09-16-2008, 11:44 PM
Forget Browns angst: Go with Steelers

Coach Crennel leaves self open to question

By Patrick McManamon
Beacon Journal sports columnist
http://www.ohio.com/sports/browns/28438799.html

Published on Tuesday, Sep 16, 2008

Adopt the Steelers.

Embrace them. Mentally, at least. Bring them into the family and accept them and deal with them as part of your life.

Because the Browns have not given anyone a reason to embrace them, not since their return in 1999.

The Browns have had two good seasons. They reached the playoffs once, then a month later they blew up the team and that was the end of that.

Last season, the Browns went 10-6 and raised hopes for this year. Contract extensions were given out like Halloween candy.

Now, self-adoring ''stars,'' injuries, poor play, lack of depth and some downright inexplicable in-game decisions have the Browns losers of two games in a row at home.

This team that wanted to be an elite team?

It got embarrassed, twice, and showed an amazingly shallow recognition of some fundamental facts.

Let's consider one play and yes, there are many from which to pick and that's the fake onside/bloop kickoff following the field goal that made the deficit Sunday night against the Steelers 10-6.

The Browns did not line up properly. League rules call for at least four guys on each side of the ball. It's a safety thing.

The Browns didn't have the correct number.

This had to be something they practiced, prepared and planned on using.

Which means they didn't line up right through their preparations.

The Steelers, meanwhile, showed a clear understanding of the rules. When the Steelers saw the bloop kick, they signaled for a fair catch, a smart play that takes away the possibility of the kickoff team blowing up the receiver and recovering a fumble.

Adopt the Steelers.

Make them . . . ahem . . . ummm . . . yours? Heck, they do play the game the way the team in Cleveland played it a decade or two or three ago.

Just adopt the Steelers. It will eliminate all this angst about personnel and coaching decisions.

When coach Romeo Crennel got his contract extension in the offseason,
he said it meant he had better win this year.

I thought it was odd to be giving extensions to guys with two years left on their deal after one good year and two bad ones. But the Browns chose to do it. They have this habit of doing it, too. They gave an extension to Butch Davis after he had gone 5-11.

There's no security like coaching for the Browns.

Now people want Crennel's head. Fire him, they cry.

What sense does it make to fire a guy after you've extended his contract, and how in the world would it help to start over again? Again?

Crennel is the team's coach, and barring further meltdown, which does appear possible, he will be the coach in December and January.

After the season, who knows?

But that doesn't mean the coach has not left himself open to question. He has had three important times to choose between a field goal or a first down in the first two games, and every time he chose the opposite of the way I would have chosen.

The decision against the Cowboys, going for a field goal down 21 with 10 minutes left, I can't defend.

The decision at the end of the half against the Steelers? I disagree, but another football guy said that a coach has to know his team, and maybe Crennel felt that was his best chance to seize the momentum and take advantage of a scoring chance when conditions were hostile to scoring. OK, but I still would have kicked.

The decision in the fourth quarter Sunday night? OK, maybe. But bottom line is that with or without that field goal, Crennel was asking his defense to stop Pittsburgh and his offense to score a touchdown. I'd have tried for the first down.

It's a funny thing.

Denver Broncos coach Mike Shanahan went for two after a late touchdown Sunday, because he did not have confidence his defense could stop the San Diego Chargers in overtime.

Crennel did not go for it, because he had confidence in his defense.

Look who's the goat.

Crennel clearly is not helping his cause. And his players are not helping Crennel. They did not, as they say, have his back in either game.

We always hear that teams lose as a team. Well, the Browns have lost twice as a team. The decisions were odd. There were stupid penalties. The secondary is bereft, as is receiving depth. (The Steelers bring in Santonio Holmes, the Browns, Syndric Steptoe). The offensive line has not played up to last season's standard. The quarterback is uncertain. And the (alleged) standout wide receiver is too busy hosting celebrities and driving 120 mph to catch passes.

With the exception of Kellen Winslow and Jamal Lewis, who on the offense can be highlighted?

Enough of trying to push this rock up the hill. The Browns simply have not given anyone from the guy watching TV in the living room to the people paying for all those club seats anything on which to hang their hats.

It's time to adopt a team that plays hard, plays well and plays smart. A team that competes and understands the league and conducts itself like a real NFL team.

Adopt the Steelers.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-17-2008, 12:07 AM
Holy cow, is this saying what I think it is ... a Cleveland sportswriter throwing the towel in and saying to go with the Men of Steel?

