PDA

View Full Version : Your grade for Goodell?

Djfan
09-13-2008, 11:29 PM
The other thread on the Ratbirds inspired this, but I have heard this talk before.

Grade him and give a reason for your vote.

stlrz d
09-13-2008, 11:47 PM
Overall I don't think he's anything special. I don't like the way he handled Spygate, I don't like the way he reinstates players (Pacman) who should be gone and I don't like the overseas regular season games...but I think he handled this situation just fine.

Hogerules33
09-13-2008, 11:51 PM
I like the way he handles players with disciplinary problems off the field. He takes a very hard line, refusing to let the inmates run the asylum. Really distinguishes the NFL from the NBA and its myriad problems.

I hated the way he handled the Pats* spygate scandal. Rushed to judgment before all of the evidence was available, handed out a punishment that was probably too light, and then proceeded to destroy the evidence before Congress could get involved.

Canceling NFL Europe = Good move. That was a 30 million dollar loss posted every year for the NFL, so that was a no brainer. However, scheduling regular season games outside of the U.S. has angered many fans.

Moving more regular season games to the NFL Network, when it isn't offered on many cable providers packages, and then demanding that the cable providers put the network on their basic package, has angered even more fans and brings up serious questions about the NFL's Anti-Trust exemption.

Overall I'd grade him adequate. It's only been two years so time will tell what his ultimate legacy is.

Shawn
09-14-2008, 12:47 AM
Goodell rocks!!!

:Bow

:tt2

:Clap

:tt1

:!:

BigBen2112
09-14-2008, 10:13 AM
He's an absolute dud.

I mean lets be honest here. People praise him for his role in disciplining players when they screw up off the field...BUT he DOESNT discipline a coach when he cheats ON the field? That is more than a double standard. That is flat our atrocious.

NFL games in Europe taking away HOME games from fans? Yeah that is a brilliant idea Goodell :roll:

Goodell is an absolute MESS as Commissioner.

BIG FAN
09-14-2008, 12:08 PM
I gave a D, but I think C- is more like it. At first I thought he was going to do o.k. with player discipline problems but I think he was too soft on a few of them as well as destroying evidence in spygate.
I have not seen anything yet from his office as to allude to any king of great legacy in the making.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-14-2008, 01:24 PM
Horrible. For his role in sending the signal that cheating is worth it (let's see - 3 SB rings vs a few draft picks ... hmmmmm) he will forever live in infamy. His apparent business calculations was a classic management error of aiming for the short term gain (shut the inquiry down fast by destroying evidence) at the expense of long term much bigger loss ( let the investigation proceed with the benefit of restoring long-term full confidence in NFL integrity).

He makes Pete Rose and the Chicago Black Sox look like choir boys, and the dumbest small business owner in America look like Bill Gates.

So his mismanagement of the Ratbirds game is completely expected. Here's an example of what he should have done, real life: I was talking to someone this past Tuesday who believe it or not had an outdoor wedding planned in Houston this Saturday (the day Ike hit). Her plan was definite and simple ... she was going to wait until Wednesday, and if the storm didn't change course enough so that it was pretty much guaranteed to miss Houston, she was going to start calling everyone and making other arrangements.

For Goodell this is too much to do? Sheesh :roll:

But besides all that, he's OK :D

stlrz d
09-14-2008, 01:29 PM
Horrible. For his role in sending the signal that cheating is worth it (let's see - 3 SB rings vs a few draft picks ... hmmmmm) he will forever live in infamy. His apparent business calculations was a classic management error of aiming for the short term gain (shut the inquiry down fast by destroying evidence) at the expense of long term much bigger loss ( let the investigation proceed with the benefit of restoring long-term full confidence in NFL integrity).

He makes Pete Rose and the Chicago Black Sox look like choir boys, and the dumbest small business owner in America look like Bill Gates.

So his mismanagement of the Ratbirds game is completely expected. Here's an example of what he should have done, real life: I was talking to someone this past Tuesday who believe it or not had an outdoor wedding planned in Houston this Saturday (the day Ike hit). Her plan was definite and simple ... she was going to wait until Wednesday, and if the storm didn't change course enough so that it was pretty much guaranteed to miss Houston, she was going to start calling everyone and making other arrangements.

I don't think comparing moving an outdoor wedding to moving an NFL game is fair.

Shawn
09-14-2008, 02:40 PM

I don't think comparing moving an outdoor wedding to moving an NFL game is fair.

:lol:

Rickt011
09-14-2008, 05:33 PM
May he go down as the commissioner that allowed cheating to prosper! The man has lost all credibility and yet he is still the commissioner. Many have left watching this sport because of this guy. Time to let him walk. Can't be trusted!

SteelTorch
09-14-2008, 05:50 PM
Where to begin...

He's incredibly inconsistent in handing out punishments. He seems to have no clue how to run a business, and his handling of the Patriots Spygate was an abomination. He and Kraft...yeah, total butt buddies. :x