PDA

View Full Version : pass rush?

frankthetank1
09-15-2008, 07:30 AM
where the he$$ was it last night? they didnt blitz half as much last night as week 1. even when they did they werent putting much pressure on da. im amazed how well the secondary played with the lack of pass rush. they cant give mcnabb the time that da had last night

Oviedo
09-15-2008, 07:41 AM
It looked like the defense wanted to stop the run first and force Anderson to beat them throwing the ball and flooded the passing lanes. Also don't underestimate that the Browns have a very good OL. They probably felt with the conditions he would not be able to throw long and wanted to force him to throw short into coverage. It worked, but I agree there appeared to be very little blitzing. Saving it for McNabb.

stlrz d
09-15-2008, 07:48 AM
where the he$$ was it last night? they didnt blitz half as much last night as week 1. even when they did they werent putting much pressure on da. im amazed how well the secondary played with the lack of pass rush. they cant give mcnabb the time that da had last night

Frank, you can type hell on this board. :D

frankthetank1
09-15-2008, 08:04 AM

Frank, you can type hell on this board. :D

haha really? i didnt think you could i mean the edit dick lebeau for cryin out loud. my bad :lol:

papillon
09-15-2008, 08:25 AM
While the Steelers only registered two sacks (I think) by Aaron Smith and they were coverage sacks more or less, anderson never really looked comfortable in the pocket. He played as if he expected to be hurried, harrassed and hit. The secondary played well and helped the pass rush out last night.

That's why football is the ultimate team game, when one unit falters a bit your teammates can pick you up and the secondary played good last night. What we fail to realize on occasion is that the other team's actually are trying to stop you from doing what you want to do and they're professional football players.

So, Woodley and Harrison had off nights, the Browns O-line isn't a bunch of rag tag football players. Farrior played big, the three down linmen played big and the secondary played big; the Steelers won and now it's on to Philly.

Even HOFers had bad games, Lawrence Taylor, Lambert, Singletary, etc. you aren't going to dominate every game in the NFL.

Pappy

frankthetank1
09-15-2008, 08:34 AM
While the Steelers only registered two sacks (I think) by Aaron Smith and they were coverage sacks more or less, anderson never really looked comfortable in the pocket. He played as if he expected to be hurried, harrassed and hit. The secondary played well and helped the pass rush out last night.

That's why football is the ultimate team game, when one unit falters a bit your teammates can pick you up and the secondary played good last night. What we fail to realize on occasion is that the other team's actually are trying to stop you from doing what you want to do and they're professional football players.

So, Woodley and Harrison had off nights, the Browns O-line isn't a bunch of rag tag football players. Farrior played big, the three down linmen played big and the secondary played big; the Steelers won and now it's on to Philly.

Even HOFers had bad games, Lawrence Taylor, Lambert, Singletary, etc. you aren't going to dominate every game in the NFL.

Pappy

thats a good point. i remember some off games by lt. maybe i just expect too much from harrison and woodley. harrison did play very well though, he had to have at least 5 tackles. im shocked at how well the secondary played. the browns passing game is very good. troy did an excellent job on winslow

SteelerNation1
09-15-2008, 10:03 AM
With the wind being what it was, I think it was in the gameplan to force DA to beat the Steelers with his arm. The Clowns only allowed 14 (or so) sacks last year after week 1. They just don't give up many.

RuthlessBurgher
09-15-2008, 10:16 AM
With the wind being what it was, I think it was in the gameplan to force DA to beat the Steelers with his arm. The Clowns only allowed 14 (or so) sacks last year after week 1. They just don't give up many.

They gave up an average of 1 sack per game last season. Aaron Smith got Anderson down twice last night.

Ben was sacked an average of 3 sacks per game last season. Cleveland got him down 3 times last night.

It was about what was expected. No surprises there. We got enough pressure on Anderson to rattle him.

costanza2k1
09-15-2008, 11:19 AM
I believe this is what the man calls situational football. The gameplan shouldn't be the same every week for offense or defense it should depend on the situation. Too much wind = bad day for passing so why not force the opposing QB to pass?

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-15-2008, 01:25 PM
I agree that the lack of pressure was a scheme thing. While DA wasn't hurried, he did not have all day. The Steelers sent their linemen and did get some pressure.

Interesting the unbalanced line that Cleveland uses. I wonder if they alaways do or if it was somehow used more for this game and putting Thomas against Woodley.

How many times did you see them throw a ten yard pass and Woodley or Harrison was involved in the coverage? What DL seemed to be saying was that we won't let you run, and I don't think that DA has the arm to fight this wind.

2 sacks, 4 sacks, 10 sacks...who cares. We gave up only 6 points to a high octane O. Seattle sacked J.T. O' Sullivan 8 times, gave up 33 points (7 by the D) and lost. I'll take 2 sacks against a better offense who scores no TDs and a win any day.

ANPSTEEL
09-15-2008, 01:36 PM
per NFLN-

against the cowboys, the browns were running a lot of the unbalance formations- also, they were going max protection on most passing plays-

it looked like they were doing more of the same last night.