PDA

View Full Version : OT - Ravens game is off

stlrz d
09-13-2008, 12:44 PM
and some of their fans are already whining that the NFL somehow purposely wronged them.

http://www.baltimoresun2.com/talk/showt ... p?t=161380 (http://www.baltimoresun2.com/talk/showthread.php?t=161380)

:roll:

BigBen2112
09-13-2008, 12:59 PM
I'd be pizzed too.

Sorry, but the NFL, namely Goodell handled the situation improperly. Goodell is a moron. Plain and simple. He's the worst commissioner of the NFL in a long time without a doubt.

This hurricane was given the status of "sure death" that no hurricane since Katrina had been given AND HE THOUGHT THEY'D BE ABLE TO PLAY A GAME IN TWO DAYS?!

Something should have been played earlier than now and the fact that it wasnt shows Goodell's inability as Commissioner.

RuthlessBurgher
09-13-2008, 01:39 PM
Right now, the Ravens are scheduled to have a week 10 bye, while the Texans are scheduled to have a week 8 bye. The Texans are scheduled to play Cincinnati week 10. The Bengals are also scheduled to have a week 8 bye. They should move the Bengals-Texans game to week 8, then play the Ravens-Texans game week 10. Make this week the bye for both the Ravens and the Texans, and give the Bengals a week 10 bye. Problem solved.

RuthlessBurgher
09-13-2008, 01:47 PM
The Texans are scheduled to play at Tennessee in week 3 and at Jacksonville week 4, so hopefully they are able to fix whatever damage was done to Reliant before their scheduled against the Colts at home on 10-5-08.

NKySteeler
09-13-2008, 02:45 PM
This hurricane was given the status of "sure death" that no hurricane since Katrina had been given AND HE THOUGHT THEY'D BE ABLE TO PLAY A GAME IN TWO DAYS?!

...This condition was only stated for those few idiots that chose to remain on Galveston Island, and even party/drink at a beachfront bar when the storm surge was predicted to come close to 20ft. Not for the "majority" of the hurricane in general.. (actually, the statement was "certain death" when issued by the NWS due to the tidal surge.)

Now yes, he should have known better. A perfect example was Bens' first start in Miami the evening after a hurricane. In that situation, the residents of Miami were experiencing a "hardship" situation, and the game was rather untimely. I was there. ... Goodell should have learned from past situations and planned accordingly.

...Ruthless seems to have the best idea, but putting something like that together is much easier said than done. But obviously, something will have to be arranged.

Something should have been played earlier than now and the fact that it wasnt shows Goodell's inability as Commissioner.

...Are you suggesting they should have played the game sooner? What do you want him to do? Call-up God and find out exactly where it was going to go?... Remember, the storms' track was somewhat of a variable right up till Friday. It could have tracked 40 miles to the east and it wouldn't have been a problem for Houston. ... And if you did want it sooner, should folks be at a game or preparing for a major storm? It's a "lose/lose" situation either way in that regard.

BigBen2112
09-13-2008, 03:34 PM

...This condition was only stated for those few idiots that chose to remain on Galveston Island, and even party/drink at a beachfront bar when the storm surge was predicted to come close to 20ft. Not for the "majority" of the hurricane in general.. (actually, the statement was "certain death" when issued by the NWS due to the tidal surge.)

Now yes, he should have known better. A perfect example was Bens' first start in Miami the evening after a hurricane. In that situation, the residents of Miami were experiencing a "hardship" situation, and the game was rather untimely. I was there. ... Goodell should have learned from past situations and planned accordingly.

...Ruthless seems to have the best idea, but putting something like that together is much easier said than done. But obviously, something will have to be arranged.

...Are you suggesting they should have played the game sooner? What do you want him to do? Call-up God and find out exactly where it was going to go?... Remember, the storms' track was somewhat of a variable right up till Friday. It could have tracked 40 miles to the east and it wouldn't have been a problem for Houston. ... And if you did want it sooner, should folks be at a game or preparing for a major storm? It's a "lose/lose" situation either way in that regard.

The word "PLAYED" was supposed to be PLANNED. Something should have been PLANNED earlier. My bad.

NKySteeler
09-13-2008, 03:41 PM
The word "PLAYED" was supposed to be PLANNED. Something should have been PLANNED earlier. My bad.

But it's still the same issue... How do you plan when you don't know exactly what's gonna happen?

BigBen2112
09-13-2008, 03:46 PM

But it's still the same issue... How do you plan when you don't know exactly what's gonna happen?

The discussions that are on-going right now could have been done then.

I am just presenting the other side of the story that is all.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-13-2008, 03:50 PM
Well, my first thought to the post title, "Ravens game is off" was - "Yeah, it's been off for years, what's the big news", then I realized it wasn't a comment on their suckiness in general :D

Agree with all the above, and just to state the obvious :ratsuck

NKySteeler
09-13-2008, 03:55 PM
The discussions that are on-going right now could have been done then.

I am just presenting the other side of the story that is all.

