PDA

View Full Version : Is Crennel the stupidest coach to every roam the sidelines?

LasVegasGuy
09-15-2008, 12:22 AM
Does this guy even get it? Down 7 and kicks a field goal to be down by 4 after driving nearly 80 yards. Either way if you don't make a 1st down on 4th and 3 you still need a touchdown if you kick a field goal.

I can't possibly see him back next year. Way to go Browns. Way to give an extension to a lame duck coach.

Mel Blount's G
09-15-2008, 12:25 AM
He has stiff competition from his predecessor. Together they could challenge a sack of hammers...
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/sioncampus/10/23/college/p1_butchdavis.jpg

LasVegasGuy
09-15-2008, 12:31 AM
He has stiff competition from his predecessor. Together they could challenge a sack of hammers...
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/sioncampus/10/23/college/p1_butchdavis.jpg

Good Point. But it wasn't just this game didn't Crennel screw the last game up as well? Does he learn by his mistakes or does he just keep making them over and over again?

SteelTorch
09-15-2008, 12:35 AM
Does this guy even get it? Down 7 and kicks a field goal to be down by 4 after driving nearly 80 yards. Either way if you don't make a 1st down on 4th and 3 you still need a touchdown if you kick a field goal.

I can't possibly see him back next year. Way to go Browns. Way to give an extension to a lame duck coach.
That and using all 3 of his timeouts before the two minute warning. Why???

I mean, I'm not complaining though. It worked out in our favor. 8)

LasVegasGuy
09-15-2008, 12:40 AM

That and using all 3 of his timeouts before the two minute warning. Why???

I mean, I'm not complaining though. It worked out in our favor. 8)

Neither am I and his stupidity may have helped us tonight. We were on the back of our heels on the last drive and I really believe if he would have went for it on 4th down he probably would have scored and tied the game. Sending the field goal unit out there basically told me game over.

blacknblue80s
09-15-2008, 12:53 AM
I was also very pleased with the way they tryed to run on 1st and 2nd down in that last drive after picking apart our soft zone with ease.

rpmpit
09-15-2008, 08:43 AM
I think most of us (most football fans in general) know how to handle the clock in the last few minutes of a game just by watching football all these years and playing Madden 8) . So what is this guy's problem?? He looks completely lost out there at times.

frankthetank1
09-15-2008, 08:48 AM
I think most of us (most football fans in general) know how to handle the clock in the last few minutes of a game just by watching football all these years and playing Madden 8) . So what is this guy's problem?? He looks completely lost out there at times.

maybe if he started playing madden or watching more football it would help him out haha.
this is the second week in a row he has kicked a meaningless field goal when a td was needed. they mismanaged the clock in the first and second half. wasted time outs, this guy is awful. i think butch davis was a better coach

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-15-2008, 08:51 AM
They mentioned a couple of times that he descended from the Parcells - Bellichek coaching lineage, but the end of the first half clock management made me think that he came from the Homgren tree.

Jooser
09-15-2008, 09:39 AM
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/293/66417921yy9.png (http://imageshack.us)
"I'm not stupid, Damnit, it's just that a man can't think on an empty stomach!!!"

LasVegasGuy
09-15-2008, 11:43 AM
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/293/66417921yy9.png (http://imageshack.us)
"I'm not stupid, Damnit, it's just that a man can't think on an empty stomach!!!"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BigBen2112
09-15-2008, 12:45 PM
And Crennel is the REASON why I will still 100% maintain that some fans know as much if not more and could do better than some coaches/GMs in sports.

Listen, some of these guys might have more "experience" from a game perspective, but that does not mean that they are necessarily 100% better than some fans.

For example:
1. Crennel screwed the 1st half clock management
2. Crennel screwed the 2nd half clock management
3. He kicks a field goal when it really wouldn't help too much TWO WEEKS in a row
4. Norv Turner has Rivers throw a hail mary when he could have given his kicker at least a CHANCE by throwing a 15-20 yard sideline pattern and had the time to do it.
5. Detroit selects 400 WRs and their whole team sucks.

Those are just examples where I think fans would have gone some different ways.

AngryAsian
09-15-2008, 12:56 PM
Crennel...... beyond stupid.

Iron Shiek
09-15-2008, 12:59 PM
And Crennel is the REASON why I will still 100% maintain that some fans know as much if not more and could do better than some coaches/GMs in sports.

Listen, some of these guys might have more "experience" from a game perspective, but that does not mean that they are necessarily 100% better than some fans.

For example:
1. Crennel screwed the 1st half clock management
2. Crennel screwed the 2nd half clock management
3. He kicks a field goal when it really wouldn't help too much TWO WEEKS in a row
4. Norv Turner has Rivers throw a hail mary when he could have given his kicker at least a CHANCE by throwing a 15-20 yard sideline pattern and had the time to do it.
5. Detroit selects 400 WRs and their whole team sucks.

Those are just examples where I think fans would have gone some different ways.

Here's another:

6. If I was a member of the DNA Level C $hit Stains, I probably would have just called in sick yesterday.

stlrz d
09-15-2008, 02:06 PM
I don't think going for a FG was a bad decision. The clock management was bad, but the FG wasn't, imo.

If they get the ball back a TD wins the game. If they don't get that FG a TD only ties the game.

LasVegasGuy
09-15-2008, 03:01 PM
I don't think going for a FG was a bad decision. The clock management was bad, but the FG wasn't, imo.

If they get the ball back a TD wins the game. If they don't get that FG a TD only ties the game.

3:00 minutes left in the game you need to be playing for the tie. He was already figuring out his next two moves while his opponent was yelling "checkmate".

Iron Shiek
09-15-2008, 03:28 PM
The ultimate problem with the FG was that he wanted to kick it then expected to just march back up there and score a TD when he wasn't able to even do that the entire game. What made him think his team would be able to do it in a 2 minute offense when he couldn't manage the clock if it stood still for him.

He's on Sirius NFL Radio right now and he sounds defeated. I think he knows the vultures are circling...

His biggest excuse was that his main players missed preseason and haven't had the chance to gel. I guess its kind of fair but how bout just admitting :brownssuck .

Flasteel
09-15-2008, 04:00 PM
Sorry guys, but Stlrzd is the only one on here (or in the media that I've seen) that gets it. Going for the field goal was not in any way a stupid move. It was 4th and seven which is a pretty low percentage play. If you go for it and miss, all the wind is out of your sails and if you make it, a TD will now win the game instead of tie it.

If going for it ultimately does produce a TD, the overwhelming likelihood is that there will be plenty of time left for our offense to move down the field to get in FG range for the win. If you need to depend on your defense for a stop in that situation, it's just as necessary as it would be if you get within four (which they obviously didn't get). If they would not have allowed even the second first down on the Parker run, they would have got the ball back with plenty of time on the clock and the Steelers most likely in prevent mode. The way they had been moving the ball against our pass defense, I could easily see where you make the decision to kick the FG. The FG also gives you the added option of the on-sides kick, although that is another low-percentage play.

There is merit in either decision, so quit parroting everything you hear and apply sound football logic to the equation people.

Clock management...horrible. FG decision...sound logic.

Iron Shiek
09-15-2008, 04:17 PM
Sorry guys, but Stlrzd is the only one on here (or in the media that I've seen) that gets it. Going for the field goal was not in any way a stupid move. It was 4th and seven which is a pretty low percentage play. If you go for it and miss, all the wind is out of your sails and if you make it, a TD will now win the game instead of tie it.

If going for it ultimately does produce a TD, the overwhelming likelihood is that there will be plenty of time left for our offense to move down the field to get in FG range for the win. If you need to depend on your defense for a stop in that situation, it's just as necessary as it would be if you get within four (which they obviously didn't get). If they would not have allowed even the second first down on the Parker run, they would have got the ball back with plenty of time on the clock and the Steelers most likely in prevent mode. The way they had been moving the ball against our pass defense, I could easily see where you make the decision to kick the FG. The FG also gives you the added option of the on-sides kick, although that is another low-percentage play.

