PDA

View Full Version : Farrior's mysterious taunting call

JAR
09-16-2008, 04:24 AM
explained :D

Steelers' bark as big as bite
Tuesday, September 16, 2008
By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

This might come as a surprise to you, but the Cleveland football fans weren't exactly friendly to their visitors from Pittsburgh Sunday night. "We saw a lot of middle fingers and heard a lot of f-bombs," Steelers linebacker Larry Foote said.

Imagine that.

How rude!

Pittsburgh fans would never be so obnoxious.

Of course they wouldn't.

But I digress ...

This was before the game, before the Steelers won, 10-6, with a performance that, though hardly dominant, was good enough to give them an early two-game lead over the Browns in the AFC North Division. Most of the Steelers ignored the taunts from Cleveland's great unwashed and went about their warm-ups at the end of the stadium near the infamous Dawg Pound. Not Foote and linebacker James Farrior. They moseyed over and gave the business right back to the, for lack of a better word, dawgs.

"We told 'em it was a puppy pound, not a dawg pound," Farrior said.

That didn't hurt nearly as much as this:

"I told 'em to cheer for us, not a losing team," Farrior said.

Ouch.

"They were egging us on, telling us to come into the stands. Like they were going to do something to us," Foote said, rolling his eyes.

The abuse continued during the game. Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward especially was targeted after he dropped what should have been a touchdown pass in the second quarter. "They were just killing me after that," he said. "They were saying a lot of mean stuff about me and about my mama. I mean, c'mon guys, I'm here to play football. Leave my mama out of it."

Wouldn't you know Ward caught an 11-yard touchdown pass from Ben Roethlisberger on the play after the drop? Now, it was his turn to have some fun. He scratched like a dog in the end zone grass, right in front of the very same dawgs. "Just marking my spot," he said, grinning. "That silenced 'em."

Ward, Farrior, Foote and the rest got the last laugh. "We didn't have to say anything walking off the field. The scoreboard said it all," Foote said. It was the Steelers' 10th consecutive victory against the Browns and their 16th in the past 17 games in the series. Foote, in his seventh NFL season, has never lost at Cleveland Browns Stadium.

"Never. Not there or in Cincinnati," he said.

"It's like the big brother beating up on the little brother all the time. The little brother can't help but get discouraged.

"They know it's our division."

Farrior enjoyed this latest victory just as much, but it's going to cost him a bundle. Late in the third quarter, during a timeout when the Steelers' medical staff tended to injured safety Ryan Clark on the field, Farrior took offense at a pocket of fans cheering Clark's injury. One made an obscene gesture to him.

You might guess what happened next.

"I gave it right back to him," Farrior said.

Referee Tony Corrente announced the penalty on Farrior as "taunting."

That sounds just a bit more dignified than "throwing the bird."

Still, it gave the Browns a first down and led to their first field goal.

"It was stupid," Farrior said. "I never should have done it or been involved in that situation. I know better than that. It could have cost us the game."

Farrior's fine from the NFL probably will be significant. Commissioner Roger Goodell is never happy when one of the players flips off a paying customer, no matter how rude and obnoxious that paying customer might be.

"I'll take my lumps, pay my fine and move on," Farrior said.

The man wasn't kidding about taking his lumps.

Hearing from the league is one thing. Hearing from coach Mike Tomlin is another.

I'm sure the coach appreciates that Farrior rushed to a teammate's defense, but he can't possibly like his players taking undisciplined, unsportsmanlike conduct penalties in close games any more than Goodell likes the players giving the middle finger to the fans,

"I'll be trying to avoid him this week," Farrior said of Tomlin.

Good luck with that.

Farrior thought he heard an earful from the barking dawgs?

He hasn't heard anything yet.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08260/912485-66.stm

stlrz d
09-16-2008, 07:33 AM
Farrior enjoyed this latest victory just as much, but it's going to cost him a bundle. Late in the third quarter, during a timeout when the Steelers' medical staff tended to injured safety Ryan Clark on the field, Farrior took offense at a pocket of fans cheering Clark's injury. One made an obscene gesture to him.

I don't care what team you support, you simply do not cheer an injury to a player while that player is on the field being tended to.

If you wanna be happy about it after the fact that's your choice, but to cheer about a man being down is unforgivable, imo.

Kudos to you James. :Clap

frankthetank1
09-16-2008, 07:40 AM

I don't care what team you support, you simply do not cheer an injury to a player while that player is on the field being tended to.

