PDA

View Full Version : Noll, Cowher and Tomlin 35 years of excellence

papillon
09-17-2008, 03:03 PM
This was asked over at the Trib, but, in more of a derogatory manner than positive. As we all know the Steelers have had 3 coaches over the past 35 years with Mike Tomlin beiong the latest installment and hopefully, we aren't looking for another until I'm a very old man. Each man brought (Noll/Cowher) or brings (Tomlin) his own unique style and personality to the Steelers.

Noll - Stoic, demanded perfection, demanded effort and was a winner

Cowher - High energy, liked his veterans, didn't like playing rookies unless necessary, players coach and a winner

Two different styles, but the same result.

My question to all of you is this: For what will Mike Tomlin will be remembered? Or in the words of the poster at the Trib, "What does he bring to the table?"

Tomlin - At this point he seems to be a combination of both to a degree. He's stoic, the players respect him, those that didn't buy in are gone and he's winning (12-6 is a pretty nice start). I'm just wondering what will be his ultimate mark on the Steelers.

Pappy

anger 82&95
09-17-2008, 05:24 PM
I think there is a very positive coach/player synergy right now. There is obvious team unity, focus and drive. Conversely, Would the Steelers be the team they are right now under Grimm or whatever other candidates were considered for the job?

AngryAsian
09-17-2008, 05:50 PM
Tomlin preaches the following: preparedness and discipline. All of what he's selling in the locker room seem to have these main two components involved. I personally love his demeanor on the sidelines. I think that in the locker room he treats his players with the utmost respect and professionalism, that's why he doesn't need to bark at them when they screw up... I'm sure they'll reap the wind in practice the following day. His longest tenure was in Tampa Bay as a secondary coordinator where his charges had nothing but admiration, respect and love for the guy.

I think when it is all said and done, this guy will surpass Cowher and possibly equal Noll's success. I say that because this team is poised with such depth and talent that, if properly harnessed should reap significant success. The fulcrum is Ben. And we have him locked up with some seriously key people in the skill positions and don't let me go on about this young talented defense. In the 90s we had the dominating D, but can anybody actually say our offense was great. We had decent people, but not probowl calibre like we have in Ben and Willie.

My take, this guy will win championships.

Ozey74
09-17-2008, 06:43 PM
Tomlin comes off as a mix of Noll and Cowher. Hopefully he can be our coach for the next 30 years and we can have over 10 total Lombardi's when it's all said and done!!

:tt2

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-17-2008, 06:56 PM
You know, whenever I hear b*tching about the Steelers FO (or when I moan about this or that personnel issue), I remind myself how they pulled this guy out from NOWHERE. That move alone should really put a clamp on all the whining about how we should have gone for this lineman or that running back, etc. I guess what I'm saying is that it has bought the Steeler FO (really, the Rooneys) a pass for, oh, another decade or so in my book.

Tomlin: In my opinion he has the rare combination of character, intelligence and people skills necessary to captain an NFL team to victory*. I think we are just so fortunate that he is our new Steelers coach.

* So many coaches have maybe 1 or 2 of these, so few have all of them - Dungee, Coughlin (2007 model), gotta mention Cowher, Lombardi ... the list isn't very long. Oh, and of course Crennel (puke icon ... where's that puke icon?)

Eddie Spaghetti
09-17-2008, 06:59 PM
great communicator.

great individual.

we are fortunate to have him.

stlrz d
09-17-2008, 07:19 PM
He's a Rooney Rule hire...nothing but an over paid janitor.

Whoops...wrong board! :oops:

He's only 19 games into his career so I'm not going to get carried away, but early on he does seem to be a mix of Noll and Cowher. I like him and I think he will continue to do good things for the franchise.

And I'll continue to hope he does.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-17-2008, 07:23 PM

He's only 19 games into his career so I'm not going to get carried away, but early on he does seem to be a mix of Noll and Cowher. I like him and I think he will continue to do good things for the franchise.

:twisted:

That place is so warped, it's like entering the idiot zone.

SteelerNation1
09-17-2008, 09:31 PM
My take is it's too early to tell. I didn't like some of the calls he made during the PO game vs. Jax last year. However, 1st playoff game, he's pumped, crowd's pumped, O was rolling, I guess I can somewhat see going for 2 points from the 12. I also hated the 3rd and 6 call when Ben rolled out and tried to run. Anyway, one noticeable difference between he and Cowher is, he loves bringing people in for looks and shuffling his roster during the offseason and camp. Our TC roster changed a lot during the few weeks at Latrobe. It seemed Cowher was too stubborn to admit mistakes on certain players, and would allow them to hang around a year too long. I love the way Tomlin handled the Faneca debacle in 07 and Fat Casey this year. The players seem to respect him, and they want to play and win with him. When it is all said and done, he will win a few Lombardi's IMO.

I know I am kind of all over the place, but I am just typing what is popping into my skull.