It seems as though you're just bustin' on Goodell, so I'm playing devils' advocate, Benny... :wink:

...Should there be an "alternate plan" for every game? He was going on the initial assumption that the storm was going to track more easterly, and wouldn't be too much of an issue for Houston... We're talking ONE day (as of Friday morning they weren't sure that it would track right up Galveston Bay)...

If that's the case, let's look at another scenerio... This winter is predicted to be much wetter than average. Assuming this, should we expect a winter like '76 or '77, and should plans be made to reschedule the Browns/Steelers closer of the season in case of a blizzard? Of course not. And that's my point... You can only react after the actual fact. ... I don't see this as a Goodell screw-up at all.

stlrz d
09-13-2008, 03:59 PM
I agree with you NKy. I'm not a huge Goodell fan, but this is one where he can't be faulted, imo.

NKySteeler
09-13-2008, 04:03 PM
I agree with you NKy. I'm not a huge Goodell fan, but this is one where he can't be faulted, imo.

Hey stlrz, think we could drum-up enough OSU 'Nuts to start a gameday thread (or actually keep the one going) over on the college forum?!..... :twisted:

papillon
09-13-2008, 05:38 PM
Why not just move the venue to Baltimore? So, the Texans play and extra away game and the Ravens get an extra home game; but, the game would have been played as fairly as it can given the circumstances.

I think changing the bye week from the 8th or 10th week to the second is less fair. Just because in the middle of the season you're trying to get people healed.

Oh, yea, and Goodell has got to be the worst commissioner in all of sports.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
09-13-2008, 05:48 PM
Why not just move the venue to Baltimore? So, the Texans play and extra away game and the Ravens get an extra home game; but, the game would have been played as fairly as it can given the circumstances.

I think changing the bye week from the 8th or 10th week to the second is less fair. Just because in the middle of the season you're trying to get people healed.

Pappy

If you are going to move it to a different location, I would favor sending it to a neutral location such as Atlanta. I realize that they did move a Giants-Saints game to the Meadowlands that was originally scheduled to be played in New Orleans when Katrina hit, but I don't think it is fair to penalize the city hit by the hurricane by taking away a home game and making it an away game instead.

Taking away a home game and making it a neutral field game would be more palatable to the Texans, I would think (assuming that they don't go with my original plan to make this their bye week and play this game later in the season, which I think is the most fair; although they get stuck with an early bye week, it is only two weeks earlier than 6 other teams' byes, plus they have they will have already done much of the game planning for their opponent).

I realize that the league likely would not do this because it would be a tough sell for fans from another NFL city to buy tickets for a team that is not their own on such short notice (so the stadium would be mostly empty and the owners would hate to lose the ticket revenue) but I think that would be more fair than moving it to Baltimore.

NKySteeler
09-13-2008, 06:08 PM

Pappy

I think there are issues such as revenue for the city, as well as the "home game" issue... Remember how cranky Miami/NY was over losing a home game? (I think it was NY last year, but that was international, and a completely different breed of cat...)

...And FWIW, I'm not necessarily a Goodell fan either. But this wasn't his fault, IMO.... :wink:

NKySteeler
09-13-2008, 06:10 PM
I realize that the league likely would not do this because it would be a tough sell for fans from another NFL city to buy tickets for a team that is not their own on such short notice.

...Didn't San Diego play a "home game" over in Phoenix due to the brush fires a few years ago?...

stlrz d
09-13-2008, 07:19 PM
It's official...Ravens fans are the biggest effing crybabies in the league...period!

http://www.baltimoresun2.com/talk/showt ... p?t=161425 (http://www.baltimoresun2.com/talk/showthread.php?t=161425)

stlrz d
09-13-2008, 07:22 PM
One guy posted this:

They are going to move it to week 10. There are too many positive reasons to do so.

1. Houston airports are closed....Texans couldn't travel here or New Orleans or anywhere.

2. Two days is a short window for organizing support groups. i. e. security, concessions, ticket takers, local police, ticket sales etc.

3. Houston will keep its home game.

4. gives the people of southern Texas some time to start cleaning up. Lets not forget why this is an issue.

Only real negative is both teams having this as a bye week. Not the end of the world.

Which makes a lot of sense...and he is being chastised for it.

I gotta tell you, if something like this happened to the Steelers and everyone started whining and crying I would be seriously disappointed in Steelers Nation.

BigBen2112
09-13-2008, 09:33 PM
Sign Suggs Now

I hate the Texans. I hope they don't win a game all season. Our season got a lot harder just because they couldn't be flexible at all and just try and work out the situation so we aren't screwed because of unlucky scheduling. Bunch of a-holes.

WOW...REAL CLASSY FANS YOU HAVE THERE IN BALTIMORE HUH?! :roll: :roll: :roll:

NKySteeler
09-13-2008, 09:40 PM
Thier game has been rescheduled for Nov 9th.......

papillon
09-13-2008, 10:01 PM

Pappy

I think there are issues such as revenue for the city, as well as the "home game" issue... Remember how cranky Miami/NY was over losing a home game? (I think it was NY last year, but that was international, and a completely different breed of cat...)

