PDA

View Full Version : Downward Spiral Continues: Colts Lose Sanders

BigBen2112
09-17-2008, 09:41 AM
Sanders could miss up to six weeks with high ankle sprain

Associated Press
Updated: September 17, 2008, 8:18 AM ET

INDIANAPOLIS -- All-Pro safety Bob Sanders could miss four to six weeks with a high ankle sprain sustained during the Indianapolis Colts' win last Sunday over Minnesota.

Team president Bill Polian said during a taping of his weekly TV show Tuesday night that the league's defensive player of the year could also have arthroscopic "cleanup" surgery on one of his knees while he's recovering from the ankle injury.
"He will be back, that is for sure," Polian told WISH-TV. "At this point we are not sure of the severity, but four to six is the reasonable assumption at this time."
Sanders hurt his right ankle during the second half of Sunday's 18-15 win over Minnesota, adding his name to a growing list of injured Colts players.
Pro Bowl center Jeff Saturday hasn't been in a game since hurting a knee ligament Aug. 24, while starting left guard Ryan Lilja remains out after undergoing offseason knee surgery. Mike Pollak, a second-round draft choice expected to start at right guard, has been out since Aug. 24 with his own knee injury. And left tackle Tony Ugoh left Sunday's game with a groin injury.
Tight end Dallas Clark (knee) also missed the Minnesota game.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3592643

Didn't look good 1st game, didnt look good until the end 2nd game, they are hurting in key positions, and now lose Sanders? DAMN!

With all the KEY injuries around the league I just PRAY that the Steelers stay healthy all year.

rpmpit
09-17-2008, 09:49 AM
Agreed.

And I hope there's not more to Ben's shoulder injury then what they're saying.

frankthetank1
09-17-2008, 10:28 AM
sanders is very injury prone. maybe even more so than troy, considering the abuse troy puts on his body. i agree if the steelers can stay healthy they will have a huge advantage over the afc elite

AngryAsian
09-17-2008, 10:29 AM
Our team not only needs to stay healthy but continue to play top flight. The AFC is wide open with the only team that's scaring me is Denver. But I think that our team is pretty deep... deeper than we have been in years. We need to send a message to the rest of the league with a statement game. This weekend against the Eagles could be the one.

rpmpit
09-17-2008, 10:34 AM
Our team not only needs to stay healthy but continue to play top flight. The AFC is wide open with the only team that's scaring me is Denver. But I think that our team is pretty deep... deeper than we have been in years. We need to send a message to the rest of the league with a statement game. This weekend against the Eagles could be the one.

Excellent point. And this is why I was hoping Philly had beaten the Cowboys. Now, even if (WHEN) we spank the Eagles you'll have critics saying, "well, Dallas beat them too."

AngryAsian
09-17-2008, 10:41 AM

Excellent point. And this is why I was hoping Philly had beaten the Cowboys. Now, even if (WHEN) we spank the Eagles you'll have critics saying, "well, Dallas beat them too."

True my friend, but I was thinking of putting up a modest 4 touchdowns while our D holds them to a couple of field goals. To shut down a high powered offense that has the best all-around back since Marshall Faulk, has an extremely mobile, cannon armed QB, and a set of receivers that just flat out make plays... that would show the rest of the NFL how nasty our defense truly is. With the rule changes, this has become a pass happy run-up the score type NFL... I just want to show regardless of how things change, our team can still fly the banner that states, "Defense Wins Championships."

rpmpit
09-17-2008, 11:02 AM

True my friend, but I was thinking of putting up a modest 4 touchdowns while our D holds them to a couple of field goals. To shut down a high powered offense that has the best all-around back since Marshall Faulk, has an extremely mobile, cannon armed QB, and a set of receivers that just flat out make plays... that would show the rest of the NFL how nasty our defense truly is. With the rule changes, this has become a pass happy run-up the score type NFL... I just want to show regardless of how things change, our team can still fly the banner that states, "Defense Wins Championships."

Well said. Yeah, no way the Eagles put up the kind of numbers they did against the Rams and Cowboys against our D. No way, no how!!!!

LasVegasGuy
09-17-2008, 11:05 AM

Dude, your saying "well, Dallas beat them too" like it is a bad thing. Dallas maybe one of the best teams in the NFC.

rpmpit
09-17-2008, 11:16 AM

Dude, your saying "well, Dallas beat them too" like it is a bad thing. Dallas maybe one of the best teams in the NFC.

