadly.

NKySteeler
09-21-2008, 07:00 PM
I'm coming around to his play calling, but I hope he can be flexible or adaptable in this game

NOT....

AngryAsian
09-21-2008, 07:20 PM
I'm absofugginlutely depressed. I don't feel like eating a dog, just kicking one. Arians needs to go. The talent is there but the play calling is awful. Kick the line coach as well. How can you not make any type of in game adjustments.

BigBen2112
09-21-2008, 07:28 PM
I'm absofugginlutely depressed. I don't feel like eating a dog, just kicking one. Arians needs to go. The talent is there but the play calling is awful. Kick the line coach as well. How can you not make any type of in game adjustments.

Both absolutely need to go NOW.

Mel Blount's G
09-21-2008, 07:31 PM
:Agree

BigBen2112
09-21-2008, 07:33 PM
:Agree

12 sacks is the most in any game in NFL history...if some of those Ben would not have escaped and got 1 yard gains on runs?

It would have been 14 sacks...thats how bad this game is.

BigBen2112
09-21-2008, 07:34 PM
TUNCH ILKIN HAS IT BEST:

"This has to be on Arians some as well. No adaptation and no screen passes or three step drops? You HAVE to help your guys out and he simply did not do that."

AMEN!

fordfixer
09-21-2008, 07:34 PM
It sure look's that way

Mel Blount's G
09-21-2008, 07:38 PM
Our offense doesn't seem to be able to execute a hot read or audible type play. Some of that is surely on ben but it blows my mind when they send 5-6 guys yet I see our center and guard looking around for guys to block. Blitzers were unchallenged all game

needs help====>http://media3.steelers.com/MediaContent/2007/02/01/12/07_Zierlein_Larry_80x111_73614.jpg
arry Zierlein is in his second season coaching the Steelers’ offensive line. Zierlein was hired on Jan. 29, 2007, by first-year head coach Mike Tomlin.
Zierlein, 62, came to Pittsburgh after previously serving as the assistant offensive line coach for the Buffalo Bills. Prior to his one-year stint inBuffalo, Zierlein was the offensive line coach for the Cleveland Browns for four seasons (2001-04). His work with Cleveland’s offensive line helped the Browns average 4.1 yards per rush and 104.4 rushing yards per game in 2003
Zierlein, who has 38 years of coaching experience, spent the previous four seasons before joining the Browns as offensive line coach for the University of Cincinnati (1997-2000). During the 2000 season, Zierlein also served as the Bearcats’ running game coordinator and helped Cincinnati set a Conference USA rushing record with 215.5 yards per game in 1997. From that line, tackle Jason Fabini was a fourth-round draft choice of the N.Y. Jets. Zierlein’s 1999 line led the nation by allowing a school-record low eight sacks, despite having four first-year starters.
Prior to his tenure at Cincinnati, Zierlein spent two seasons as offensive line coach at Tulane (1995-96) and Louisiana State (1993-94). He also served as offensive line coach at the University of Houston (1978-86).
Zierlein gained experience at the professional level as co-offensive coordinator and offensive line coach for the New York/New Jersey Knights of the World League of American Football (WLAF) in 1991-92 and as an assistant coach for the Washington Commandos of the Arena Football League in 1987.
In addition to coaching, Zierlein also served in the United States Marine Corps for two years (1966-68), including a one-year tour of duty in Vietnam (1967).
A 1971 graduate of Fort Hays (Kan.) State College, Zierlein began his coaching career at Fort Hays State College as linebackers coach in 1970. After two years at Fort Hays State, he spent six years at the high school level, coaching at Abernathy (Texas) High School from 1972-74 and Lamar Consolidated (Texas) High School from 1975-77
A native of Lenora, Kan., Zierlein and his wife, Marcia, have three children, sons Lance and Mike, and daughter Nicci, and grandchildren Alec, Drake, Ellie, Maggie and Mason.

BigBen2112
09-21-2008, 07:41 PM
ZIERLEIN AND ARIANS SHOULD BE GONE TOMORROW MORNING!!!

AngryAsian
09-21-2008, 07:46 PM
I like Tomlin, but if this continues for a good portion of the year and he doesn't put foot to azz on Arians.... then Tomlin needs to go to. Sorry guys, but if you can't see that Arians is the problem, then you should be HC. I hope Colbert is taking notes. At the very least, fire the OL coordinator. The only two coaches I've ever heard of with the letter Z starting their names are Zook and Zeirline.... both suck. Its too early to tell with Zorn.

DukieBoy
09-21-2008, 08:35 PM
12th man ?
More like a 5th wheel.

This pathetic performance is definitively on Arians.

Offensive "Coordinator"? There was no coordination to our offense today, just chaos and disorganizaion and confusion.

Offensive "play-caller"? Look at the futility of the plays called today. You put your players in positions to fail all game long.

Arians .... adapt (if you can) or be gone.
Have the character and cahones like Ed Hoculi and stand up and take responsibility.
And then do something about it.