PDA

View Full Version : Mendy Theories

Shawn
09-14-2008, 11:27 PM
Why didn't Mendy get any carries?

Theories?

papillon
09-14-2008, 11:32 PM
Two words ---> Willie Parker. Wwhen would have you inserted Mendenhall? After he muffed the KO?

You guys will see the light soon with Parker. He was a warrior again tonight, inside and outside, made people miss in the hole, trucked a dude and picked up the biggest first down of the game.

I do have to take a little something from his performance for going out of bounds after the first down run late.

Pappy

RussBII
09-14-2008, 11:33 PM

Theories?

My guess: Fumble-itis + Rainy weather + a constantly close game

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-14-2008, 11:34 PM
Two words ---> Willie Parker. Wwhen would have you inserted Mendenhall? After he muffed the KO?

You guys will see the light soon with Parker. He was a warrior again tonight, inside and outside, made people miss in the hole, trucked a dude and picked up the biggest first down of the game.

I do have to take a little something from his performance for going out of bounds after the first down run late.

Pappy

It's only two games, but it looks to me like FWP ate Wheaties all offseason. It's nice being in the position of having a 1st string RB good enough to keep Mendy off the field.

papillon
09-14-2008, 11:36 PM

Pappy

It's only two games, but it looks to me like FWP ate Wheaties all offseason. It's nice being in the position of having a 1st string RB good enough to keep Mendy off the field.

He'd keep all but less than a handful off the field right now. Everybody walk towards the light and start drinking the Willie Parker Kool-aid.

Pappy

Shawn
09-14-2008, 11:36 PM

Pappy

The Parker I have seen in past years...is not the complete package. Parker has looked very good this season. He is running harder...possibly with a grudge. He isn't running up the backside of his lineman (well as much)...and he has more foward lean.

I say I'm cautiously optimistic. He did this against the Browns and Texans. If he can bring it like this against some of the tougher D's...I will be the first to dub him...Sir Parker the great. But, if he beats up on chumps and disappears against solid D's...well I will be very glad we drafted a guy that can complement him.

Flasteel
09-14-2008, 11:37 PM

Theories?

That would be my guess as well.

Mel Blount's G
09-14-2008, 11:45 PM
My theory is: FWP is currently the better RB

papillon
09-14-2008, 11:49 PM

Pappy

The Parker I have seen in past years...is not the complete package. Parker has looked very good this season. He is running harder...possibly with a grudge. He isn't running up the backside of his lineman (well as much)...and he has more foward lean.

I say I'm cautiously optimistic. He did this against the Browns and Texans. If he can bring it like this against some of the tougher D's...I will be the first to dub him...Sir Parker the great. But, if he beats up on chumps and disappears against solid D's...well I will be very glad we drafted a guy that can complement him.

I don't know where the Texans and Browns run defenses will end up, but, on paper, the front 7 of these teams are very good. He looked like a load out there tonight.

Mendenhall will get his chances, but, he'll be brought along like a rookie should. It's the Steeler way (for the most part), they don't draft for immediate impact, bu, when they get it they are grateful.

Pappy

Shawn
09-14-2008, 11:52 PM
I have a feeling the Texans and the Browns will be in the bottom quarter.

papillon
09-15-2008, 12:03 AM
I have a feeling the Texans and the Browns will be in the bottom quarter.

Maybe, but,it will be more a cumulative effect than the defensive lines being bad. I think the Steelers have put in two good game plans to neutralize the strengths of the two teams we have beaten so far. We'll see how it goes form here. It also helps to have a fellow named Ben taking the snaps. The 2nd and 6 or 7 that they converted to salt the game away was using Ben's strengths.

Hadn't seen the little half roll out all evening and when the Steelers needed a big play they had a play that the Browns hadn't seen all nightup their sleeve. That's good coaching and game planning by Arians (he's growing on me).

Pappy

Chadman
09-15-2008, 12:50 AM
Well, it's pretty easy really...

He's a big, bad...

http://www.bigboobsjpgs.com/bigboobsmodels/images/KimChambers08_jpg.jpg

BUST!

Hehehe.... :stirpot

blacknblue80s
09-15-2008, 01:01 AM
If he hadn't fumbled 3 times in the last 2 preseason games, IMO he would have spelled Parker tonight.
It appears Tomlin is afraid to let Mendy carry the ball in atight game. :|

AkronSteel
09-15-2008, 01:12 AM
It's early!! He will get more carries as the season goes on. It is a good thing in my opinion. He will have fresh legs come November and will understand his role and responsibilities a little more. I expect to see him alot more in the 2nd half of the year compared to now.

I really like how Willie is running right now. He is running hard and churning out the tough yards alot more than he did in the past. He seems more content just to take the 3-4 yard run and try to bust one when it is there, as opposed to trying to bust everything. He is much more patient.

Snatch98
09-15-2008, 01:50 AM

Pappy

Mendenhall didn't muff that punt, he was tripped up, unless I missed something. Either way he wasn't inserted because he wasn't needed. Willie is doing everything he needs to do. I imagine we'll see more of Mendenhall as the season wears on and defenses get better.

Discipline of Steel
09-15-2008, 02:04 AM
I dont care that he ran out of bounds on that late first down. HE GOT THE FIRST DOWN! That was worth two minutes off the clock right there. Id say the game was over soon thereafter when rumdum Crennel ended up using his last time out before the 2 minute warning. They were getting the ball back with only 30 seconds left and had no options but to bomb it.

Discipline of Steel
09-15-2008, 02:05 AM
I dont care that he ran out of bounds on that late first down. HE GOT THE FIRST DOWN! That was worth two minutes off the clock right there. Id say the game was over soon thereafter when rumdum Crennel ended up using his last time out before the 2 minute warning. They were getting the ball back with only 30 seconds left and had no options but to bomb it.

frankthetank1
09-15-2008, 07:22 AM
mendenhall definetly didnt muff that kickoff. carey davis tripped him up, man is that guy useless. i like mendenhall a lot but why would they put him in when fwp is playing that well?

papillon
09-15-2008, 08:38 AM

going out of bounds allowed the Browns 26 seconds of clock they shouldn't have had. Weird things happen on jump balls, Edwards is taller than our DBs and if there's no reason to have to defend a hail mary I'd prefer that.

It wasn't a huge mistake, but, a mistake none the less. He stays in, the Steelers kneel on the ball to run off the final 2 minutes and Willie doesn't have to get hit 3 more times. Staying in bounds was the play to make.

Pappy

rpmpit
09-15-2008, 08:47 AM
Parker is just playing very well right now. And it was a tight game down to the last drive.

If Tomlin was concerned about Mendy fumbling, why would he have him returning kickoffs???

papillon
09-15-2008, 08:56 AM
mendenhall definetly didnt muff that kickoff. carey davis tripped him up, man is that guy useless. i like mendenhall a lot but why would they put him in when fwp is playing that well?

My bad...it was just a cluster f*** all the way around and fortunately worked out in the Steelers favor.

On a side note, Woodley made a heads up play knocking the ball out of bounds on a kickoff, had he not been the last person to touch it, I believe the Browns would have had the ball on the 2 or 3 yard line.

Pappy

frankthetank1
09-15-2008, 08:57 AM

My bad...it was just a cluster f*** all the way around and fortunately worked out in the Steelers favor.

On a side note, Woodley made a heads up play knocking the ball out of bounds on a kickoff, had he not been the last person to touch it, I believe the Browns would have had the ball on the 2 or 3 yard line.

Pappy

yea that was just a mess. mendenhall probably should of caught it before it landed but it looked like moore was having the same problems on punts. wow i didnt realize woodley knocked it out of bounds. heads up play indeed

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-15-2008, 09:56 AM
You mean even if the Browns didn't have possession, if they were the last to touch it would have been their ball way back there?

Yikes!

Shawn
09-15-2008, 10:09 AM
Parker is just playing very well right now. And it was a tight game down to the last drive.

If Tomlin was concerned about Mendy fumbling, why would he have him returning kickoffs???

I agree...interesting question. That's why I wanted to hear peoples thoughts. If Mendy is a fumble risk...why is he returning KOs? Did he get himself in the doghouse? Parker was running well but Mendy didn't even spell him...not once. There is more to this than we know.

papillon
09-15-2008, 10:34 AM
You mean even if the Browns didn't have possession, if they were the last to touch it would have been their ball way back there?

Yikes!

I'm not positive, but, since the kickoff is a free ball and the kicking team has possession to start; I believe in a scramble situtation like that they can award the ball to the kicking team. I'm not certain, but even if that isn't the case, knocking it out of bounds and not allowing the Browns to actually recover it on the field of play is big as well.

Pappy

phillyesq
09-15-2008, 03:04 PM

Theories?

:Agree

I think it was a combo of the factors mentioned by Russ, plus FWP running well. I think that Mendenhall will contribute as the season goes on. Early, I think he'll be used like he was in the Texans game -- giving an occasional rest to Parker, and then mop-up time. As he gets more comfortable, and as he regains more confidence, I think he'll see his role expanded a bit. With the Steelers, especially with skill position players, it seems that they generally don't contribute as rookies until at least the halfway point in the season.

FWP has looked great so far. As long as he keeps running this way, I think that he should remain the starter. But I'm still looking forward to FWP and Mendy forming a great 1-2 combo.