PDA

View Full Version : Ed Hochuli To be Demoted?

BigBen2112
09-15-2008, 08:13 PM
If the NFL ever gets rid of Mike Carey and Ed Hochuli I think that I might stop watching the sport. These two ref's are two of the best the NFL has had in a LONG time. These two guys consistently get the calls right--mistake happen, but they happen MUCH LESS OFTEN with these two--and they always explain themselves so people know exactly what is going on.

There are 85-90% of the refs in the league worse than these two...I hope that Ed doesn't get affected too much by this.

NFL to give Hochuli lower grades after call in Chargers-Broncos game

Associated Press
Updated: September 15, 2008, 7:25 PM ET

NEW YORK -- Ed Hochuli's acknowledgement that he erred on a call late in Sunday's San Diego Chargers-Denver Broncos game will mean lower grades for one of the NFL's highest-profile referees.

"Officials are held accountable for their calls. They are graded on every play of every game," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Monday. "Ed has been an outstanding official for many years, but he will be marked down for this call. Under our evaluation system, an official's grades impact his status for potentially working the playoffs and ultimately whether or not he is retained."

The play occurred with the Broncos at the Chargers' 1-yard line in the final minute. Denver quarterback Jay Cutler dropped back to pass, and the ball slipped out of his hands, bounced off the grass and into the arms of San Diego linebacker Tim Dobbins.

Hochuli ruled it an incomplete pass. Replay ruled it a fumble, but it was spotted at the 10-yard line, where the ball hit the ground, and given to Denver because the rules did not permit possession to be awarded to San Diego because the whistle had blown.

Denver went on to score, convert a two-point conversion and win 39-38.

The play is also likely to be reviewed in the offseason by the league's competition committee, which normally reviews all controversial plays.

"It's going to require a great deal of discussion," said Titans coach Jeff Fisher, the cochairman of the competition committee. "It's happened at times. It happened in a game against us at Indianapolis years ago. ... When the whistle blows and the pass is ruled incomplete, there's just no way currently that you can award possession."

For example, until March 2007, down-by-contact plays were not reviewable. That rule was changed so that they were reviewable, and if a fumble occurred even after the whistle blew, the team recovering it got possession

San Diego coach Norv Turner said he spoke with NFL officials Monday and that the Chargers sent in video of the plays in question.

"As for things that occurred during the game, in my mind, they're done," Turner said. "We sent the plays in to the league that we had in question. We expect to get a response back. Anything that we talk about or anything that is discussed in terms of any of the rules or any of the calls isn't going to change the outcome of that game. That game is going to be 39-38, forever."

Denver coach Mike Shanahan said honest mistakes always happen in the NFL.

"This was the best crew that we have had in the last 20 crews I have graded," Shanahan said. "They did a heck of a job. Every game that you see that is within a point or a field goal over the last couple years, it may be a call or a non-call that wasn't right, but that is the nature of this game. You have to find a way to win.

"We still had the ball at third-and-10 and had to get it into the end zone. Third-and-10 and then fourth-and-4. We still had to make a two-point conversion," Shanahan said. "It wasn't like somebody gave us the touchdown. You have to go out there and still get it done."

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones wasn't surprised that Hochuli was involved.

"That particular official gets a lot of criticism. He's a highly criticized official in the NFL," Jones said.

"Nothing can be done. I understand that after that whistle blows, you can't speculate, 'Well, did everybody get the best shot at recovering the ball if some of them heard the whistle and some of them didn't?' "

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3589407

Mel Blount's G
09-15-2008, 08:44 PM
I like Ed and it's big of him to step up like he did.

However, he more than anyone should know never ever blow the whistle when in doubt on a loose ball. They are instructed in this manner. If it turns out to NOT be a fumble, it can be brought back. However, as was in this case, review didn't help because he blew the whistle and it cost SD the game. He should be disciplined and made an example of. Be it a fine, demotion or fired.

Yes, him and Mike Carey have also been my favs

AngryAsian
09-15-2008, 10:07 PM
I like Ed and it's big of him to step up like he did.

However, he more than anyone should know never ever blow the whistle when in doubt on a loose ball. They are instructed in this manner. If it turns out to NOT be a fumble, it can be brought back. However, as was in this case, review didn't help because he blew the whistle and it cost SD the game. He should be disciplined and made an example of. Be it a fine, demotion or fired.

Yes, him and Mike Carey have also been my favs

Agreed on all points.

Starlifter
09-16-2008, 12:38 AM
to think that you can somehow find a way to keep official errors out of the game is ridiculous. I think the crews get 99% of the calls right. SD still let the broncos score twice to win the game. Turner is at the podium afterwards calling the mistake unacceptable. oh really? I'd say his entire career as a HC is unacceptable. I'd say the NFL's decision to broadcast his pockmarked face in high def is unacceptable. he's a friggin whiner. I hate ratboy (shanahan), but at least he has some good coaching moments. for the life of me I don't know how turner stays employed......

