PDA

View Full Version : LA's fine, the sun shines most of the time and the feeling..

Hardliner
09-19-2008, 05:19 PM
..is laid back. Palm trees grow, the rent is low (OK, you know the song)

Maybe too far laid back? We've all heard the pros and cons, the debates and hurdles discussed over stadium issues and fan support but how can the NFL continue to not have a franchise in the nation's #2 market???

Ummm, the #2 market! Translate: Huge revenue upgrades from national sponsors.

I'm just asking. Why can the NBA Lakers, MLB Dodgers & Angels, the NHL whatevers and others seem to get over in this market when the top sport in America is not represented? This is a serious poser, home readers.

I get the sense that some existing franchise will bolt their existing market and try that NFL thing again with the beach going, sunshine worshipping and latte sipping crowd in the Southern Cali area, don't you??? And, they won't wait for a new stadium, tax breaks, or special deals from the local government.

It's been since the mid-90s since the NFL called LA a market. OK, OK, so the point of this post? I'm thinking the top 3 teams to get hip and make that LA trip will be:

Buffalo.....OR

Jax.......OR

KC. Yep, KC. Stay tuned because from what I've been reading and hearing in the last few months, something will soon happen with the LA possibility.

stlrz d
09-19-2008, 06:59 PM
I don't care what the Angels put in their name, they are in ANAHEIM, not L.A.!!! :HeadBanger

AkronSteel
09-19-2008, 09:28 PM
I think it will be St. Louis that moves to LA. They still have half of their front office based in LA, and are not drawing crowds in STL anymore. I think since Georgia passed away and with ownership kind of up in the air, I think a move back to LA for a newer stadium with an already established fan base is very likely.

I truly expect to see someone in LA within 3 years. It is too big of a market to continue not having a team.

Steel Life
09-19-2008, 10:58 PM
I think it will be St. Louis that moves to LA. They still have half of their front office based in LA, and are not drawing crowds in STL anymore. I think since Georgia passed away and with ownership kind of up in the air, I think a move back to LA for a newer stadium with an already established fan base is very likely.

I truly expect to see someone in LA within 3 years. It is too big of a market to continue not having a team.
:Agree

Iron Shiek
09-19-2008, 11:04 PM
Sorry guys this ones a no brainer...Vikings. They are having trouble with a new stadium getting built. The owner isn't going to wait much longer. Hardliner is right though, it will happen much sooner than later. Within 5 years I firmly believe.

I think Bill Simmons' recent article also mentioned the Chargers, which I found odd.

sd steel
09-19-2008, 11:16 PM
Quite possibly the Chargers. The reason being the City of SD is basically bankrupt, so they are not working with the Chargers at all to get the stadium deal done, and there are alot of people in this town who are not Charger fans, (like the city attorney). They were the LA Chargers before they were they San Diego Chargers anyway. Plus they are a bunch of fair weather fans. When the teams sucks no one goes to the games.

But the reality of it is, LA doesn't need a team. They haven't had a team for over 15 years. LA is such a melting pot that the NFL probabaly benefits by not putting in a team in LA, because any NFL team products will sell there.

AkronSteel
09-19-2008, 11:19 PM
Quite possibly the Chargers. The reason being the City of SD is basically bankrupt, so they are not working with the Chargers at all to get the stadium deal done, and there are alot of people in this town who are not Charger fans, (like the city attorney). They were the LA Chargers before they were they San Diego Chargers anyway. Plus they are a bunch of fair weather fans. When the teams sucks no one goes to the games.

But the reality of it is, LA doesn't need a team. They haven't had a team for over 15 years. LA is such a melting pot that the NFL probabaly benefits by not putting in a team in LA, because any NFL team products will sell there.

I heard discussions last week where the Chargers were contemplating moving to a suburb of SD. I can't remember the name of the little town but it was a hot topic last week. Of course like in business it could change in 7 minutes let alone 7 days.

sd steel
09-20-2008, 12:58 AM

I heard discussions last week where the Chargers were contemplating moving to a suburb of SD. I can't remember the name of the little town but it was a hot topic last week. Of course like in business it could change in 7 minutes let alone 7 days.

