PDA

View Full Version : Keys to beat the Eagles?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-17-2008, 08:42 PM
I missed the Eagles game this week, I was wondering what the general thoughts were for what we need to do to win.

I'll throw in my two cents - the more we can run and keep the ball out of McNabb's hands, the better it will be for us.

What do you guys think?

RuthlessBurgher
09-17-2008, 08:45 PM
I suggested in another thread giving Timmons more playing time, and using his athleticism to shadow Westbrook whereever he goes.

Ozey74
09-17-2008, 08:47 PM
Take away their passing game. That's a tall order!!

:tt2

SteelerNation1
09-17-2008, 09:32 PM
I suggested in another thread giving Timmons more playing time, and using his athleticism to shadow Westbrook whereever he goes.
I think Troy will play Westbrook quite a bit this week.

AngryAsian
09-17-2008, 09:40 PM
I would say take McNabb out of the equation but Kevin Kolb is pretty competent for a number 2. The key to this game is shutting down Westbrook. We have to insure that he doesn't get to the outside, regardless whether he has the ball or not. The guy is the best pass catching back in the league and maybe we need to think about keeping Timmons on the field. I can't see Foote picking him up out in the flat... he's just too slow.

Takeaways. We really need to continue to be opportunistic with our defense. We can't exchange blows with this type of offense. What they did with Dallas was impressive and we need to insure we don't let their offense establish any sort of rhythm. Get McNabb riled and hurried and he'll make mistakes.

As far as our offense is concerned, its going to be pretty difficult to wear down their front 7 with some smash mouth football. This team is number 1 against the run, holding their first two opponents to just 52 yards avg. on the ground. I'm hoping Ben gets the air attack going early, so that we could possibly set up Willie and crew to do some clock chewing. That's my two yen.

Djfan
09-17-2008, 11:40 PM
I was watching the game. It seems that you can still rattle McNabb a bit. Looks like the pressure of the game got to him. Maybe a few "how do you do's" from Silverback and Wood will rattle him a bit.

Blitz, press the receivers, and we can win.

Tomlin should call me.

Discipline of Steel
09-18-2008, 12:01 AM
Dallas completed a number of longer passes against them. Their safties Mikel and Dawkins both hit very hard but they were exposed as slow in that game. Maybe this is the week Washington can contribute and perhaps Miller in a Jason Witten type of way.

AngryAsian
09-18-2008, 12:29 AM
Dallas completed a number of longer passes against them. Their safties Mikel and Dawkins both hit very hard but they were exposed as slow in that game. Maybe this is the week Washington can contribute and perhaps Miller in a Jason Witten type of way.

Dawkins is a fossil and like all fossils, he's slow. We need Santonio to use that 5th gear this Sunday.

Oviedo
09-18-2008, 07:36 AM

The number one key is protecting Ben. If he has time we will have success. Philly blitzes more than we do. Blitz recognition and pick up will be essential. I agree that Miller will be key along with throwing the ball to Spaeth. The Eagles look weak covering TEs. I would start out with short quick passes to get the LBs out of the box and prevent them blitzing which they do a lot. Lots of passes short to Hines, Miller and Spaeth.

"Washington can contribute" you gotta be kidding me!!!!!!!! I think that is the most unlikely scenario. I expect Spaeth and Moore receiving the ball to be bigger factors than Washington :stirpot

Discipline of Steel
09-18-2008, 09:21 AM
Double post I know...Im learning

Discipline of Steel
09-18-2008, 09:23 AM
"Washington can contribute" you gotta be kidding me!!!!!!!! I think that is the most unlikely scenario. I expect Spaeth and Moore receiving the ball to be bigger factors than Washington :stirpot

Well, I did say maybe... He caught some balls last year and as #3, they will throw to him at some point this year. I think this game offers a situation that is best suited to his 'skill set'. He sneaks behind the other teams secondary while nobody is worried about him. (Definately not a possession receiver!)

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-18-2008, 09:42 AM
#1 - Handle the pass rush. This is a team with a good pass rush and slow defenders. In the Dallas game they were feast or famine. When they got pressure on Romo they were able to force something. When Romo had time, he had receivers running free.

#2 - Keep a handle on Westbrook. He makes this O go. McNabb made a lot of thropws last week, but he was hitting wide open receivers. He also declined the opportunity to take off on several occassions, especially in crunch time when he could have scrambled for big yards on the final drive. This is not the same DMc and if we can keep their biggest threat in check, I believe that we will do a better job of coralling their passing game then Dallas did.

Oviedo
09-18-2008, 09:47 AM

Well, I did say maybe... He caught some balls last year and as #3, they will throw to him at some point this year. I think this game offers a situation that is best suited to his 'skill set'. He sneaks behind the other teams secondary while nobody is worried about him. (Definately not a possession receiver!)

I'll agree with "maybe." While I'm labeled a Nate 'hater" I'm really not but I have simply never bought the hype about him. He was at Tiffin versus Ohio State for a reason. He may have great physical abilities, but he lack football abilities. He caught less passes in 2007 than 2006 and it looks like he is on target to catch even less this year (zero through 2 games) despite getting paid $1.4M. If the coaching staff felt that Baker and Sweed were good enough to be on the roster, then they should be on the field learning. Hines won't be here for ever and Nate certainly isn't the replacement for him.

IMO Matt Spaeth can be a more valuable asset in the passing game than Nate.

frankthetank1
09-18-2008, 10:32 AM
I think Troy will play Westbrook quite a bit this week.

i think either one would do a great job of locking up westbrook. one thing is for sure they need to contain westbrook. if they do that then their offense will struggle. jackson looks like a good wr, but that is it. LJ smith doesnt scare me and neither does baskett or lewis

proudpittsburgher
09-18-2008, 12:44 PM
I think it's pretty obvious that we will be able to put up good numbers against the defense, but, as many have said, it all rests with how we handle westbrook. He is easily the cog that makes that machine run, and lucky for us, we have a knack for being able to take star running backs out of the game. You elminate (ok, neutralize) him, and you've got a gameplan.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-18-2008, 01:22 PM
The best way to handle Westbrook and McNabb is probably to keep them off the field. I'd like to see us grind the clock out with very slow 80 yard drives that end in 7 points, time after time. FWP 35 carries, 120 yards is the magic stat for success, I believe. This is the moment of truth for our O-line - they've given us some reason to hope they can do it.

RuthlessBurgher
09-18-2008, 02:46 PM
The best way to handle Westbrook and McNabb is probably to keep them off the field. I'd like to see us grind the clock out with very slow 80 yard drives that end in 7 points, time after time. FWP 35 carries, 120 yards is the magic stat for success, I believe. This is the moment of truth for our O-line - they've given us some reason to hope they can do it.

I'd prefer to not have to grind Willie into the ground with that many carries this early in the season. Give Rashard a dozen or so of those carries and I will be happy.