Those guys are pitiful! So weak, their sportswriters don't have the backbone to stay with the team. :loser

AngryAsian
09-17-2008, 08:03 AM
Holy cow, is this saying what I think it is ... a Cleveland sportswriter throwing the towel in and saying to go with the Men of Steel?

Those guys are pitiful! So weak, their sportswriters don't have the backbone to stay with the team. :loser

Its the Browns. They'll never have a chance, as long as they have Crennel. If the tank this year, they'll give Romeo his pink slip and hire one of their own..... The JAW. Mark my words, they'll throw an offer sheet to Cowher. He is a former Stain.

Ozey74
09-17-2008, 08:06 AM

The most pathetic thing about this line is that it comes after Week 2. It's not like the Browns just wrapped up the #1 draft position for the 2009 draft.

:brownssuck

Oviedo
09-17-2008, 08:11 AM

Its the Browns. They'll never have a chance, as long as they have Crennel. If the tank this year, they'll give Romeo his pink slip and hire one of their own..... The JAW. Mark my words, they'll throw an offer sheet to Cowher. He is a former Stain.

If Cowher would take a job coaching the Browns they should put an asterix next to his name in the Steelers records as a traitor. That would be low for someone who claimed to grow up as a Steeler fan. He knows the rivalry and should be booed everytime he stepped into Heinz field.

Iron Shiek
09-17-2008, 08:13 AM
Now, self-adoring ''stars,'' injuries, poor play, lack of depth and some downright inexplicable in-game decisions have the Browns losers of two games in a row at home.

This team that wanted to be an elite team?

It got embarrassed, twice, and showed an amazingly shallow recognition of some fundamental facts.

Okay everyone on this board (and Colin Cowherd and thats it) saw this coming from a mile away. How could the rest of the NFL viewing public be so naive. We are smart, rational football fans it seems. :brownssuck :owned :moon

AkronSteel
09-17-2008, 02:24 PM
I saw this yesterday in the local paper. I was stunned to read it and I am sure alot of fans around here did not appreciate the article. It does go to show how much apathy there is with the Browns here. It is truly sad because alot of my friends (Browns Fans) say the rivalry doesn't even exist anymore. I remember when I was a kid, this rivalry actually had some teeth. I had a beer poured on my head in Cleveland Municipal Stadium when I was 14. The fans around here just seem reserved to the fact that they will lose to the Steelers twice a year now.

There sure seems to be alot more Steelers Fans around here than there use to be. I use to be the outcast!!! Oh well there is nothing wrong with joining the dark side, no matter when you do it, right? I have converted several Browns fans myself with a true initiation. They are required to burn all Browns memrobilia and drink a six of IC. Then they have to wave a towel and don a jersey. It's fun you should try it sometime.

Lifer here though, I recieved a Franco Jersey from my grandpa when I got home from the hospital, still have it to this day!!!

:tt1 :tt2

oh yeah, I almost forgot!!!

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-17-2008, 07:00 PM

If Cowher would take a job coaching the Browns they should put an asterix next to his name in the Steelers records as a traitor. That would be low for someone who claimed to grow up as a Steeler fan. He knows the rivalry and should be booed everytime he stepped into Heinz field.

That would be so weird if he did that. On the one hand he definitely would deserve every bit of "boos" that the rest of the Clowns did, no exemptions, maybe a standing ovation first time he enters Heinz field then that's it.

But I don't think I could work myself up into the same lather about him as I could about Bellicheat, or the Walrus, or even Gruden for some reason.

I wonder how the Giants fans felt when Parcells was the Cowboy's coach?

buckeyehoppy
09-17-2008, 07:52 PM
:tt1 :tt1 :tt1 Hoobah!!! Patrick McManamon! :tt2 :tt2 :tt2

This is the article that I have been waiting 25 freaking years to read from a Cleveland sportswriter (OK, OK: it's Akron, but Cleveland only seems to have property rights). Finally, a Cleveland scribe who actually has the gonads to question the Clowns in a public forum and applaud the Steelers for what they are: a team who plays, and has played, the game the right way...for years.

It's not just that :brownssuck . It's about how they have sucked and how they have done absolutely nothing in the last 44 years to engender fan confidence and loyalty. All they have to stick their loyalty on is a drunk former QB who's a local boy made good. Never mind that he never won $#!+ until Bill Belichick cut his sorry @$$. Gee, seems like he knew something...then! Or a "dog pound" that is more myth than legend.

It's why, when I was in high school in suburban western Cleveland, I consciously became a Steelers fan and haven't looked back. Ever since then, I have watched Clowns fan morph into a league-wide circus act and become more well known for throwing p!$$ filled beer bottles onto the field than a group that truly gets behind its team. It's because they don't actually have a team to get behind. So, they have to belittle the other teams rather than support their own. It's because the team itself has done little, if anything, to give real fans anything to root for.