...And FWIW, I'm not necessarily a Goodell fan either. But this wasn't his fault, IMO.... :wink:

How long has the NWS, NOAA and the weather channel been reminding us about Ike? I think the NFL certainly has a lot of culpabiltiy in this by waiting until the last minute to try and do something.

A neutral site or play it in Baltimore is better than changing it to Monday night and then cancelling the game and rearranging the bye weeks. The Ravens lose in this now, wouldn't you rather have a bye week when your team is more banged up from playing 9 games than after 1 game?

Goodell and the NFL suits handled it poorly.

Pappy

NKySteeler
09-13-2008, 10:39 PM
How long has the NWS, NOAA and the weather channel been reminding us about Ike? I think the NFL certainly has a lot of culpabiltiy in this by waiting until the last minute to try and do something.

I disagree for the same reasons as already stated.... Sorry Pap, but you just cannot plan for these things....

:2c

fordfixer
09-13-2008, 11:33 PM
Posted: 3 hours 40 minutes ago
Ravens-Texans game postponed; Bengals also affected

Associated Press
http://www.nfl.com/news/story;jsessioni ... nfirm=true (http://www.nfl.com/news/story;jsessionid=13090C70A090E0BCB938117C13FBB2D0? id=09000d5d80ac4273&template=without-video&confirm=true)

HOUSTON -- The Baltimore Ravens-Houston Texans game was rescheduled to Nov. 9 after Reliant Stadium was severely damaged by Hurricane Ike.

The Texans' home opener was originally scheduled for Sunday, then postponed to Monday night as Ike approached the Gulf Coast. The Category 2 storm slammed into Texas on Friday night and moved into Houston early Saturday morning.

Ike tore chunks off the stadium's retractable roof and the damage couldn't be fixed in time for the game, said Shea Guinn, the president and general manager of Reliant Park.

"There are parts of the roof that are completely gone," Guinn said.

The retractable roof on the $352 million venue rolls open in nine sections. Guinn said five of the sections were missing and large pieces of debris had fallen into the stadium.

"It's hard to tell what came from where," Guinn said.

The Texans said alternate sites for Monday night were considered, but logistics made them impossible.

The new date also affects the Cincinnati Bengals' schedule.

Houston was originally scheduled to play the Bengals on Nov. 9. Now, those teams will play on Oct. 26 and Cincinnati will take its bye week on Nov. 9, when the Texans now play the Ravens.

Baltimore had an open date on Nov. 9 on its original schedule.

Ravens coach John Harbaugh canceled Saturday's scheduled practice and will give players Sunday, Monday and Tuesday off. Baltimore plays Cleveland on Sept. 21.

"We will adjust. Our focus now turns to preparing for the Browns," Harbaugh said. "Without a bye, we believe we need to give the players the next few days off. We'll have a Cleveland game plan ready for them when they come in on Wednesday."

The Texans aren't scheduled to play at home again until Oct. 5, but Guinn said he wasn't sure when repairs could be completed. He said the stadium also sustained some water damage at street level.

Reliant Stadium sits next to the Astrodome. Guinn said Saturday afternoon that he had not yet inspected the dome for storm damage. The Texans' air-supported practice "bubble" across the street was deflated Thursday and was not damaged, Guinn said.

Three years ago, when the New Orleans Saints were displaced because of Hurricane Katrina, they played four of their scheduled home games at LSU's Tiger Stadium, three in San Antonio and one in East Rutherford, N.J., against the New York Giants.

fordfixer
09-13-2008, 11:41 PM
Baltimore Ravens' revised schedule
Date Oppenent Time
Sept. 14 Bye
Nov. 9 at Houston Texans 1 p.m. ET
Cincinnati Bengals' revised schedule
Date Oppenent Time
Oct. 26 at Houston Texans 4:05 p.m. ET
Nov. 9 Bye
Houston Texans' revised schedule
Date Oppenent Time
Sept. 14 Bye
Oct. 26 Cincinnati Bengals 4:05 p.m. ET
Nov. 9 Baltimore Ravens 1 p.m. ET

RuthlessBurgher
09-14-2008, 05:17 PM
I think this was the best possible solution, all things considered (and I'm not saying that because I posted this exact same idea yesterday before their ultiamte plans were revealed).

Ozey74
09-14-2008, 06:09 PM
Boo Hoo about losing their bye! Those fans who are upset should think about all the residents of Houston and how hard their life has become. It's a damn pity that the Ravens lost their bye. They still have a 5 month off season (- OTA's) to have a breather.

I agree with D'.....The Ravens fans are the biggest effing babies!!!

:ratsuck

RuthlessBurgher
09-14-2008, 08:04 PM
The Ravens fans can stop crying about losing their bye. They had a bye last week when the Bengals came to town. :bungalssuck :lol: