PDA

View Full Version : Wind tonight.....

Starlifter
09-14-2008, 02:09 PM
gusting up to 35 MPH. gotta believe this helps us more than the stains.

stlrz d
09-14-2008, 02:22 PM
I would agree.

Flasteel
09-14-2008, 03:18 PM

Not so sure about that. The Stains universally recognized weakness (that is, their greatest among many), is that inept secondary. Our passing game's efficiency is without a doubt one of our greatest strengths.

If we can't throw downfield to exploit them, they'll be able to more readily stack the box and make this a low-scoring slugfest with turnovers playing a critical role. That's the only chance they have.

Shawn
09-14-2008, 03:23 PM

Not so sure about that. The Stains universally recognized weakness (that is, their greatest among many), is that inept secondary. Our passing game's efficiency is without a doubt one of our greatest strengths.

If we can't throw downfield to exploit them, they'll be able to more readily stack the box and make this a low-scoring slugfest with turnovers playing a critical role. That's the only chance they have.

I have to agree with ya FLA. If you are the better team...the elements tend to hurt you. It shortens the game and makes the game one dimensional which is a HUGE favor to the underdog.

BigBen2112
09-14-2008, 03:35 PM
We have a tradition of being able to stop Lewis and if the Browns cant pass then I dont know what their offense can do.

I think this equals the game out. Whichever team's OL and RB play better will win the game I think. Hopefully that's us!

Shawn
09-14-2008, 03:42 PM
Lets not forget the hurricane game between Miami and Pittsburgh. The Steelers were a much better team...and we all know how that played out.

Flasteel
09-14-2008, 03:51 PM

I have to agree with ya FLA. If you are the better team...the elements tend to hurt you. It shortens the game and makes the game one dimensional which is a HUGE favor to the underdog.

I guess you lost a bet, based on that sig, huh? :lol:

Hopefully tonight will ease the pain for you Shawn.

By the way, I read a weather report that said sustained winds between 15 and 30 mph with gusts up to 50. That's pretty miserable crap right there.

Shawn
09-14-2008, 04:12 PM

By the way, I read a weather report that said sustained winds between 15 and 30 mph with gusts up to 50. That's pretty miserable crap right there.

Yep...which could lead to more random turnovers. Think about Ben passing...a big gust blows the ball into a Browns defenders hands.

This kind of thing usually plays into the underdogs hands.

And yea...I lost a bet. :x :oops:

Les 74
09-14-2008, 04:23 PM

Yep...which could lead to more random turnovers. Think about Ben passing...a big gust blows the ball into a Browns defenders hands.

Hey,guys.The Brownies have to throw the ball too and considering how one dimensional they are that can only help us.

stlrz d
09-14-2008, 04:28 PM
I didn't even think about it from the passing aspect. I was thinking of it more from the aspect that the Browns really only have a passing game, whereas we have both.

Maybe it does even it up a bit but if it comes down to having to throw in the wind I'll put my money on Ben over DA every time.

Ozey74
09-14-2008, 04:42 PM
I had to deal with the same weather system this morning from 9am till 1pm & it was a bitch! I hope the storm weakens by the time the game starts.

buckeyehoppy
09-14-2008, 05:09 PM
Factor into all of this that it will also be raining.

Right now, the chances of the elements being similar to the Miami game are very good. It's already windy as hell and darkening by the minute. The first edge of the front coming in looks like it will only be skimming the shoreline, but there's supposed to be stuff coming in behind that.

This game will be about protecting the ball and running effectively. The Clowns don't have an answer for FWP. If passing does factor into any of this, it will consist of short screen passes. That's an area the Steelers have improved, but I wouldn't necessarily take that element of the game to the bank just yet.

Shawn
09-14-2008, 05:11 PM

And yea...I lost a bet. :x :oops:[/quote]

Hey,guys.The Brownies have to throw the ball too and considering how one dimensional they are that can only help us.[/quote]

All it does is shorten the game...and make us both one dimensional. If you are the better team...you want...no wind...no snow...no rain...and a longer game.

Let me compare this to poker. If an inferior player is playing a guy who is more skilled...it benefits the inferior player to force the other guy to all in decisions. He should want to shorten the game...which decreases his chances that he will be outplayed.

Les 74
09-14-2008, 05:16 PM

Hey,guys.The Brownies have to throw the ball too and considering how one dimensional they are that can only help us.[/quote]

All it does is shorten the game...and make us both one dimensional. If you are the better team...you want...no wind...no snow...no rain...and a longer game.

Let me compare this to poker. If an inferior player is playing a guy who is more skilled...it benefits the inferior player to force the other guy to all in decisions. He should want to shorten the game...which decreases his chances that he will be outplayed.[/quote]

That was kinda my point,Shawn.All Cleveland had is its passing game.We have both and if its going to be a battle in the elements,I'll take us every time.

stlrz d
09-14-2008, 05:18 PM
Can you guys go back and edit your posts to fix the quote tags?

:|

RuthlessBurgher
09-14-2008, 05:21 PM
I had to deal with the same weather system this morning from 9am till 1pm & it was a bitch! I hope the storm weakens by the time the game starts.

I agree. The winds that were gusting at times in the other corner of Ohio were pretty severe for the 1:00 p.m. game against the Titans. Hopefully everything calms down a bit by 8:00 p.m. tonight.

Ozey74
09-14-2008, 05:32 PM
Even if the weather is bad, I just hope the field is better than what it was at Heinz last year when we played the Fins'. That was a game the Steelers very well could of lost!