It's not a little town, its in San Diego County and about 5 minutes from downtown San Diego, called National City. They have also looked about 30 minutes north in Oceanside. The logical thing would be to put it where Qualcomm stadium is, but the Spanos' are looking for a hand out from the tax payers. It's really a no brainer for the Spanos' to buy the land and build it themselves, but they are not talking about their decision yet so there are alot of suitors looking to give them a sweetheart deal, one being in LA. The city is stupid because a state of the art stadium would generate so much income for the city, (tourism, Super Bowls, concerts etc,), but they are in a budget crisis so the anti sports fans and attorneys are all about letting the Chargers walk.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-20-2008, 10:18 AM
It won't be Buffalo. Those home games in Toronto will be too far for them to travel. :wink:

In reality, Buffalo is trying to work their way through their financial situation by using those home games in Toronto. Rogers paid Ralph Wilson $75M for 5 RS and 3 PS games.

Djfan
09-20-2008, 06:45 PM
IF an NFL team goes there it will be a post-Davis Raiders team. They still own that town.

My guess is that the city will attract a bigger soccer crowd anyway, so why go through the trouble of getting a prima donna NFL team?

AkronSteel
09-21-2008, 12:29 AM
[quote="sd steel":xdhgp7h2]Quite possibly the Chargers. The reason being the City of SD is basically bankrupt, so they are not working with the Chargers at all to get the stadium deal done, and there are alot of people in this town who are not Charger fans, (like the city attorney). They were the LA Chargers before they were they San Diego Chargers anyway. Plus they are a bunch of fair weather fans. When the teams sucks no one goes to the games.

It's not a little town, its in San Diego County and about 5 minutes from downtown San Diego, called National City. They have also looked about 30 minutes north in Oceanside. The logical thing would be to put it where Qualcomm stadium is, but the Spanos' are looking for a hand out from the tax payers. It's really a no brainer for the Spanos' to buy the land and build it themselves, but they are not talking about their decision yet so there are alot of suitors looking to give them a sweetheart deal, one being in LA. The city is stupid because a state of the art stadium would generate so much income for the city, (tourism, Super Bowls, concerts etc,), but they are in a budget crisis so the anti sports fans and attorneys are all about letting the Chargers walk.[/quote:xdhgp7h2]

The suburb that was mentioned to me was Chula Vista!! I had to look it up!! It does look like Chula Vista and National City are real close they may be considered the same area/town, not sure. I sure as heck don't know the area, only been there once, and it was over 20 years ago. Has that been mentioned in the local papers or was it bad info that I recieved?

Djfan
09-21-2008, 12:41 AM
Chula Vista is a good sized town, not far from the Mexican boarder. It also boasts the US Olympic training center. Well managed city really.

The problem is that it is about 30 minutes south of the current stadium, because you have to go inland to get that much real estate for a stadium with the facilities they would want to add to the project.

I don't see that happening.

AkronSteel
09-21-2008, 01:01 AM
Chula Vista is a good sized town, not far from the Mexican boarder. It also boasts the US Olympic training center. Well managed city really.

The problem is that it is about 30 minutes south of the current stadium, because you have to go inland to get that much real estate for a stadium with the facilities they would want to add to the project.

I don't see that happening.

Cool, thanks for the info!!! Much appreciated!!!

I thought it might be cool to have the Chula Vista Chargers :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
09-21-2008, 09:30 AM
It won't be Buffalo. Those home games in Toronto will be too far for them to travel. :wink:

In reality, Buffalo is trying to work their way through their financial situation by using those home games in Toronto. Rogers paid Ralph Wilson $75M for 5 RS and 3 PS games.

If he needs to raise some $$$, instead of whining about how the last collective bargaining agreement hurts small market teams, why not sell the naming rights to the stadium, instead of naming it after your damn self. Not even a super-ego like Jerry Jones would have the cojones to name his new Stadium in Arlington "Jerry Jones Field" but that is what the Bills owner has done with "Ralph Wilson Stadium."