RuthlessBurgher
09-16-2008, 01:18 AM
Do not make Ed HULKuli angry.

http://images.google.com/url?q=http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/players/01/10/nfl.workout0116/t1_workout.jpg&usg=AFQjCNGINvc86XGdIbMV14EHiLtX8RBGeg

You wouldn't like him when he's angry.

http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/Hochuli-Decapitates.jpg

Ed Hochuli First Down Signal Decapitates Player

AkronSteel
09-16-2008, 01:24 AM
to think that you can somehow find a way to keep official errors out of the game is ridiculous. I think the crews get 99% of the calls right. SD still let the broncos score twice to win the game. Turner is at the podium afterwards calling the mistake unacceptable. oh really? I'd say his entire career as a HC is unacceptable. I'd say the NFL's decision to broadcast his pockmarked face in high def is unacceptable. he's a friggin whiner. I hate ratboy (shanahan), but at least he has some good coaching moments. for the life of me I don't know how turner stays employed......

:Agree

RuthlessBurgher
09-16-2008, 01:35 AM

Those pockmarks are certainly disturbing in HD, but his disgusting neck makes me fear what I could possibly look like in a few decades. Shiver me timbers! (I realize that National Talk Like a Pirate Day isn't until this Friday, but I thought I might get a jump start on these things, ya know?)

Mel Blount's G
09-16-2008, 01:52 AM
Why not refrain from blowing it, let it play out then see if it was a fumble on the replay? That's been the protocol for some time now. I don't agree w/ the 99% correct either

But yeah, Norv is a poor excuse for a coach. But you need to blame the charger FO for running Marty and Wade Phillips out of there in a very unprofessional manner (not that marty's playoff record is exactly stellar but he had put together a team that was damn close to a shot at the big one). The owners/FO in SD are egotistical dumbasses who like to interfere w/ the coaching which marty did not stand for so they screwed him over.

BigBen2112
09-16-2008, 07:59 AM
Why not refrain from blowing it, let it play out then see if it was a fumble on the replay? That's been the protocol for some time now. I don't agree w/ the 99% correct either

But yeah, Norv is a poor excuse for a coach. But you need to blame the charger FO for running Marty and Wade Phillips out of there in a very unprofessional manner (not that marty's playoff record is exactly stellar but he had put together a team that was damn close to a shot at the big one). The owners/FO in SD are egotistical dumbasses who like to interfere w/ the coaching which marty did not stand for so they screwed him over.

Yeah. Ed Hochuli made a mistake that completely was wrong and cost a team the game. That's horrible. If he needs reprimanded for it then fine. BUT...I will reiterate the fact that there are NFL referees that dont do 50% as good as Ed and Mike do. He made a huge mistake and a costly one that may be unforgivable by the Chargers, but this ref has consistently been better than EVERY other ref in the NFL. He has integrity and cares about the game enough to get calls right (and with him and Mike it is 99% of the time) and more than that he calmly explains what is going on to the fans, to the coaches, and to the players. I dont know how some of these other refs even have a job when compared to Mike and Ed...so one screw up? Yeah he should be reprimanded, but when there are BIG games he and Mike Carey better be the two at the top of the list.

Oh and does anyone remember that HORRIBLE call against us STEELERS in the Colts game on the TroyP interception? That guy is still a ref and he still gets to do big games...and that was a horrible call even AFTER REPLAY...and it was in the PLAYOFFS!

Steely76
09-16-2008, 08:43 AM

Yeah. Ed Hochuli made a mistake that completely was wrong and cost a team the game. That's horrible. If he needs reprimanded for it then fine. BUT...I will reiterate the fact that there are NFL referees that dont do 50% as good as Ed and Mike do. He made a huge mistake and a costly one that may be unforgivable by the Chargers, but this ref has consistently been better than EVERY other ref in the NFL. He has integrity and cares about the game enough to get calls right (and with him and Mike it is 99% of the time) and more than that he calmly explains what is going on to the fans, to the coaches, and to the players. I dont know how some of these other refs even have a job when compared to Mike and Ed...so one screw up? Yeah he should be reprimanded, but when there are BIG games he and Mike Carey better be the two at the top of the list.

Oh and does anyone remember that HORRIBLE call against us STEELERS in the Colts game on the TroyP interception? That guy is still a ref and he still gets to do big games...and that was a horrible call even AFTER REPLAY...and it was in the PLAYOFFS!

:Agree

BTW, Jerry Jones is a jackass.

Iron Shiek
09-16-2008, 09:22 AM

Those pockmarks are certainly disturbing in HD, but his disgusting neck makes me fear what I could possibly look like in a few decades. Shiver me timbers! (I realize that National Talk Like a Pirate Day isn't until this Friday, but I thought I might get a jump start on these things, ya know?)

Ha...Talk Like a Pirate Day is sweet. There's websites that give you your pirate name and your pirate ship's name as well....er....that sounds pretty dorky. Never mind.

Anyway, Norv is on his last legs there. But I can't hate on Norv, because he gave us the famous Norv Turner Face (for any Bill Simmons readers). And just this past week, NBC graciously focused in on a new face....The Romeo Crennel face...sweat laden, constipated looking Romeo got a lot of air time and it wasn't pretty.

Ghost
09-16-2008, 11:34 AM
2 things could ensure this situation stopped happening -

1. Make every single call in the last 2 minutes of a game reviewable. Why wouldn't the NFL want a game called correctly at the end - especially if its a call that's game changing? What could be a downside to getting it right?

2. The NFL needs to stop coming up with thousands of reasons why it is NOT a fumble. Its downright ridiculous what they've done to let the offense keep the ball. Hell, they even have different rules when a QB drops the ball vs. a RB dropping the ball :roll:

ikestops85
09-16-2008, 01:23 PM
Cowboys owner Jerry Jones wasn't surprised that Hochuli was involved.

"That particular official gets a lot of criticism. He's a highly criticized official in the NFL," Jones said.

Jerry Jones may be a good businessman but when it comes to football he doesn't have a clue. Ed "Guns" is one of the best in the business. :x

Mel Blount's G
09-16-2008, 01:32 PM
Jerriatric Jones comment really reads "That damn Ed Hochuli never gave us 'boys the biased calls to help us win that most of the other refs in the league have given us. Don't he know we're America's team?"

costanza2k1
09-16-2008, 02:29 PM
Unlike other referees this man came out and said he made a mistake immediately. No cover up whatsoever. He should get rewarded for being a man instead of punished. When is the last time a ref came out and said they made a mistake. I can't remember a single one...Ed is the man in my opinion, he gives thorough descriptions of his calls and rarely makes a mistake in my opinion.

The Chargers can whine all they want but the game shouldn't come down to one play. How about trying to reduce the number of catches Marshall made, that wasn't the refs fault. For an example of how to act during a bad call see the chin telling his defense to move on regardless of the review on Polamalu's int in the Colts playoff game.

BIG FAN
09-16-2008, 04:59 PM

http://images.google.com/url?q=http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/players/01/10/nfl.workout0116/t1_workout.jpg&usg=AFQjCNGINvc86XGdIbMV14EHiLtX8RBGeg

:lol: :lol:

BigBen2112
09-16-2008, 05:06 PM
Update:

Referees association says it stands by Hochuli after botched call

Associated Press
Updated: September 16, 2008, 2:28 PM ET

WYLIE, Texas -- Ed Hochuli received the support of the NFL Referees Association on Tuesday, two days after he botched a call at the end of the San Diego Chargers-Denver Broncos game that allowed the Broncos to keep possession and go on to score the winning points.

"No one feels worse about this than Ed, but like the coaches and players in our high-speed game, mistakes will occur," NFLRA executive director Tim Millis said in a statement.

"The NFLRA stands by Ed Hochuli as a 19-year veteran with multiple Super Bowl and countless playoff game experience who has the integrity and character to admit a mistake and accept the criticism that comes with it."

The crucial call occurred with the Broncos at the Chargers 1-yard-line in the final minute. Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler dropped back to pass, the ball slipped out of his hands, bounced off the grass and into the arms of Chargers linebacker Tim Dobbins.

Hochuli, a former NFLRA president, ruled it an incomplete pass. Replay ruled it a fumble, but it was spotted at the 10, where the ball hit the ground, and given to Denver because the rules did not permit possession to be awarded to San Diego because the whistle had blown.

Denver went on to score a touchdown and a 2-point conversion to win 39-38.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3591227

anger 82&95
09-17-2008, 03:10 PM
Jerriatric Jones comment really reads "That damn Ed Hochuli never gave us 'boys the biased calls to help us win that most of the other refs in the league have given us. Don't he know we're America's team?"$$$ I think the dude’s face-lift has cut off the oxygen to his brain.

AngryAsian
09-17-2008, 04:03 PM

That's fuggin hilarious. LMMFAO!

Lebsteel
09-17-2008, 07:50 PM

I totally agree with you on this one. I've watched many games where Ed has been the ref and he has always seemed to do a great job keeping the game under his control. For those who are saying he should be fired and made an example of, come on...........really, think about what you are saying. How many times did you screw up in your job, just TODAY? I realize he is in a mucher higher profile job than you guys are probably in, but one human mistake that was a literally split second decision certainly does not warrant being fired. Now, if he would have walked over to Norv Turner and punched him in the face, that might have been grounds for being fired.....

