PDA

View Full Version : Oviedo's Week #2 Truisms

Oviedo
09-15-2008, 07:50 AM
These "truths" I have articulated in the past seem to hold for Week #2:

1. The Steelers will win the AFC North by minimum 2 games
2. The Browns are nothing more than pretenders and will struggle to win 8 games
3. Derek Anderson is a fraud. As I also have said, add David Garrard in Jacksonville to that list.
4. The Bumgals are horrible and Carson Palmer is one of the most over rated QBs in the NFL.
5. The Pats will win the AFC East because there is little competition. The Bills do over hope to knock them off.
6. The Titans will be a tough road game for us.
7. Brett Kiesel is underappreciated by Steeler fans and when he went out the Browns attacked that side of the line with the running game with some success.
8. The OL will be fine this year and do the job they need to. Add to that Kemo will make us forget Alan "Whatever his name was." We need to resign Kemo and tag Marvel.

frankthetank1
09-15-2008, 07:59 AM
all very true. i do think the bills will win the east though, and kiesel is very under valued. i really hope his injury is minor. kirschke is a good back up, but he is a guy to fill in now and then not to start. so far so good with injuries

Oviedo
09-15-2008, 08:13 AM
Forgot one:

9. Nate Washington will never make a tough catch even if his life depended on it. Would we really lose anything with Sweed in the line up getting experience? Willie Reid should still be on this team.

stlrz d
09-15-2008, 08:15 AM
Forgot one:

9. Nate Washington will never make a tough catch even if his life depended on it. Would we really lose anything with Sweed in the line up getting experience? Willie Reid should still be on this team.

If you watch the replay you'll see the ball was at the DBs feet. Had it been a foot higher it likely would have been picked. It was low and behind Nate.

I'm not saying Nate isn't to blame for some things that happen, but the play you're referring to was not his fault in the least.

frankthetank1
09-15-2008, 08:16 AM
Forgot one:

are you talking about the bad throw in the 1st quarter? it looked like the wind knocked that down. no way any wr would make that catch. im not huge on nate but i havent seen him drop any catches so far this season

papillon
09-15-2008, 09:04 AM
Nate, like other Steelers that seem to be criticized relentlessly will make plays that help this team win football games this year. It's part of being a Steeler, by now, we should all realize that the coaching staff knows what they are doing. I have been critical of some coaches (Ligashevsky in particular), but, you know what? The Steelers are playing good football right now and players that we all thought were useless, washed up or not very good are proving to be anything but.

Tomlin may have some in game management mistakes to work on, but, as of right now, I'm sold on this guy. He knows what he wants to accomplish and the players he needs to get it done. They may not be the ones we want or like, but, they are performing for him at a high level right now.

Pappy

frankthetank1
09-15-2008, 09:10 AM
Nate, like other Steelers that seem to be criticized relentlessly will make plays that help this team win football games this year. It's part of being a Steeler, by now, we should all realize that the coaching staff knows what they are doing. I have been critical of some coaches (Ligashevsky in particular), but, you know what? The Steelers are playing good football right now and players that we all thought were useless, washed up or not very good are proving to be anything but.

Tomlin may have some in game management mistakes to work on, but, as of right now, I'm sold on this guy. He knows what he wants to accomplish and the players he needs to get it done. They may not be the ones we want or like, but, they are performing for him at a high level right now.

Pappy

i agree 100%. before the season started i criticized kiesel and the o-line a lot but they are playing awsome so far. i love tomlin he gets a lot out of average players. they are playing very good football, if they can keep it up this team will go very far. you really cant ask more of a second year coach. even arians is calling great games. where was that last year? hartwig is a huge up grade from mahan. imagine if mahan still started. rogers would of had 4 sacks. the st's so far has been awsome!! they have improved a great deal. miller has also improved his blocking a good deal

RuthlessBurgher
09-15-2008, 10:59 AM
Forgot one:

Nate didn't drop any passes. Hines dropped 2 that hit him square in the hands, plus another that would have been a tough fingertip catch that he couldn't bring in. I don't know if you were just assuming that the 86 was an 85 there in a couple of those instances or what.

RuthlessBurgher
09-15-2008, 11:12 AM
8. The OL will be fine this year and do the job they need to. Add to that Kemo will make us forget Alan "Whatever his name was." We need to resign Kemo and tag Marvel.

I really liked seeing Kemo pushing Rogers off to the side about 5 yards to open up a hole for Willie. He also looked good as a pulling guard, leading Willie to the outside. It was funny seeing Simmons pulling and doing a somersault over the DB that wanted no part of him.

On the one deep pass to Willie down the sideline, I don't think I have ever seen Ben have that much time in the pocket with absolutely no thread of a rush from anywhere.

AngryAsian
09-15-2008, 12:55 PM
This OL has been playing better than anticipated. People and a lot of the fans really criticized Tomlin and the FO for not addressing the OL needs as an imperative in the offseason. I think thus far we can see the rationale for their decisions this past summer. I'm not saying that we have an All-Star caliber line, but we seem to be playing with more cohesion and effort. As for the skill positions that are tabled for discussion (WR). I wanted Reid on this team, I think he would of been a great slot receiver for us and the comparisons to Nate is expected. Do I think Nate could of made some plays for us.... yes, but I'm noted for being hyper-critical about Nate. I just think that we really had some plays that could been huge for us if we could of only capitalized on them. Against the top tiered teams we can't miss those opportunities regardless of weather conditions.... this criticism includes Hines' drops.

I don't care if we win ugly, so long as we win.

SteelTorch
09-15-2008, 01:12 PM
Speaking of O-line...does anyone have a photoshop picture making fun of Faneca and money? Like maybe a photo of him eyeing a big moneybag, or something like that; sort of similar to the Starks one I saw earlier? :D I could think of plenty of uses for it.

RuthlessBurgher
09-15-2008, 01:36 PM
Speaking of O-line...does anyone have a photoshop picture making fun of Faneca and money? Like maybe a photo of him eyeing a big moneybag, or something like that; sort of similar to the Starks one I saw earlier? :D I could think of plenty of uses for it.

Who is this "Faneca" that you speak of? Never heard of him. :wink:

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-15-2008, 01:45 PM
i agree 100%. before the season started i criticized kiesel and the o-line a lot but they are playing awsome so far. i love tomlin he gets a lot out of average players. they are playing very good football, if they can keep it up this team will go very far. you really cant ask more of a second year coach. even arians is calling great games. where was that last year? hartwig is a huge up grade from mahan. imagine if mahan still started. rogers would of had 4 sacks. the st's so far has been awsome!! they have improved a great deal. miller has also improved his blocking a good deal

I think you answered your own question in the next sentence. It is tough to gameplan an offense when you never know if your QB will still be standing 3 seconds after the snap.

Going into the year, the consensus two biggest issues on this team were:

1) O-line - Faced two pretty good and very different fronts. Houston is a team with a strong edge rush while Cleveland is a team with big bodies that get pressure up the middle. Whether or not you think the O-line has been great, it has to be clear that they are not the same glaring weakness that they were last year.

2) ST coverage - 180 degree turnaround. Faced two very tough tests so far and have come up very solid.

Steel Life
09-15-2008, 08:42 PM
Forgot one:

Jeez O...just cut it out. Obviously the coaches have a different opinion - Sweed's inactive becasue HE can't hang onto the ball & Reid now resides on the Eagles practice squad because in three seasons he didn't do squat. As for Nate, neither one of the two passes thrown his way were "catchable", while Hines missed two that he makes routinely.

You want some real WR catching issues?...check out the Browns message boards skewering Braylon & Winslow.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-15-2008, 09:28 PM
Forgot one:

Jeez O...just cut it out. Obviously the coaches have a different opinion - Sweed's inactive becasue HE can't hang onto the ball & Reid now resides on the Eagles practice squad because in three seasons he didn't do squat. As for Nate, neither one of the two passes thrown his way were "catchable", while Hines missed two that he makes routinely.

You want some real WR catching issues?...check out the Browns message boards skewering Braylon & Winslow.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Glad we're not Cleveland fans this AM!

RuthlessBurgher
09-16-2008, 01:45 AM
Forgot one:

Or Seahawk WR's, for that matter. They've lost Engram, Branch, Burleson, Obomanu, Payne, and Wallace to injuries. Nothing like starting your 7th and 8th string WR's. I'm sure Oviedo is writing an anonymous letter to Holmgren about a certain WR from Tiffin that the Seahawks might want to trade for so that we can sign Willie Reid off the Eagles' practice squad to our active roster.
:wink:

Oviedo
09-16-2008, 07:51 AM
Forgot one:

Or Seahawk WR's, for that matter. They've lost Engram, Branch, Burleson, Obomanu, Payne, and Wallace to injuries. Nothing like starting your 7th and 8th string WR's. I'm sure Oviedo is writing an anonymous letter to Holmgren about a certain WR from Tiffin that the Seahawks might want to trade for so that we can sign Willie Reid off the Eagles' practice squad to our active roster.
:wink:

Already done :stirpot :stirpot :stirpot

ikestops85
09-16-2008, 05:06 PM
im not huge on nate but i havent seen him drop any catches so far this season

Then you missed Lefty hitting him between the 8 and the 5 on a long ball last week.

Flasteel
09-16-2008, 10:04 PM
These "truths" I have articulated in the past seem to hold for Week #2:

1. The Steelers will win the AFC North by minimum 2 games
Agree and have agreed.

2. The Browns are nothing more than pretenders and will struggle to win 8 games
See above response.

3. Derek Anderson is a fraud. As I also have said, add David Garrard in Jacksonville to that list.
I agree on Anderson, but I thought Garrard would be far better than this. It's hard to repeat the success that he had last year, but I thought he'd be close. So far looks like I'm wrong.

4. The Bumgals are horrible and Carson Palmer is one of the most over rated QBs in the NFL.
Hard to explain what's going on with Palmer...there's no way he's this bad.

5. The Pats will win the AFC East because there is little competition. The Bills do over hope to knock them off. Ironically I picked the Pats unless Brady were to go down, then I went with the Bills. Since Brady has in fact gone down, I'm sticking with the Bills.

6. The Titans will be a tough road game for us. Unless VY gets back in the line-up. :lol:

7. Brett Kiesel is underappreciated by Steeler fans and when he went out the Browns attacked that side of the line with the running game with some success.
I ragged on Kiesel as much as anyone as far as the running game goes. I do remember one decent run by Lewis in that direction after he went down, but I can't recall if they had anything remotely close to success. I have seen a difference in Kiesel's game so far however and I think you may be right on this.

I don't think slapping the franchise tag on anyone is the way we do things, but it does make sense if he holds up. Kemo is a no-brainer in my opinion.

fordfixer
09-16-2008, 10:19 PM
Forgot one:

I don't know about you but I'm always glad I'm not a Cleveland fan. :lol: