PDA

View Full Version : Feisty Steelers at practice

Oviedo
09-12-2008, 12:26 PM
Hopefully this carries over to Sunday night and there is a real beat down.

Steelers on edge

By Jim Wexell
SteelCityInsider.com
Posted Sep 12, 2008

The Steelers explained away their, um, feistiness in practice by blaming it on the importance of Sunday night's game against the Cleveland Browns. But Coach Mike Tomlin tried to disagree.

PITTSBURGH – Mike Tomlin called it “a good, spirited practice.”
Chris Hoke called it “feisty.”

Ike Taylor repeatedly stated that these types of spirited and feisty practices “just happen sometimes.”

The Steelers had two separate fights break out during Thursday’s practice, but both broken up quickly.

The first involved rookie defensive end Bruce Davis and tight end Matt Spaeth, and when Andre Frazier got involved, so did Willie Parker. That was the lengthy skirmish.

The second skirmish was one punch: Taylor reached up and socked rookie Limas Sweed in the face, and there it ended.

“I don’t know what I did, to be honest with you,” said Taylor, the veteran cornerback. “But it happens sometimes, all those hostilities, all that testosterone. I’m sure if y’all worked together in a small little box, y’all going to go at it, too. I’m talking about reporters.”

Sweed, whose locker is close to Taylor’s, walked past as Taylor spoke. Taylor was asked if the two get along. “Yeah, we get along,” he said. “You know how that happens sometimes when you’re so competitive. But once you get off the field and walk back in the locker room, it’s nothing. Everybody’s so competitive, and we know what’s at stake. It just happens sometimes.”

Hoke echoed Taylor’s “what’s at stake” line, saying the team understands the importance of Sunday night’s game against the Browns and may be on edge a bit. Tomlin, though, wouldn’t blame it on the Browns.

“All these games are important,” the coach said. “Don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to take anything away from this rivalry we have with Cleveland. It’s special. But this is the National Football League. Every one of them is precious. We’d better have that edge to us every week.”

frankthetank1
09-12-2008, 01:04 PM
i guess that can be a good thing. good thing tomlin isnt suspending ike

Iron Shiek
09-12-2008, 01:15 PM

Why would he suspend him? Steve Smith socked his teammate with intent to harm it seemed and wailed on him. It sounds like this happened in the course of play or whatever, but cooler head prevailed and Ike restrained himself and the rook didn't escalate it either.

I like the toughness but lets hope no stupid penalties happen in the game as a result of this kind of contact. That's the last thing they need, especially being on the road. No need to shoot yourself in the foot.

frankthetank1
09-12-2008, 01:17 PM

Why would he suspend him? Steve Smith socked his teammate with intent to harm it seemed and wailed on him. It sounds like this happened in the course of play or whatever, but cooler head prevailed and Ike restrained himself and the rook didn't escalate it either.

I like the toughness but lets hope no stupid penalties happen in the game as a result of this kind of contact. That's the last thing they need, especially being on the road. No need to shoot yourself in the foot.

i dont know why he would. why was steve smith suspended? i thought that was a pretty stupid way of dealing with smith (eventhough it didnt matter against the chargers). i was just sayin thats all

AkronSteel
09-12-2008, 02:25 PM
I like it!! I think this team is very focused right now and are going to come into Cleveland with a chip on their shoulder, as I stated earlier in the week. This team has heard for the last 9 months how the Clowns are the favorite in the division and are going to take the division this year. I think that the team is set on making an example out of the Stains on Sunday Night, in front of a nationally televised audience. I think that this will set a tone for the entire year.

Besides, :brownssuck

BIG FAN
09-12-2008, 02:35 PM
Looks like the boys got some juices flowing, and have decided not rest on their laurels.
Wish I could have read Sweed fought back.
I love it when they PRACTICE hungry.

frankthetank1
09-12-2008, 02:38 PM
Looks like the boys got some juices flowing, and have decided not rest on their laurels.
Wish I could have read Sweed fought back.
I love it when they PRACTICE hungry.

im glad sweed didnt fight back. he proved he can keep his cool when provoked. maybe he can give a.smith some tips on control. sweed must have some intelligence.

ghettoscott
09-12-2008, 02:40 PM
The second skirmish was one punch: Taylor reached up and socked rookie Limas Sweed in the face, and there it ended.

“I don’t know what I did, to be honest with you,” said Taylor, the veteran cornerback. “But it happens sometimes, all those hostilities, all that testosterone. I’m sure if y’all worked together in a small little box, y’all going to go at it, too. I’m talking about reporters.”

This makes it sound like Sweed did the punching.... :?:

RussBII
09-12-2008, 02:40 PM

i dont know why he would. why was steve smith suspended? i thought that was a pretty stupid way of dealing with smith (eventhough it didnt matter against the chargers). i was just sayin thats all

Steve Smith busted up his teammates face, broke his nose in fact. Not just one punch. Plus, it was the second time he beat up a teammate.

ghettoscott
09-12-2008, 02:41 PM
..or is Ike saying he doesnt remember throwing the punch?

BIG FAN
09-12-2008, 02:43 PM

I thought that too, for a moment.
I may not know nothing about anything, but I do know it takes two to tango.

frankthetank1
09-12-2008, 02:45 PM

Steve Smith busted up his teammates face, broke his nose in fact. Not just one punch. Plus, it was the second time he beat up a teammate.

im not justifying what smith did but a fight is a fight pretty much. it might of been one punch or two, who knows. its not all that hard to break a nose

Jigawatts
09-12-2008, 02:45 PM

Nah, I think Ike's saying he's not sure why he threw a punch at Sweed.

ghettoscott
09-12-2008, 02:49 PM

Nah, I think Ike's saying he's not sure why he threw a punch at Sweed.

that scares me more...we dont need that ishh in a game.

RussBII
09-12-2008, 02:55 PM

im not justifying what smith did but a fight is a fight pretty much. it might of been one punch or two, who knows. its not all that hard to break a nose

There was more to it than that. If I remember correctly, Ken Lucas made a good play on Smith and was clowning around afterwards. Then Smith went off on him. The Ike/Limas thing sounds more like a quick instinctive reaction sorta thing.

Regardless, it's bad.

Also, I think the biggest reason he was suspended is because its a repeat offense

sd steel
09-12-2008, 02:57 PM

I think the big difference is that Ike punched Sweed while he was wearing a helmet and playing against each other, whereas Smith fights happen on the sidelines without helmets.

AngryAsian
09-12-2008, 08:14 PM
I love the intensity. I just want it channeled to anyone wearing brown and orange. I think come Sunday we're going to see some serious shiiiiiiit! I really can't wait to see this D work its magic again. People have been saying, "Oh it was against the Texans." Like they weren't competitive last year. The Texans' D has more bite than the Browns, so I anticipate a more punishing score in this contest. But the Turds always try and play us tough.