PDA

View Full Version : O-line better without Faneca?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-15-2008, 06:22 PM
Now don't have a cow, but Faneca doesn't seem to be doing any better in NY than a) he did here last year, or b) Hartwig is doing here this year. Just ask Brett!

I'm glad we have Hartwig this year and not Faneca.

Les 74
09-15-2008, 06:42 PM
Now don't have a cow, but Faneca doesn't seem to be doing any better in NY than a) he did here last year, or b) Hartwig is doing here this year. Just ask Brett!

Kinda hard to make that assessment when they play different positions.Now if you were to say Hartwig over Mahan,then I would agree.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-15-2008, 06:50 PM
Yeah, sorry I wasn't being really clear here ... what I guess I was trying to say is that I think the O-line is better this year without Faneca than with, they're playing half decent now, and I like the direction it seems like they're going in. They somehow seem more of a unit, if that makes any sense.

SteelerOfDeVille
09-15-2008, 06:53 PM

Kinda hard to make that assessment when they play different positions.Now if you were to say Hartwig over Mahan,then I would agree.
Apparently Hartwig+Kemo > Mahan+Faneca

Jom112
09-15-2008, 07:07 PM
Hartwig over Mahan is the primary reason you're O-Line is vastly improved from last season. That's not to discredit the job that Kemo has been doing for you guys thus far.

I was one of those people that thought losing Faneca would hurt your run game but Kemo has looked stellar in that aspect of the game. I haven't paid much attention to his pass blocking so I can't comment on that but it couldn't be any worse than Faneca's was the last couple of seasons. As for Faneca, he actually has been looking good in run and pass blocking this season. Patriots game aside, where almost everyone on the Jets offense looked bad...

Oviedo
09-15-2008, 09:31 PM
Better without Faneca--yes. Just like many predicted. Offensive Guard is one of the easiest positions to replace someone which is why you don't pay ridiculous amounts of money.

SteelTorch
09-15-2008, 09:55 PM
Hartwig over Mahan is the primary reason you're O-Line is vastly improved from last season. That's not to discredit the job that Kemo has been doing for you guys thus far.

I was one of those people that thought losing Faneca would hurt your run game but Kemo has looked stellar in that aspect of the game. I haven't paid much attention to his pass blocking so I can't comment on that but it couldn't be any worse than Faneca's was the last couple of seasons. As for Faneca, he actually has been looking good in run and pass blocking this season. Patriots game aside, where almost everyone on the Jets offense looked bad...
Well, this would be a case of, oh, what's that phrase...? Oh yeah,

I told you so! :wink:

Remember this the next time you guys make fun of us for releasing an aging vet. :moon

AngryAsian
09-15-2008, 11:33 PM
This line is most definitely playing better without Big Red. I think Kemo looked stellar... especially pulling to the outside. Willie has two back to back 100+ yard games and 3 TDs. I think that in itself merits some early season props.

Jom112
09-16-2008, 12:20 AM

Remember this the next time you guys make fun of us for releasing an aging vet. :moon

Don't pat yourself on the back there too much, this is what you were saying in the offseason:

I'm excited for the Steelers next season, though. Assuming both Mend and Sweed pan out, our offensive weapons are even more dynamic than ever. Thanks to Woodley, Timmons, and maybe Davis, our pass rush could also be even better.

As with last year, the only huge question mark is the O-line. Whether they'll be able to protect Ben for more than 1.5 seconds remains to be seen.

The D-line is getting old too, but as of right now, it's not a problem yet. I think we still have time to fix that.

http://boards.bengals.com/showthread.ph ... light=mend (http://boards.bengals.com/showthread.php?t=21440&highlight=mend)

How about those "I told you" so's ST? You stated you had no clue how the O-Line would do, so don't act like you knew they were going to get the job done without Faneca.

Stating Faneca isn't worth the money everyone knew...

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-16-2008, 09:49 AM
Well, I for one will pat myself on the back. I did a thread, probably on the trib site, giving ab out 2 reasons why the O line could regress, but about 10 reasons why it should improve. Other positives include:

Marvel healthy this year
team's second year in the ZB system
Hartwig in (which counts as two pluses because it also means Mahan out :lol: )
Colon's second year as a starter
No more Faneca distractions

I forget what else, but I was optimistic that the loss of Faneca would be outweighed by the positives.

Oviedo
09-16-2008, 10:08 AM
Well, I for one will pat myself on the back. I did a thread, probably on the trib site, giving ab out 2 reasons why the O line could regress, but about 10 reasons why it should improve. Other positives include:

Marvel healthy this year
team's second year in the ZB system
Hartwig in (which counts as two pluses because it also means Mahan out :lol: )
Colon's second year as a starter
No more Faneca distractions

I forget what else, but I was optimistic that the loss of Faneca would be outweighed by the positives.

I agree 100%. There is a growth process occurring on the OL which is natural with a new coach and system.

IMO Faneca was a malcontent because he knew his strengths were better suited for the old system that Cowher and Grimm used versus what Coach Z was trying to do.

Also, like I said it is easier to replace a OG on the OL than any of the other positions.