Ozey74
09-17-2008, 08:01 PM
I totally agree with you on this one. I've watched many games where Ed has been the ref and he has always seemed to do a great job keeping the game under his control. For those who are saying he should be fired and made an example of, come on...........really, think about what you are saying. How many times did you screw up in your job, just TODAY?

Spot on Leb! :Agree

buckeyehoppy
09-17-2008, 08:10 PM
Great support of a great ref from Steeler Universe! :tt1

Eddie "Guns" Hochuli made a mistake with a call in a game. Gee, let's think of it this way: did the sun rise in San Diego the next day? If your answer was "yes"...you would be correct.

Norv Turner isn't a NFL Head Football Coach...He is a career moron and whiner who hasn't won a turd trophy in a $#!++!ng contest...much less a SB. What a d!ckhead!

Mel Blount's G
09-17-2008, 08:23 PM

I totally agree with you on this one. I've watched many games where Ed has been the ref and he has always seemed to do a great job keeping the game under his control. For those who are saying he should be fired and made an example of, come on...........really, think about what you are saying. How many times did you screw up in your job, just TODAY? I realize he is in a mucher higher profile job than you guys are probably in, but one human mistake that was a literally split second decision certainly does not warrant being fired. Now, if he would have walked over to Norv Turner and punched him in the face, that might have been grounds for being fired.....
As super-cool as Ed is, I feel I need to hold him to the same standards as other refs. They have been trained and instructed for some time now to not blow the whistle when in doubt. This should be something they get together and talk about before every game. If that had really been an incomplete pass by Cutler, and Ed had NOT blown the whistle, it could have been easily corrected - outcome of game not effected. They know this. It's been standard practice for a few years now because this has happened before.

Imagine my boss told me that if I thought someone was stealing money from his company that I should never blow the whistle on this person unless I was 100% positive and had evidence to prove it. Imagine this was the company policy for years and we held periodic meetings to talk about it, watched films on it and drove the point home. But then one day I THOUGHT I saw a guy stealing, I went to the authorities and had this guy arrested and then it turns out he wasn't actually stealing money. But it turns out the guy's reputation and career were damaged permanently, it leaves an ugly scar on the image of the company and the boss fires me because I didn't follow standard company protocol.

I don't want Ed fired really. However, I think he should be fined or suspended? Like a player who hit someone late even though he didn't mean it? Maybe it will help other refs hesitate with that whistle on the next loose ball. Which is the point here. That refs do not blow the whistle on any loose ball in which there's a .05 chance it's a legit fumble.

Punching Norv in the face would have been grounds for making him a Presidential candidate

RuthlessBurgher
09-17-2008, 08:37 PM
Punching Norv in the face would have been grounds for making him a Presidential candidate

I don't care who you are, that's funny right there. :lol:

buckeyehoppy
09-17-2008, 08:41 PM

Dude! If you punch Norv Turner in the pu$$, does it improve his looks?

Inquiring minds want to know...

RuthlessBurgher
09-17-2008, 08:44 PM

I wouldn't recommend punching Norv in the pu$$. That would be below the belt. :lol:

buckeyehoppy
09-17-2008, 10:17 PM

I wouldn't recommend punching Norv in the pu$$. That would be below the belt. :lol:

Dude! Maybe I dated the word "pu$$" a little. At one time, it did mean "face".

Either way, your point is well taken. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ozey74
09-17-2008, 10:25 PM

One time I saw a Leave it to Beaver episode and the word "pu$$" was said when they were talking about a face. It was funny as hell!!

RuthlessBurgher
09-17-2008, 11:57 PM

One time I saw a Leave it to Beaver episode and the word "pu$$" was said when they were talking about a face. It was funny as hell!!

Was it the "Beaver" who said "pu$$"? Talk about a double entendre!

sd steel
09-18-2008, 02:01 AM
Two things, first being Ed lives his off seasons in San Diego as an attorney (I think) so he has to kiss alot of ass, second Mike Perrira (sp) said that, believe it or not, the whistle was not a factor in the call and Ed had it wrong. Mike (head of the NFL Officials), said that although a whistle was blown it means nothing. Ed should have seen the replay and said Chargers ball , whistle or not. Basically Mike said officials know that an inadvertent whistle has nothing to do with the play or the play call. The problem was that Ed, 18+ year vet, should know that, and should have fixed the call. Either the NFL is throwing him under the bus, or truly the whistle doesn't mean a thing.

By the way, I was happy as hell to see the Chargers go 0-2! :Cheers