There is merit in either decision, so quit parroting everything you hear and apply sound football logic to the equation people.

Going by the book...yes its the right decision. But look at the game as a whole. They got that far into our territory 3 times maybe...4? They scored 3 points all game in doing so. I'm not parroting anyone and firmly believe that with the way the entire game went, they have virtually no chance of moving the ball all the way down for a TD when they haven't been able to do it all game. I think either way he went he would have gotten criticized, so its really a wash. And face it, our D wasn't going to let either outcome be a positive one for the Stains. :tt2

Starlifter
09-15-2008, 04:56 PM
Sorry guys, but Stlrzd is the only one on here (or in the media that I've seen) that gets it. Going for the field goal was not in any way a stupid move.

sorry my friend, gotta disagree with that one. Romeo said he wanted to put points on the board and trust his defense to get the ball back so they could win. If he had that much faith in his D, he should have gone for the tie right there. If they miss the play (likely) on 4th down his vaunted (sarcasm ON) defense now has the steelers inside their own 20. a quick stop, save a timeout or 2 and you get the ball back at midfield with at least 1:30 left to try it again. If they make the TD on 4th down, they kick off and rely on that awesome (more sarcasm) defense to stop the steelers again giving the stains about the same 1:30 to try to win the game.

the reality is they needed a touchdown one way or the other. They didn't have many bullets left in their gun to shoot and by kicking the FG they pulled one out and dropped it on the floor....

LasVegasGuy
09-15-2008, 05:14 PM
Sorry guys, but Stlrzd is the only one on here (or in the media that I've seen) that gets it. Going for the field goal was not in any way a stupid move.

sorry my friend, gotta disagree with that one. Romeo said he wanted to put points on the board and trust his defense to get the ball back so they could win. If he had that much faith in his D, he should have gone for the tie right there. If they miss the play (likely) on 4th down his vaunted (sarcasm ON) defense now has the steelers inside their own 20. a quick stop, save a timeout or 2 and you get the ball back at midfield with at least 1:30 left to try it again. If they make the TD on 4th down, they kick off and rely on that awesome (more sarcasm) defense to stop the steelers again giving the stains about the same 1:30 to try to win the game.

the reality is they needed a touchdown one way or the other. They didn't have many bullets left in their gun to shoot and by kicking the FG they pulled one out and dropped it on the floor....

You and I are on the same page here. Now if there was 8:00 minutes left in the game then he made a very good decision. Down by 7 with 3:00 minutes to go this was a very, very stupid move that worked in our favor.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-15-2008, 06:17 PM
So, to not lose they need to get 7 points either now or later. They had to move the ball what, 20 yards to get 7 points now. By kicking the FG, they just ensured that they would have to move a whole lot more than 20 yards (probably closer to 80 or something) to get those same 7 points. FG didn't help.

That was their best, maybe only, drive of the day for them. Doesn't seem smart to me to make winning the game depend on magically doing it again. Then again, as MJG states, the Browns have DNA Level C (spell it backwards).

Don't they have little charts or something like that for these situations? Or smart people in the booth upstairs to whisper in Romeo's ear?

LasVegasGuy
09-15-2008, 06:41 PM
So, to not lose they need to get 7 points either now or later. They had to move the ball what, 20 yards to get 7 points now. By kicking the FG, they just ensured that they would have to move a whole lot more than 20 yards (probably closer to 80 or something) to get those same 7 points. FG didn't help.

That was their best, maybe only, drive of the day for them. Doesn't seem smart to me to make winning the game depend on magically doing it again. Then again, as MJG states, the Browns have DNA Level C (spell it backwards).

Don't they have little charts or something like that for these situations? Or smart people in the booth upstairs to whisper in Romeo's ear?

Not even 20 yards. It was like 4th and 3. He just needed a first down to keep the drive moving and instead elected to kick a field goal. All he screwed was himself, the Browns and the bettors that were laying 6.5 :lol: :lol:

stlrz d
09-15-2008, 09:49 PM
I'm sticking with my assessment. I don't think my way of thinking is the only way, but I don't think going for the FG was a dumb decision.

They needed a lot to happen, but it still wasn't a bad decision, imo.

Flasteel
09-15-2008, 10:21 PM
I'm sticking with my assessment. I don't think my way of thinking is the only way, but I don't think going for the FG was a dumb decision.

They needed a lot to happen, but it still wasn't a bad decision, imo.

And that is pretty much it in a nutshell. The rest of you can tout the merits of going for the fourth down conversion all you want and that's great...I wouldn't in any way call it a stupid move. Like many of you have stated, by kicking the FG, they would have had to get a defensive stop and move the ball the entire length of the field yet again. But the fact is that they would have just done that if they converted and scored. They did it at the end of the first half, they did it in the 3rd quarter, and they would have been facing soft underneath coverage by our defense to try and do it again. As a matter of fact, if you take away that last 26 second possession and look at the final four times they had the ball in that game, they drove it the length of the field on three of them.

For anyone to not see the logic in kicking the field goal and call it a stupid move...well, you're just not applying any football sense and there is no debating that point. I think Shiek might be right that Crennel would have been criticized no matter what and I also think that either decision would have had the same result, which is another loss for the Stains. In either case you would need your defense to make a stop and if you're going to win (either in OT or regulation) you would need your offense to mount a drive. Granted a drive in overtime would only need to be a FG, but you're also assuming they get the fourth down conversion AND score a TD to put them in that position...against our defense.

Logic on both sides and a loss for them no matter how you slice it.

RuthlessBurgher
09-16-2008, 01:29 AM

Not even 20 yards. It was like 4th and 3. He just needed a first down to keep the drive moving and instead elected to kick a field goal. All he screwed was himself, the Browns and the bettors that were laying 6.5 :lol: :lol:

The decision to kick the FG was simply a means of pandering to Cleveland fans. Just glancing at the Browns' boards prior to the game, so many of those delusional fans were sure that they Browns would roll over the Steelers, so many of them probably put a decent amount of money on the game. As the clock was winding down in the 4th quarter, Crennel realized that his sorry team could not actually beat the rival Steelers, but at least he could please his constituency by kicking the field goal so that the Browns would cover the spread, making a lot of Cleveland fans a lot of money; hence, no revolt in Cleveland over his utter ineptitude.

Starlifter
09-16-2008, 09:06 PM
all i know is they needed a TD. after they kicked the FG, they still needed a TD. by kicking the FG they took away an excellent opportunity to get the 1 TD needed. It's probably a waste of time for us to debate it however, good teams always find a way to make the right decision. Teams like cleveland always find a way to make the wrong. I guess that's why deep in my heart - i know the correct call was NOT to kick the FG..... :brownssuck

Flasteel
09-16-2008, 09:46 PM
all i know is they needed a TD. after they kicked the FG, they still needed a TD. by kicking the FG they took away an excellent opportunity to get the 1 TD needed. It's probably a waste of time for us to debate it however, good teams always find a way to make the right decision. Teams like cleveland always find a way to make the wrong. I guess that's why deep in my heart - i know the correct call was NOT to kick the FG..... :brownssuck

:lol: :lol: Hmm...I never considered it from that perspective. You may have me with that logic. :lol:

Steel Life
09-16-2008, 10:14 PM
Is Crennel the stupidest coach to ever roam the sidelines?....

As long as Herm Edwards roams the sidelines - no...
As long as the Super Bowl trophy has Barry Switzer's name on it - no...

Maybe we could honor the worst coach every year by giving him a trophy named after the worst NFL head-coach of all-time - John McKay.