:brownssuck

buckeyehoppy
09-14-2008, 06:08 PM
Looks like we are dodging a bullet in Clownstown. There may be no rain after all, but there is a $#!+load of wind right now and that probably isn't stopping.

Current conditions 2 hours from kickoff and 7 miles from the Clown's Tent: Windy, Windy, Windy!!! and just some slight drizzle, but the wind is negating the rain at this point.

Ozey74
09-14-2008, 06:10 PM
Looks like we are dodging a bullet in Clownstown. There may be no rain after all, but there is a $#!+load of wind right now and that probably isn't stopping.

Current conditions 2 hours from kickoff and 7 miles from the Clown's Tent: Windy, Windy, Windy!!! and just some slight drizzle, but the wind is negating the rain at this point.

Thanks for the update!

:tt2

Flasteel
09-14-2008, 07:01 PM
High winds pummeling Northeast Ohio, elsewhere in state

by Brie Zeltner Sunday September 14, 2008, 6:16 PM
High winds coming from what's left of Hurricane Ike have knocked out power to at least 30,000 in Northeast Ohio and that number is expected to grow.

The winds are remnants of Hurricane Ike, which made landfall in southeast Texas Saturday morning, devastating much of Galveston.

Wind gusts have reached 46 miles per hour at Hopkins International Airport in the last hour, and have topped off at 62 miles per hour at the Mansfield Lahm Municipal Airport, according to the National Weather service. Sustained winds at both locations have been about 40 miles per hour.

Calls of wires and trees down started coming in to police and fire dispatch from all parts of Cleveland about 5 p.m. and hasn't let up. Crews from FirstEnergy, Cleveland Public Power, and the urban forestry department were kept busy clearing trees and downed power lines from cars and roads.

Winds have already toppled a tree in Lakewood and power outages have been reported on the west side of Cleveland. Voltage from a nearby utility pole set a tree on fire on Ledge Road in Northfield.

Roughly 30,000 people were without power at 6 p.m. in the greater Cleveland area, according to FirstEnergy spokesman Mark Durbin.

He could not say which communities were affected, but said that about 15,000 customers from Avon Lake to Ashtabula, and another 15,000 in the Akron-Medina area had lost power.

"If this keeps blowing the way it does that number is sure to rise," he said. "We'll be working for the next few days to get everyone back up and running."

The National Weather Service has issued a high wind warning until midnight for most of Northeast Ohio.

Wind gusts could reach 60 miles per hour this evening and gust to 65 miles per hour overnight, when thunderstorms are expected.

buckeyehoppy
09-14-2008, 07:23 PM
High winds pummeling Northeast Ohio, elsewhere in state

by Brie Zeltner Sunday September 14, 2008, 6:16 PM
High winds coming from what's left of Hurricane Ike have knocked out power to at least 30,000 in Northeast Ohio and that number is expected to grow.

The winds are remnants of Hurricane Ike, which made landfall in southeast Texas Saturday morning, devastating much of Galveston.

Wind gusts have reached 46 miles per hour at Hopkins International Airport in the last hour, and have topped off at 62 miles per hour at the Mansfield Lahm Municipal Airport, according to the National Weather service. Sustained winds at both locations have been about 40 miles per hour.

Calls of wires and trees down started coming in to police and fire dispatch from all parts of Cleveland about 5 p.m. and hasn't let up. Crews from FirstEnergy, Cleveland Public Power, and the urban forestry department were kept busy clearing trees and downed power lines from cars and roads.

Winds have already toppled a tree in Lakewood and power outages have been reported on the west side of Cleveland. Voltage from a nearby utility pole set a tree on fire on Ledge Road in Northfield.

Roughly 30,000 people were without power at 6 p.m. in the greater Cleveland area, according to FirstEnergy spokesman Mark Durbin.

He could not say which communities were affected, but said that about 15,000 customers from Avon Lake to Ashtabula, and another 15,000 in the Akron-Medina area had lost power.

"If this keeps blowing the way it does that number is sure to rise," he said. "We'll be working for the next few days to get everyone back up and running."

The National Weather Service has issued a high wind warning until midnight for most of Northeast Ohio.

Wind gusts could reach 60 miles per hour this evening and gust to 65 miles per hour overnight, when thunderstorms are expected.

Right now, I'm just hoping that I get to watch this magillah.

Lakewood, home to 55,000 people and 55 million trees is just west of downtown. Just now, we had a power surge that knocked us off the grid for a minute. Chances are good I will have to go someplace and watch this and sign off here, but we'll see. I intend on riding this out. The beer here is paid for and the breeze, when not gusting, feels really good.

As for the game, the same things that affect the community may well affect the game. I'm sure the Clown's Tent has backup power, but we'll see how that holds up. Cleveland has a way of screwing up the insurance policy, too.

Jigawatts
09-14-2008, 07:52 PM
I'm just hoping I don't lose power tonight. The lights have been flickering on and
off and I've got a bad feeling I'll be in the dark. I'll listen to the game on the radio
in my car if I have to...

I'll keep you all updated because I know you care so much. :wink:

Shawn
09-14-2008, 11:17 PM
Anyone really believe we are only 4 points better than the Browns?

stlrz d
09-14-2008, 11:20 PM
Anyone really believe we are only 4 points better than the Browns?

No.

Starlifter
09-14-2008, 11:54 PM
too damn close but 2-0 feels awesome!!! I know Willie got his c-note but I thought we'd have more success running. It would be awesome to meet the turds again at the end of the year with the division locked up. Maybe they can beat our 2nd team......