SteelTorch
09-16-2008, 03:53 PM

Don't pat yourself on the back there too much, this is what you were saying in the offseason:

I'm excited for the Steelers next season, though. Assuming both Mend and Sweed pan out, our offensive weapons are even more dynamic than ever. Thanks to Woodley, Timmons, and maybe Davis, our pass rush could also be even better.

As with last year, the only huge question mark is the O-line. Whether they'll be able to protect Ben for more than 1.5 seconds remains to be seen.

The D-line is getting old too, but as of right now, it's not a problem yet. I think we still have time to fix that.

http://boards.bengals.com/showthread.ph ... light=mend (http://boards.bengals.com/showthread.php?t=21440&highlight=mend)

How about those "I told you" so's ST? You stated you had no clue how the O-Line would do, so don't act like you knew they were going to get the job done without Faneca.

Stating Faneca isn't worth the money everyone knew...
Woah woah, hold on a minute there. I said the O-line was a big question mark (for good reasons), but I didn't say it would be weaker like many were predicting. In fact sometimes I gave several reasons as to why it might be better, to the criticism and jokes of many Bengals fans. :wink:

The Bengals fans were the ones predicting the O-line would be a revolving door and that Faneca leaving spelled certain doom for the entire team. :nono

And seriously, how on earth can you remember and dig up all these posts? :shock: I swear I don't even remember half the stuff I post.

AngryAsian
09-17-2008, 08:09 AM
I agree 100%. There is a growth process occurring on the OL which is natural with a new coach and system.

IMO Faneca was a malcontent because he knew his strengths were better suited for the old system that Cowher and Grimm used versus what Coach Z was trying to do.

Also, like I said it is easier to replace a OG on the OL than any of the other positions.

That's what I couldn't figure out last year, on how people were expecting miracles with our line. Synergy is the single most important element in an OL's success. How can you achieve that when you're constantly inserting new pieces into the puzzle. Mix that with your statement about Faneca's skillset. Absolutely, he was better suited for the old system and couldn't adapt or buy into the Steeler's new offense. I see he's having great success thus far in NY. I think Kemo is doing an outstanding job as a starter.

frankthetank1
09-17-2008, 08:17 AM
the addition of hartwig has been the biggest factor to the improved o-line. its not fair to say the line is better without faneca. if the steelers had faneca this season next to hartwig i bet we would have the same results, only they would be paying faneca max starks's money

kennyes
09-17-2008, 06:04 PM

Apparently Hartwig+Kemo > Mahan+Faneca

A bit early but it's beginning to look that way. Faneca was great but the organization made the right decision. He's on the downside + too much$$$ + disgruntled locker room
presence = bad. Starks on the other hand I'm not sure what they are thinking unless they have eventual plans on replacing Marvel with Max. Hartwig is step up from Mahan and a step and a half up from Chucky Cheese...

Hopefully, they can find talent for both sides of the lines in next years draft. Other than a little help in the secondary we'll be fine with a little luck. Sorry to ramble. :wink:

NorthCoast
09-17-2008, 08:33 PM
IT IS A CLASSIC CASE OF ADDITION BY SUBTRACTION!

Losing AF made us better, period. He did not want to be in Pittsburgh the last couple of years and it showed in his play.

buckeyehoppy
09-17-2008, 09:10 PM
There was no upside to resigning Faneca. He's aging. He created acrimony in the club house. Even if they signed him instead of Max Sucks, that wouldn't have solved anything. Kemo would still be on the bench.

The addition of Hartwig and plugging in Kemo to replace Faneca has improved this line and probably improves Colon who is still learning the ropes. Smith and Simmons are known commodities. We all knew what we had with those two.

The learning curve is another year further along and the OL is the last place to conduct a chemistry experiment. That said, they will have to address Smith's pending exit at the very least and then some in the coming off-season. That will involve a FA pickup and a first day draft pick.

Faneca is in a great situation in New York. He's the mentor for a young and improving line who can mask the growing flaws that he has in his own game at this point in his career. He's been around forever, and I am comfortable in the knowledge that the Steelers have added another player to the long list of FA exiters that the Steelers got their best play from.

SteelTorch
09-17-2008, 10:09 PM
IT IS A CLASSIC CASE OF ADDITION BY SUBTRACTION!

Losing AF made us better, period. He did not want to be in Pittsburgh the last couple of years and it showed in his play.
His name is mud now in Pittsburgh, at least it should be. He publicly spit in the face of the organization and was a disruptive dipwad behind the scenes.

And yet, he still gets a lot of love at the Trib board. :lol:

buckeyehoppy
09-18-2008, 04:31 PM
I'm not a Faneca hater, even though he could have been more professional his last year or two as a Steeler.

I'm not so sure that he has the legs anymore to carry the LG load and I think that will become evident during the course of his deal in NY. The Jets may just unload him before his contract is up because the younger guys will have gleaned as much as they could from him at that point. The Jets line has a fair amount of young talented guys and they will more than likely carry Faneca more often than not.

That said, Alan Faneca's contribution to the Steelers was large. He was the premier down lineman in the league at his position for several years. Despite how everything ended, I am grateful for Faneca's contributions to the Steelers