Ozey74
09-17-2008, 09:47 PM
My take is it's too early to tell. I didn't like some of the calls he made during the PO game vs. Jax last year. However, 1st playoff game, he's pumped, crowd's pumped, O was rolling, I guess I can somewhat see going for 2 points from the 12. I also hated the 3rd and 6 call when Ben rolled out and tried to run. Anyway, one noticeable difference between he and Cowher is, he loves bringing people in for looks and shuffling his roster during the offseason and camp. Our TC roster changed a lot during the few weeks at Latrobe. It seemed Cowher was too stubborn to admit mistakes on certain players, and would allow them to hang around a year too long. I love the way Tomlin handled the Faneca debacle in 07 and Fat Casey this year. The players seem to respect him, and they want to play and win with him. When it is all said and done, he will win a few Lombardi's IMO.

I know I am kind of all over the place, but I am just typing what is popping into my skull.

I'll give him a pass on the calls that he made last year. I think of some of the choices I made at my job during my first year and wonder what was I thinking.

But, I agree with you on how he handled Faneca and Fat Casey. He didn't get intimitaded or take any crap and that speaks volumes for a young rookie coach that is around the same age!!!

papillon
09-17-2008, 10:37 PM
Someone said this over at the Trib and it rings true. The Steelers organization puts a stamp on their coach rather than the coach putting his stamp on the team. When coaches try to put their stamp on a team or organization, it may work early, but, it typically isn't a long term solution.

Pappy

SteelTorch
09-17-2008, 11:27 PM
You know, all this talk about the Trib board makes me angry! :x

I think I'm going to go over there and stir the pot a little. :D

RuthlessBurgher
09-18-2008, 01:28 AM
Tomlin is calm, cool, and collected when it is required, but he can also get pumped and truly into the game when his players are performs as they should. Seems like a good mix of some of the best qualities Noll and Cowher brought to the table.

sd steel
09-18-2008, 02:36 AM

But you beg and thank one of the biggest idiots to come over here and do the GDT....which he has posted over there as proof positive that you all here agree with him that the Steelers will go 7-9 because the oline is "the worst line in the last 40 years of the organization".

Please don't pump the dork's ego.

I peruse all of the Steeler boards I can find, and this one is one of the best, but Rick's GDT really isn't that good, and he is doing it with an agenda against Tomlin and the organization. The guy is a basher, and the oline aint that bad.

As far as Tomlin goes, it's too early to tell. I think he has the makings of a winner, but when you judge a coach you have to look at the organization he inherited, and the ownership and the FO. Could Lane Kiffin have done the same job given the opportunity? Could Russ Grimm or Whiz done better last year? The jury will be out for about 10 more years. Hopefully Tomlin wins and lasts that long. Only time will tell.

proudpittsburgher
09-18-2008, 09:20 AM
I think most people hit the nail on the head with it being too early to give Tomlin a fair grade, but I think it's safe to say that no one wants him out of town. Sure, there are pluses and minuses to be found in any person's work (if you read the Trib board, you'll find plenty of them there :P ) but for the most part, Coach Tomlin says the right things, stands fpr the right things, and runs this organization so that the team knows who the boss is, without spitting in their faces. Truth be told, all three of the Steelers last coaches have very different styles, and it is proof that there is not one way to do things.
There is a constant, however, and I think it goes along way in showing that you have to take the reigns rigth away. Each of the three coaches made changes rigth away. Noll came in and told most of the players on those late 60s teams that the reason the Steelers were bad was because most of the players weren't any good. And that most of them would be gone. Cowher came in and made some changes, some of them were seen to be unpopular, and Tomlin got rid of players like Peezy and made an example out of guys like Casey Hampton. They were all done fairly, and the players respected that, but in each of the three cases, there was no doubt who the man in charge was. In a lot of ways, the Steelers needed that, and I think they got that in Tomlin.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-18-2008, 01:53 PM
[quote="stlrz d":3v5fuhd1]He's a Rooney Rule hire...nothing but an over paid janitor.

But you beg and thank one of the biggest idiots to come over here and do the GDT....which he has posted over there as proof positive that you all here agree with him that the Steelers will go 7-9 because the oline is "the worst line in the last 40 years of the organization".

Please don't pump the dork's ego.

I peruse all of the Steeler boards I can find, and this one is one of the best, but Rick's GDT really isn't that good, and he is doing it with an agenda against Tomlin and the organization. The guy is a basher, and the oline aint that bad. ...

[/quote:3v5fuhd1]

sd steel - Things didn't go like I thought they would, and I do feel like I owe you and anyone else who feels like you do an explanation. Now I didn't actually beg anybody to do anything - I remembered how great his GDTs were last year, and I thought it would be great if he could bring that over here for this year, so I emailed him and asked him just that. I believe he may have been on the "rush" list when the board first started up, and I just wanted to follow up on that.

Not spending much time at the trib site anymore, I didn't realize that his posting style and content had changed significantly. I remember him from last year as making thoughtful, insightful, and respectful posts. I don't know what happened, but :Agree , his posts are really quite different this year.

I don't want a basher over here either, I hope rickt011 realizes what a good thing there is here and decides he wants to be a part of it. I guess if rickt011 wants to be a prickt011 over on the trib board, but is a good citizen here, I think that should be OK.

Thanks -