If you wanna be happy about it after the fact that's your choice, but to cheer about a man being down is unforgivable, imo.

i agree it says a lot about their fanbase. i love this quote "I told 'em to cheer for us, not a losing team,". thats so funny

RuthlessBurgher
09-16-2008, 10:22 AM

i agree it says a lot about their fanbase. i love this quote "I told 'em to cheer for us, not a losing team,". thats so funny

I preferred the quote, "Most of the Steelers ignored the taunts from Cleveland's great unwashed..." :lol:

Discipline of Steel
09-16-2008, 10:24 AM
I can hear Tomlin now..."You, of all the men on this team, should know better. You are the veteran, the leader. The penalty cost us points on the board, could have cost us the game and possibly even the division and/or playoffs. That was a disservice to all of the great steeler fans out there who support us and want us to win the Super Bowl. Now I want you to learn from this mistake and set the friggin example for the rest of the players on this team who look up to you."

Im not down on James but not about to hand out kudos. Everyone makes mistakes and Im sure he will take the correct message back to the rest of the players. Im just sayin'...

BigBen2112
09-16-2008, 10:37 AM
I can hear Tomlin now..."You, of all the men on this team, should know better. You are the veteran, the leader. The penalty cost us points on the board, could have cost us the game and possibly even the division and/or playoffs. That was a disservice to all of the great steeler fans out there who support us and want us to win the Super Bowl. Now I want you to learn from this mistake and set the friggin example for the rest of the players on this team who look up to you."

Im not down on James but not about to hand out kudos. Everyone makes mistakes and Im sure he will take the correct message back to the rest of the players. Im just sayin'...

I hope Tomlin DOES tear into him.

If Farrior really gets pizzed and goes all out to set the example our D could go OFF next week and destroy the Eagles.

There are very FEW on this D I would want to be energized more than they already are for ANY reason if I were the opponent.

Farrior gets UP for this next game to show example and goes OFF on his fellow players to get them up?!?!

Harrison+Woodley+Farrior GOING OFF?

DAMN!

RuthlessBurgher
09-16-2008, 12:12 PM

I hope Tomlin DOES tear into him.

If Farrior really gets pizzed and goes all out to set the example our D could go OFF next week and destroy the Eagles.

There are very FEW on this D I would want to be energized more than they already are for ANY reason if I were the opponent.

Farrior gets UP for this next game to show example and goes OFF on his fellow players to get them up?!?!

Harrison+Woodley+Farrior GOING OFF?

DAMN!

Having those 3 at the top of their games at the same time would be scary. I would also use Timmons more against the Eagles, since he has the athleticism to be Westbrook's shadow, spying him whereever he goes.

Mel Blount's G
09-16-2008, 01:26 PM
I would also use Timmons more against the Eagles, since he has the athleticism to be Westbrook's shadow, spying him whereever he goes.
I might take Foote's brains and experience to keep track of westbrook over timmons atheleticism. There IS a reason he didn't beat out Foote I believe

RuthlessBurgher
09-16-2008, 01:31 PM
I would also use Timmons more against the Eagles, since he has the athleticism to be Westbrook's shadow, spying him whereever he goes.
I might take Foote's brains and experience to keep track of westbrook over timmons atheleticism. There IS a reason he didn't beat out Foote I believe

You don't need experience and savvy to shadow a guy. All you need is the speed to keep up with him, the ability to blast him if the ball gets there, and coach to point out "You see #36? Sic 'im!"

Mel Blount's G
09-16-2008, 01:36 PM

You don't need experience and savvy to shadow a guy. All you need is the speed to keep up with him, the ability to blast him if the ball gets there, and coach to point out "You see #36? Sic 'im!"
I agree then that Tims would be better physically suited to just "shadow" but I'm thinking LeBeau'a D would never be as simple as an ILB just "shadowing" a guy. But maybe that would be the best way since westbrook produces the majority of that offense...

stlrz d
09-16-2008, 02:01 PM
Having those 3 at the top of their games at the same time would be scary. I would also use Timmons more against the Eagles, since he has the athleticism to be Westbrook's shadow, spying him whereever he goes.

You beat me to it...I was going to start a thread on that.

I think we'll see it.

ghettoscott
09-16-2008, 05:55 PM

word.

NorthCoast
09-17-2008, 09:17 PM
Ya know, these Steeler-Clowns games remind me of Lucy and Charlie Brown kicking the football. Guess which team is 'Lucy'?.....and yet 'Charlie' just keep coming back for more.