PDA

View Full Version : late hit

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-15-2008, 08:55 AM
Which hit came later after the ball was released?

The Woodley hit on Anderson, or the Rogers hit on Ben?

The difference in the hits is that Woodley went through DA and took him down, but Rogers' hit was so hard that he drilled Ben and knocked him down.

But as for timing, DA has just released the ball and gets hit during his follow through. Ben had released the ball and his arm was down at his side when he got hit. How was that not flagged?

frankthetank1
09-15-2008, 08:59 AM
i agree both were bad calls. i was very angry

RussBII
09-15-2008, 09:30 AM

Here's the flummoxing aspect of it:

They were bad calls in EXACTLY the opposite way. If you're gonna call one you have to call the other in my opinion. Rogers CLEARLY stepped into that hit.. and his head was down... It was like someone yelled "BUFFET'S OPEN" and Ben was in his way.... not cool.

If that shoulder winds up derailing our season I'm gonna be filled with even more rage for cleveland...

BigBen2112
09-15-2008, 09:37 AM

They were bad calls in EXACTLY the opposite way. If you're gonna call one you have to call the other in my opinion. Rogers CLEARLY stepped into that hit.. and his head was down... It was like someone yelled "BUFFET'S OPEN" and Ben was in his way.... not cool.

If that shoulder winds up derailing our season I'm gonna be filled with even more rage for cleveland...

With what was said by Cleveland over the week about hitting Ben...Rodgers SHOULD be fined at LEAST.

Ghost
09-15-2008, 11:47 AM
Not only was it not flagged but niether Michaels or Madden said word one about it, even after it was replaid from a different angle and you could see rogers purposely go after the throwing shoulder. It wasn't worth a mention - he took 2 full steps.

Discipline of Steel
09-15-2008, 12:04 PM
Woodley's was questionable because he followed through on a motion that started while DA still had the ball. Rogers hit was deliberate and malicious. He did take two full, unnecessary steps, and appeared to aim for the shoulder. That was a missed call. Best we can do is hope Karma catches up with his fat azz.

RuthlessBurgher
09-15-2008, 12:05 PM
Woodley's was questionable because he followed through on a motion that started while DA still had the ball. Rogers hit was deliberate and malicious. He did take two full, unnecessary steps, and appeared to aim for the shoulder. That was a missed call. Best we can do is hope Karma catches up with his fat azz.

I thought it was appropriate that Cribbs got his bell rung by Harrison one play after the Rogers late hit on Ben.

Discipline of Steel
09-15-2008, 01:17 PM
True, I cringed on that one, it was serious. Harrison is always doling out the 'serious' hits on special teams. Ask Ed Reed. Still, Cribbs never did anyone wrong, and I wouldnt call Harrison out of line either. My karma would be something like Rogers getting cut block when they play the Broncos. Wonder if he'd cry to the media...cheap shot artists (cept Rodney Harrison) are usually the first to complain.

phillyesq
09-15-2008, 01:46 PM

With what was said by Cleveland over the week about hitting Ben...Rodgers SHOULD be fined at LEAST.

:Agree

Personally, I didn't have a big problem with the Woodley late hit call. I didn't like it, it could have gone either way, but I understand that refs tend to err on the side of protecting the qb. And that is why the Rodgers non-call was so outrageous.

He was clearly late -- a full two steps -- and clearly trying to injure Big Ben. My girlfriend, who was watching the game with me, learned some new obscenities after the hit and the non-call. :lol:

I really hope the league reviews this one and fines Rodgers. Heavily.

Mel Blount's G
09-15-2008, 01:54 PM
Wood let up on DA and didn't try and drive him into the ground after he had him wrapped up imo

Big baby threw his shoulder into ben's when he could have let up and not even touched him imo

Silverback stuck cribbs in a perfectly clean hit. I'd love to see a replay/mpg of that hit. Like someone else alluded to, other teams should pay attention on punts/kicks when harrison is on the prowl because he will knock you out

Starlifter
09-15-2008, 02:43 PM
Rogers deliberately went after Ben's throwing shoulder. It was a blatant cheap shot. madden should have mentioned it but he was probably too busy wiping favres man-juice off his chin. I shudder to say it, but if this was an NFL network game and Chrissy was doing the color - I think he would have jumped all over it. Over the past couple of years I'm starting to think he is the best guy out there. now of course, i feel dirty - so i must punish myself.......

SteelTorch
09-15-2008, 02:57 PM

Personally, I didn't have a big problem with the Woodley late hit call. I didn't like it, it could have gone either way, but I understand that refs tend to err on the side of protecting the qb. And that is why the Rodgers non-call was so outrageous.

He was clearly late -- a full two steps -- and clearly trying to injure Big Ben. My girlfriend, who was watching the game with me, learned some new obscenities after the hit and the non-call. :lol:

F*** yeah.

Heck, start sending emails to the league and Goodell. We shouldn't let this kind of BS go unpunished. Even if he doesn't do a damn thing about it, at least we'd be doing something instead of sitting around complaining.

Iron Shiek
09-15-2008, 03:31 PM
Silverback stuck cribbs in a perfectly clean hit. I'd love to see a replay/mpg of that hit. Like someone else alluded to, other teams should pay attention on punts/kicks when harrison is on the prowl because he will knock you out

Hence the Deebo nickname. Deebo takes what Deebo wants. In this case, Deebo takes your health

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-15-2008, 03:46 PM
Honestly, the Woodley hit could have gone either way. Yes, it was not very late, but the way this game is officiated it is not a big shock either way.

However, did you hear the explanation by the ref? Something like "He picked him up and drove him to the ground". I was expecting the replay to show something like Harrison on the Browns' fan from a few years ago. :lol: Instead I saw a follow through that was nowhere near as violent as it sounded.

But how can Rogers' hit not be called? Regardless of the 15 yearder earlier, that is a personal foul under any circumstance!

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-15-2008, 03:49 PM
Honestly, the Woodley hit could have gone either way. Yes, it was not very late, but the way this game is officiated it is not a big shock either way.

However, did you hear the explanation by the ref? Something like "He picked him up and drove him to the ground". I was expecting the replay to show something like Harrison on the Browns' fan from a few years ago. :lol: Instead I saw a follow through that was nowhere near as violent as it sounded.

But how can Rogers' hit not be called? Regardless of the 15 yearder earlier, that is a personal foul under any circumstance!

stlrz d
09-15-2008, 09:43 PM

F*** yeah.

Heck, start sending emails to the league and Goodell. We shouldn't let this kind of BS go unpunished. Even if he doesn't do a damn thing about it, at least we'd be doing something instead of sitting around complaining.

Call him. 212.450.2027. That's really his number.