The choice is obvious here in Cleveland: you either are a football fan and you, more than likely, adopt the Steelers as your team. Or...you adopt the Clowns...and hate the other team more than you love your own.

It's why I always say: It's easy to spot the football fans in Cleveland on Sunday...they are all wearing Black and Gold!
:tt1 :tt2 :Steel :tt1 :tt2 :Steel :tt1 :tt2 :Steel

eniparadoxgma
09-17-2008, 10:45 PM
Ya know...

I don't mention this much but...

(lowers head)

...I was born in Cleveland. :cry:

However, even though my dad had a Bungles helmet and a Brown helmet hanging on the wall...I became a Steeler fan in the second half of the 70's, when I was but a wee lad...

This article is...

AWESOME. hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

:tt2 :tt1 :tt2 :tt1 :tt2 :tt1 :tt2 :tt1

Mel Blount's G
09-17-2008, 11:09 PM
If Cowher were to take over as The Main-Stain-of-Shame, there would be a harsh ripple effect through the Steeler Universe unlike any seen before. Suicide hotlines swamped, crushed psyche's, professional counseling waiting lists, family violence, spikes in yinz drink and drug use, etc.., etc... Would be akin to Noll leaving the Steelers to coach the Cowboys. Not good. Not good AT ALL. This thought keeps me up at night.
:( :evil: :shock: :o :cry: :( :evil: :shock: :o :cry: :( :evil: :shock: :o :cry: :( :evil: :shock: :o :cry: :( :evil: :shock: :o :cry: :( :evil: :shock: :o :cry:

buckeyehoppy
09-17-2008, 11:13 PM
Ya know...

I don't mention this much but...

(lowers head)

...I was born in Cleveland. :cry:

However, even though my dad had a Bungles helmet and a Brown helmet hanging on the wall...I became a Steeler fan in the second half of the 70's, when I was but a wee lad...

This article is...

AWESOME. hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

:tt2 :tt1 :tt2 :tt1 :tt2 :tt1 :tt2 :tt1

No sweat being born in Cleveland, dude!

So long as you don't just follow the Clowns like the rest of the lemmings in this town, you should be good.

For me, there are only two teams in Cleveland: the Tribe and the athletic teams at Cleveland State University. Outside of that, I don't have much use for what passes for sports here.

Ozey74
09-17-2008, 11:16 PM
If Cowher were to take over as The Main-Stain-of-Shame, there would be a harsh ripple effect through the Steeler Universe unlike any seen before. Suicide hotlines swamped, crushed psyche's, professional counseling waiting lists, family violence, spikes in yinz drink and drug use, etc.., etc... Would be akin to Noll leaving the Steelers to coach the Cowboys. Not good. Not good AT ALL. This thought keeps me up at night.
:( :evil: :shock: :o :cry: :( :evil: :shock: :o :cry: :( :evil: :shock: :o :cry:

If the Steelers were to continue to dominte the rivalry against the Browns with Cowher as their coach, the following would be confirmed:

Tomlin is a hell of a coach

:tt2

Djfan
09-18-2008, 12:22 AM
I couldn't care less what Cowher does now. He had his time in paradise, and left. Go coach the stains, billy boy. Take 15 years and give them one ring, with too many lame playoff losses along the way.

Will follow Tomlin to a few more rings in the meantime, and watch the rest of the NFL try to catch up to our ring count again.

Stains fans are as lame as Charger fans - both of them!

buckeyehoppy
09-18-2008, 04:17 PM
Was talking with a co-worker today and he mentioned that he "knew someone" that worked for the Clowns in their offices.

Well, anyway, "according to sources" the Clowns are already in negotiations with Cowher to buy out his CBS contract and make him the new HC of the Clowns. When asked to elaborate, the co-worker simply started going off about how "The Chin" was going to coach the Clowns.

No verified sources. No names, please. He was just dropping "a rumor" that he had "heard".

FWIW, if "The Chin" decided to go to Cleveland he would immediately become the highest paid HC in the NFL w/o question. Otherwise, why would a coach with his track record and credentials go to as hopeless a situation as the Clowns. He doesn't need the headache of taking over a program that is mediocre, at best.

I say that Cowher will stay put where he is. If I'm proven wrong and he goes anywhere, he will go to a team that is already there and just needs a knee in the butt to get over the hump.

ikestops85
09-18-2008, 04:53 PM
Snyder is loading up the Brinks truck right now for Cowher ... aaargh :evil: