PDA

View Full Version : Unofficial game balls: Week 2

SteelTorch
09-14-2008, 11:25 PM
Wow, am I glad that's over with. That was painful to watch. Anyhoo...

Offense:

This was really hard. I was going to give it to Holmes, then Hines, but after considering, I think I have to give this to Big Ben. With almost 10 YPA, 113 rating, and the only TD scored of the game, I have to give it to him.

Runners up:

Willie Parker, without a doubt. He wasn't very flashy, but he helped move the chains.

Holmes - Also helped move the chains, had 94 yards receiving, made a couple crucial catches, and had an awesome 46 (?) yard catch to set us up for the field goal.

Defense:

This was a little easier. I have to give it to none other than my favorite player - Troy Polamalu! He very well may have saved the game with his crucial interception. He also looked solid in coverage and made several plays along the LOS as well.

Runners up:

B-Mac! He also had an interception and crucial stop in the red zone.

Aaron Smith - had the only sacks on our side. Other than that, the D-line was less than spectacular in getting pressure. Linebackers weren't much better.

Special teams:

Yeah, the less said about this, the better. Actually, they would have been great, as we didn't give up a ton of yards on kicking, but on receiving it seemed like every ball was dropped and almost ended up in Cleveland's hands. And don't tell me it was the wind, Cleveland didn't have that problem. They almost single-handedly cost us the game. WTF was up with Mewelde Moore?

All in all, a very ugly game. I'm willing to give them some leeway cause of bad conditions, but we should have done better. I'd say our D won that one for us. Oh well, by an inch or a mile, a win is a win, and I'll gladly take this over a loss any day. 8)

Congratulations, Steelers! We now own the reg-season series! :tt2 :tt1 :Steel

stlrz d
09-14-2008, 11:33 PM
Agreed...thanks for saving me all that typing!

Mel Blount's G
09-14-2008, 11:38 PM
Offense
a) Willie/ Holmes
b) O-line

Defense
a) B-mac
b) Harrison/Troy

Special Teams
a) skippy
b) Harrison/spaeth

buckeyehoppy
09-14-2008, 11:57 PM
Game Balls for Week 2 v. the Clowns:

Offense: FWP. There is no arguing with 28 carries and 105 yards. If it wasn't for the schizophrenic game plan early on, FWP has even better #s than that. FWP's season has All-Pro written all over it. :tt1

Defense: BMac. His coverage against Edwards was a big reason for a clutch Steelers win. BMac came in relief of Deshea and might have had the best game yet in his career tonight. Way to nut up BMac! :tt2

STs: The punt and kickoff coverage teams. These guys held Joshua Cribbs to 66 yards in 6 returns. That is an average of 11 yards a carry. Considering the history this guy has had against the Steelers, that was a money effort for the coverage units. :Steel

AngryAsian
09-15-2008, 12:01 AM
One Game Ball: Aaron Smith..... 2 sacks against the stoutest side of their right side heavy line. Quite impressive.

papillon
09-15-2008, 12:10 AM
Not going to give game balls for offense, defense and special teams, just one overall game ball for the game. For me the coverage units earned it tonight. I've been extremely critical of Ligashevsky and his units; I never had the feeling that the Browns were going to break one. Cheers to the coverage units. :Cheers

Honorable mention: (in no particular order)

Bruce Arians - excellent game plan, execution and play calling
Willie Parker - Warrior
Troy Polamalu - Big INT, a lot of solid tackles and a couple short of the sticks
Bryant McFadden - I believe we've seen the end of the DeShea Townsend era as a starter.
Ben roethlisberger - The most clutch quarterback in the game right now

Pappy

Oviedo
09-15-2008, 08:36 AM
Not going to give game balls for offense, defense and special teams, just one overall game ball for the game. For me the coverage units earned it tonight. I've been extremely critical of Ligashevsky and his units; I never had the feeling that the Browns were going to break one. Cheers to the coverage units. :Cheers

Honorable mention: (in no particular order)

Bruce Arians - excellent game plan, execution and play calling
Willie Parker - Warrior
Troy Polamalu - Big INT, a lot of solid tackles and a couple short of the sticks
Bryant McFadden - I believe we've seen the end of the DeShea Townsend era as a starter.
Ben roethlisberger - The most clutch quarterback in the game right now

Pappy

Good to see someone has recognized the excellent job that Arians has done so far this year. He got way too much blame for the players lack of execution, but the reality is that in these two year in charge our QB has evolved to the next level as has our offense.

frankthetank1
09-15-2008, 08:39 AM
the secondary played lights out and another great game by the o-line. first quarter was a little shakey but other than that they played great. ben had all day to throw on most plays and that big pass to hines in their own endzone was huge. im guessing that they have given up 4 sacks in two games? i couldnt of hoped for any better so far

papillon
09-15-2008, 08:52 AM
the secondary played lights out and another great game by the o-line. first quarter was a little shakey but other than that they played great. ben had all day to throw on most plays and that big pass to hines in their own endzone was huge. im guessing that they have given up 4 sacks in two games? i couldnt of hoped for any better so far

I like what I've seen from the O-line thus far this year. They aren't nearly as bad as many thought they would be (myself included) and the best part about them so far is that they appear to be able to adjust to what the defense is doing to them and make plays.

Yea, they got a beat a couple times (Marvel once and Simmons once), but, nothing horrible and I remember on a couple of the sacks wishing Ben would have thrown it instead of looking for a play. I'm not blaming him for the sacks, but, he could have mitigated the pressure a bit by throwing it rather take the sack looking for a play.

I was surprised no screen passes (at least that I recall), except the failed one to Ward early. I thought the Browns would have been susceptible to a few screens, because, they were coming hard all night.

Given the fact that Ben played with a separated shoulder and took only a couple direct blows to the shoulder the offensive game plan was good and the protection was good. Ben doesn't need a lot of time regardless what some think. When he's holding it for what seems like an eternity isn't because he's made bad reads, it's because he's trying to make a play.

Pappy

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-15-2008, 09:05 AM
The unknown extent of Ben's injury makes this a difficult choice. If he did play with a separated shoulder, then there is no other choice on O. A couple of drops made his numbers look more average than they should have been.

O line - Improved over last year to the point where we can say that Ben will have time to make some plays on occasion. That is more than we can say about last year.

D - I guess the game ball should go to Lebeau. First remember that we played a team that is considered to have an explosive offense in their park and didn't give up a TD. The line didn't get much pressure, but did a good job taking away the run. The LBs also did nothing spectacular but were effective. The DBs made plays, but often when there were 6 of them in passing situations. That combination of being effective but not looking spectacular usually means solid gameplan.

ST - Wow, what a turnaround on coverage units this year. We still don't have anyone who can field a punt, but we have shut down two explosive returners this year so far.