PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Team Report

fordfixer
09-17-2008, 12:53 AM
Steelers Team Report

Yahoo! Sports 13 hours, 1 minute ago
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=t ... eam_report (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=teamreports-2008-nfl-pit&prov=sportsxchange&type=team_report)

Inside Slant

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is fine and his right shoulder is healthy, no matter what NBC television says.

NBC reported on Sunday night that Roethlisberger had a separated shoulder. The Steelers quarterback then went out and threw several deep balls and completed 12 of 19 for 186 yards and a 113 passer rating.

Among his passes was one that traveled nearly 60 yards in the air and was caught by Santonio Holmes for a 48-yard gain. Another was a bullet to Hines Ward for the game’s only touchdown, of 11 yards and one that traveled a little more than 20 yards. And yet another came from the line of scrimmage at the 45 of the Steelers that Willie Parker dropped inside the five.

The Steelers dismissed the NBC report right after the game as nonsense.

“They know more than I do,” coach Mike Tomlin said. “That’s good television, I guess.”

Tomlin reported last Tuesday that Roethlisberger had a sore right shoulder from the opening game against Houston. The quarterback did not practice on Wednesday and did nothing but hand off on Thursday before going through a full practice on Friday.

A separated right shoulder? If so, then offensive coordinator Bruce Arians must have his head examined because he had Roethlisberger open the first series in the shotgun firing away—Big Ben completed his first three passes, one for 16 yards.

Notes, Quotes

• Coach Mike Tomlin deferred his choice into the second half when the Steelers won the coin toss in Cleveland Sunday. That’s something Tomlin said he would not do.

“A few months ago, I said I had Ben (Roethlisberger) so I’d never defer and I deferred tonight,” Tomlin said after the game, played in rain and wind gusts up to 60 mph. “The wind was that much a factor, and we had great faith in our defense as well.”

The Steelers think of Cleveland as their second home. They’ve won nine of the 10 games they’ve played in the new Cleveland Browns Stadium, where they began play in 1999.

“For whatever reasons, we feel confident playing here,” said Hines Ward right after the game. “Overall, we like playing in Pitt … Cleveland.”

Pittsburgh leads the AFC North Division with a 2-0 record and already has a two-game lead over Cleveland and Baltimore—the teams considered to be their biggest threats at repeating as champs.

“We’re 2-0,” Ward said. “Cincinnati and Cleveland are 0-2. They have to catch up to us. It is big. Everybody picked Cleveland as the team to beat. We came on the road and won up here, it speaks volumes for our team. … We are the division champions from last year.”

Strategy And Personnel

PLAYER NOTES

• WR Hines Ward has three TD catches, matching his best start after two games. He also had three after two games in 2002, when he tied the team record with 12 TD receptions.

• RB Willie Parker has two 100-yard games and his 243 yards rank third in the NFL. He led the NFL after 14 games last season, only to break his fibula on the first carry of game 15.

• RB Rashard Mendenhall had no carries in his second NFL game and it now appears he will be a mere complementary back as a rookie, barring an injury to Parker.

• WR Nate Washington dropped the only pass thrown his way on Sunday night. He has not caught a pass this season.

• RB Mewelde Moore, the team’s new third-down back, has no runs and no receptions after two games.

REPORT CARD VS. BROWNS

Passing Offense: B—Ben Roethlisberger had another workmanlike day in rain and a wind that gusted to 60 miles per hour. he completed 12 of 19 for 186 yards and the game’s only TD, of 11 yards to Hines Ward. Efficient and effective in bad weather. The one drawback: He was sacked three times. Ward dropped one of his passes on the goal line and Willie Parker dropped a deep pass inside the five.

Rushing Offense: B—Willie Parker had his second 100-yard game with 105 on 28 carries but no touchdowns this time. He made a big fourth-and-one, picking up 13 around right end to keep the game’s only touchdown drive alive. He also ran seven of the eight times on the Steelers’ final drive that chewed up 2:55 seconds, turning the ball over to the Browns on their 26 with 26 seconds to go.

Pass Defense: A—Two interceptions, two sacks and no touchdowns by Cleveland’s Derek Anderson added up to a good night for the Steelers’ pass defense. Anderson was 18 of 32 for 166 yards and had a poor 44.5 rating. End Aaron Smith had both sacks. The Browns averaged just 9.2 yards per attempt. Cornerback Bryant McFadden’s interception in the first half started the game’s only TD drive and Troy Polamalu’s second interception of the season at the three on the last play of the first half kept the Browns off the scoreboard at the time.

Rush Defense: A - Even after losing starting DE Brett Keisel in the first quarter to a calf injury, the Steelers slammed everything shut on Cleveland. Jamal Lewis carried 19 times for just 38 yards and the Browns overall had 53 yards and a 2.1-yard average with a long of eight.

Special Teams: C - Jeff Reed made his only attempt, from 48, in the wind and rain. Punter Mitch Berger averaged 45.5 yards on six punts with a 38.2 net. Josh Cribbs, who has been known to have fun returning against the Steelers, did little - one kickoff return for 22 yards and an 8.8-yard average on five punts. The Steelers did muff a kickoff return when rookie Rashard Mendenhall let a kickoff bounce, then collided with teammate Carey Davis as the ball squirted around and, finally, out of bounds at the two.

Coaching: A - Mike Tomlin let the Cleveland coaches make all the dumb mistakes. Tomlin made two important ones that came through for him. He went for it on fourth-and-one at Cleveland’s 40 in a second-quarter scoreless tie and Parker ran 13 yards to keep the game’s only TD drive going. And he decided to run a play rather than try a 38-yard field goal into the wind with 30 seconds left. Even though Parker lost yards, Cleveland would have had to cover 74 yards for the winning score after taking over with 26 seconds left.
It's not too late to sign up for Yahoo! Fantasy Sports: Fantasy Football | Survival Football | Salary Cap Football

frankthetank1
09-17-2008, 07:39 AM
• WR Nate Washington dropped the only pass thrown his way on Sunday night. He has not caught a pass this season.

wow now thats a really stupid thing to say especially since it wasnt a catchable pass. it never reached nate and never hit him in his hands but its a drop huh?

AngryAsian
09-17-2008, 07:46 AM

wow now thats a really stupid thing to say especially since it wasnt a catchable pass. it never reached nate and never hit him in his hands but its a drop huh?

Willie Reid, where are you? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

frankthetank1
09-17-2008, 07:51 AM

haha dont get me started. i liked willie. just watch he will become a star some where else and everybody will be blaming the fo :lol:

AngryAsian
09-17-2008, 07:58 AM

haha dont get me started. i liked willie. just watch he will become a star some where else and everybody will be blaming the fo :lol:

I feel your pain on that one, frank. I too liked Willie and felt we could of found a place for him on the roster this year. Two games and no catches for Nate.... I guess the FO sees something that I don't.... like balls on the ground. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
09-18-2008, 01:09 AM
Anderson was 18 of 32 for 166 yards and had a poor 44.5 rating. End Aaron Smith had both sacks. The Browns averaged just 9.2 yards per attempt.

It looks like they screwed this stat up. If Anderson had 9.2 yards per attempt, it would be stellar (for comparison's sake, Roethlisberger had 9.8 yards per attempt in this game...12 of 19 for 186 yards). Unfortunately, Anderson only had 9.2 yards per completion (a much different animal). His yards per attempt was a paltry 5.2 YPA. By the way, Roethlisberger had 15.5 yards per completion.