Flasteel
09-16-2008, 10:29 PM
Is Crennel the stupidest coach to ever roam the sidelines?....

As long as Herm Edwards roams the sidelines - no...
As long as the Super Bowl trophy has Barry Switzer's name on it - no...

Maybe we could honor the worst coach every year by giving him a trophy named after the worst NFL head-coach of all-time - John McKay.

John McKay? No way. That guy was a damn good coach despite the rough start in '76 & '77. By 1979 they were a game away from playing us in the Super Bowl.

Worst coach in my lifetime? I'll go with Ritchie Kotite.

papillon
09-16-2008, 11:02 PM
Worst coach of all time...let me throw some names out there for you that may escaped you:

Butch Davis :shock:
Jim Hazlett :shock:
Mike Mularkey :shock:
Dave Wannstedt :shock:
Mike Tice :shock:
Marty Mornhiweh :shock: :shock:
Barry Switzer :shock: (And, he won a Super Bowl) double :shock:

Pappy

AngryAsian
09-16-2008, 11:16 PM
Worst coach of all time...let me throw some names out there for you that may escaped you:

Butch Davis :shock:
Jim Hazlett :shock:
Mike Mularkey :shock:
Dave Wannstedt :shock:
Mike Tice :shock:
Marty Mornhiweh :shock: :shock:
Barry Switzer :shock: (And, he won a Super Bowl) double :shock:

Pappy

I remember Haslett bringing the Aints to one post season, but I can't remember if he actually won his division. Haslett was a good coordinator but I have to agree that the transition to HC was not good for him.

stlrz d
09-16-2008, 11:22 PM
Joe Walton.

Iron Shiek
09-17-2008, 07:56 AM
Whoever that $hitty guy was that replaced Holtz at Notre Dame.

Pete Carroll...the NFL version

Bobby Petrino
Dave Shula was attrocious.

Oh and Ray Handley...how did he ever get a job.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Handley

According Fannation.com [1], George Young picked Handley over current New England Patriots coach and then-Giants defensive coordinator Bill Belichick. Belichick has said this was his most embarrassing career moment. Since then, Belichick has won three Super Bowls and is regarded as one of the best coaches in the game today. [2]

Stupid Belicheat..

AngryAsian
09-17-2008, 08:00 AM
Whoever that $hitty guy was that replaced Holtz at Notre Dame.

Pete Carroll...the NFL version

Bobby Petrino
Dave Shula was attrocious.

Petrino sucks azzz. I hope his tenure at Arkansas is short and ends with a pink slip. Talk about sorry, Lane Kiffen. Poor kid, he didn't have a chance.

LasVegasGuy
09-17-2008, 11:13 AM
How can anyone forget Rich Kotite? My brother is a big Jets fan and a couple times I had to keep him from trying to jump through the TV to strangle this guy.

Starlifter
09-17-2008, 12:51 PM
don't forget wayne fontz! also, hazlett is now working his magic on the sidelines of St. Louis. How many points did his defense give up in the first 2 games? 149ish???

AngryAsian
09-17-2008, 01:49 PM
Bill Callahan and Joe Bugel, two HC failures to fly under the Al Davis banner. :lol: :lol: :lol:

ikestops85
09-17-2008, 01:57 PM
My all-time favorite as worst coach is Jerry Glanville. The only thing he was worse at was being a network analyst. :shock:

stlrz d
09-17-2008, 02:06 PM
My all-time favorite as worst coach is Jerry Glanville. The only thing he was worse at was being a network analyst. :shock:

Glanville to official - The NFL stands for "not for long" and that's what will happen to me if you keep making calls like that! :lol:

Steeler Mafia
09-17-2008, 04:19 PM
Is Crennel the stupidest coach to every roam the sidelines?

Is this a trick question?

Crennel --> Stupid --> Brown's Coach

This couldn't be anymore obvious. :brownssuck