PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' offense presents problems

fordfixer
09-13-2008, 03:27 PM
Steelers' offense presents problems
Browns will have to stop Parker, Roethlisberger and teammates Ward, Holmes on Sunday

By George M. Thomas
Beacon Journal sports writer
http://www.ohio.com/sports/browns/28342539.html

Published on Saturday, Sep 13, 2008

BEREA: If the Pittsburgh Steelers' offense hoped to grab the attention of the Browns' defense with their 38-17 win over the Houston Texans mission accomplished.

The Browns' defense is fully aware of the task before them when they take on the Steelers on Sunday night.

Against the Texans, the Steelers had just 305 yards but still dominated the game, courtesy of the running of Willie Parker. He gained 138 yards and scored three touchdowns on 25 carries.

How much did Parker control the game? Ben Roethlisberger had to throw the ball just 14 times, completing 13 of them, two for touchdowns.

''He's a good back. He's a great complement to the offense. He's small, he's fast and they've got a big offensive line,'' Browns linebacker Andra Davis said of Parker. ''He's the type of dude you have to continue to go after. You have to keep after him the whole game because he's a home run back. You can stop him, stop him, stop him and then he can get you for 40, 50 yards.''

Linebacker D'Qwell Jackson said that Parker's ability to cut back makes him dangerous.

''You have to keep an eye on him and wrap up on him. He uses the spin move pretty well,'' Jackson said. ''If you leave him any little bit of daylight or any opportunity, he's able to take it 90 yards or wherever it is on the field.''

The Steelers aren't one dimensional. Far from it.

With Roethlisberger at quarterback and two solid receivers in Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes, they have the weapons to move the ball.

Additionally, Roethlisberger has the ability to make plays and to keep those that appear to have broken down going with either his arm or legs.

''They're very complementary of each other,'' Davis said of Roethlisberger and Parker. ''It all starts with the quarterback, but if the quarterback has a good running game like he has, it takes a lot of pressure off of him.''

Former Browns quarterback Bernie Kosar said the best way to beat the Steelers is to take away that running game.

''When he's throwing in the teens [in pass attempts], they have a high propensity to win, but when he's throwing for 300 yards and in the mid-20s, they have a high propensity to lose,'' Kosar said. ''Obviously you want to get them out of their comfort zone.''

Wimbley to play

Browns linebacker Kamerion Wimbley suffered a groin injury Wednesday and went through a limited practice Friday. He expects to play Sunday. ''I'm just resting it up a little bit, working with the trainers,'' he said. He'll work out before the game.

Ready to dive in

Safety Brodney Pool will return to the lineup after recovering from a concussion. He's eager to return to the field, especially against the Steelers.

''I'm ready to be back and I'm ready to play,'' he said. ''I'm excited to be back in there with those guys. We haven't beaten them since I've been here. We're ready to change the tide.''

Edwards talks tickets

The Avon Police Department has issued Browns wide receiver Braylon Edwards a speeding ticket for going 120 mph in a 65 mph zone almost two weeks after the fact.

Police said they clocked Edwards as he was traveling west on Interstate 90 near Chester Road on Aug. 29.

After the officer saw that Edwards' passenger was visibly ill and because of his cooperation with the officer, Edwards received a verbal warning and was allowed to go. After a television station brought the incident to Chief Paul T. Romond's attention, a citation was issued Thursday, and a reprimand was placed in the officer's file.

''This incident was brought to the attention of my office on Sept. 11. After a review of the circumstances and speaking with the officer involved, it was determined that the appropriate course of action was to issue a citation,'' Romond said. ''Mr. Edwards came to the Avon Police Department and received a copy of his traffic citation.''

Edwards downplayed the incident.

''All it was was a speeding ticket. I'm not the first person to get a speeding ticket,'' he said. ''The officer let me off for good behavior and that was the situation.

''And because of Channel 19, it got brought back, resurfaced, and there it was. I got a ticket.''

Injury report

Safety Sean Jones (knee) and tight end Martin Rucker (knee) are out for the game. Wide receiver Donte' Stallworth (quadriceps) and tackle Ryan Tucker (hip) are listed as doubtful. Kick returner Josh Cribbs (ankle), guard Rex Hadnot (knee) and Pool (concussion) are listed as questionable. Linebackers Kris Griffin and Wimbley are probable.

Backers to meet

The Akron Browns Backers club will meet at 6:30 p.m. Monday at the 356th Fighter Group restaurant near the Akron-Canton Airport in Green.

Former Browns defensive back Ben Davis will be guest speaker. New members are welcome to the free event.

For club information, call 330-630-2311.