Huh?? Are you saying that beating the Eagles after they beat the Cowboys (because the Cowboys are one of the best teams not only in the NFC but the entire NFL) wouldn't feel like a greater achievment??

LasVegasGuy
09-17-2008, 11:19 AM

Huh?? Are you saying that beating the Eagles after they beat the Cowboys (because the Cowboys are one of the best teams not only in the NFC but the entire NFL) wouldn't feel like a greater achievment??

I guess I misunderstood your statement.

rpmpit
09-17-2008, 11:26 AM

I guess I misunderstood your statement.

Well don't let it happen again :P

Nah, its cool. I guess I could have explained myself better.

costanza2k1
09-17-2008, 11:38 AM
Injuries have hit us too, we've lost Kiesel, our Punter, and Woods (good special teams player) missed last week. Granted these may not be big time names but they still have an effect on our team.

RuthlessBurgher
09-17-2008, 12:30 PM

Denver's passing game has looked awesome so far, but I would still take Ben/Holmes/Hines/Heath over Cutler/Marshall/Royal/Scheffler. I also like our running game better, and our defense is head and shoulders above theirs.

AngryAsian
09-17-2008, 01:43 PM

Denver's passing game has looked awesome so far, but I would still take Ben/Holmes/Hines/Heath over Cutler/Marshall/Royal/Scheffler. I also like our running game better, and our defense is head and shoulders above theirs.

Don't get me wrong, I think our passing game this year is off to a great start but 2 games Santonio and Hines have 18 catches total between them.... Marshall has played 1 game and has the same amount of receptions. I think Hines is starting to show his age, because I've never seen him bobble so many passes in such a short time. I think our team is all around better than Denver's.... but that doesn't shake the fact that they're pretty scary so far. I'm just happy we're not playing them this year. San Diego will be tough enough.

RuthlessBurgher
09-17-2008, 01:51 PM

Don't get me wrong, I think our passing game this year is off to a great start but 2 games Santonio and Hines have 18 catches total between them.... Marshall has played 1 game and has the same amount of receptions. I think Hines is starting to show his age, because I've never seen him bobble so many passes in such a short time. I think our team is all around better than Denver's.... but that doesn't shake the fact that they're pretty scary so far. I'm just happy we're not playing them this year. San Diego will be tough enough.

Isn't it great that the winless Browns playing the undefeated Broncos and Bills will be as difficult if not moreso than our games against Merriman-less San Diego and Brady-less New England? :brownssuck :lol:

ikestops85
09-17-2008, 02:06 PM

Nope, I think it is too early for our statement game. Let's build slowly until about 3 or 4 games left in the season and then start moving to our peak. We don't want to be firing on all cylinders now and then sputter to the finish line like last year. As long as we control our division we will be fine. Then we can peak like we did in 2005 and the Giants did last year. JMHO.
:tt1

Oviedo
09-17-2008, 02:10 PM

Nope, I think it is too early for our statement game. Let's build slowly until about 3 or 4 games left in the season and then start moving to our peak. We don't want to be firing on all cylinders now and then sputter to the finish line like last year. As long as we control our division we will be fine. Then we can peak like we did in 2005 and the Giants did last year. JMHO.

I agree.

Priority #1 is win the AFC North
Priority #2 is get at least our first playoff game at home

Everything after that is week by week.

RuthlessBurgher
09-17-2008, 02:11 PM

I agree.

Priority #1 is win the AFC North
Priority #2 is get at least our first playoff game at home

Everything after that is week by week.

If you accomplish Priority #1, then Priority #2 is a given.

Mel Blount's G
09-17-2008, 02:19 PM
There was a lot of folks on the Trib board last year saying sanders>troy. Well, they play very similar styles and those who question the durability of troy ought to take a look a sanders' fragility.....

Ozey74
09-17-2008, 07:43 PM
Is Troy not running into O-lineman as much as he has he the past?

Mel Blount's G
09-17-2008, 08:57 PM
Well, he went overtop of them at least once on sunday.... :Bow

Ozey74
09-17-2008, 09:04 PM
Well, he went overtop of them at least once on sunday.... :Bow

That definitely wasn't a defensive scheme that we would never see in the preseason!

:tt2

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-18-2008, 09:13 AM

Week 3 critics are about as relevant as power rankings. Until this league goes to a NCAA style voting system, I could care less what the "experts" say.